Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

first year with the shamrock

So - this spring we traded in the popup for the shamrock 23WS hybrid camper. I will say, back when we bought the popup (a 2010 Rockwood highwall 277) we had really wanted a hybrid but had to settle for the popup due to weight limits with our tow vehicle. Now, we really did like our popup, it had so many bells, it had air conditioning, hard sided bathroom with flush toilet, outside kitchen slide out, inside stove/oven, microwave, and lot of counter space but I never really wanted a popup...... just never liked having to lift the roof and the set up.
Then we got a better tow vehicle. It still took us 4 years after getting the new TV, but we kept going to the RV shows, looked at the hybrids but came away thinking we still liked our popup. None of the hybrids had the counter space and the outside kitchen like our popup had though the IKSS came real close.
Then the 23WS came out with that wardrobe slide and private back room. And the bathroom with the corner shower - ooh la la, a women's dream come true. We had the camper home shortly after.....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160322_162707695.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	125427

Our first outing was Mother's Day weekend - local state park and it was a cool rainy weekend. Everything worked perfectly, we were warm, dry and comfy. The hybrid is faster to set up than the popup was

Name:	IMG_20160507_163106095.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	125425
We put on the popup gizmos (PUGs) and fixed the dinette so our bikes can travel there. We have put 1734 miles on the new camper in 11 trips covering 35 nights. We have been to Niagara Falls, to central Virginia (Lake Anna), PA state parks, the beach at Chincoteague and back to NY in the Finger Lakes area.

Name:	IMG_20160610_093806163_HDR.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	469.6 KB
ID:	125426Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160806_160045706.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	462.4 KB
ID:	125424

Needless to say, we are having a great time.

Thinking back, when we tented - we only went out one week a year to the to the beach, 9 years of the beach. We love the beach and still go for our week, but the last 6 years since getting the popup (and now the hybrid) my sister and I have taken our daughters all over the country. We have been to Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, Grand Teton, Niagara Falls, and Myrtle Beach. We have been white water rafting, kayaking, canoeing, and hiking. We have seen bison, elk, wild turkeys, antelope, and big horn sheep. We have gone to gardens, museums, and historical sites. We have taken the time to see the sunset and gone out late at night to see meteor showers.

I hope our daughters hold these memories as dearly as I do.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #2

I'm happy you're having a great time with your 23WS. We have one too (it's a Roo 23ws)....A perfect hybrid with no issues so far. Bought it last fall and we did 8 trips this summer. Next year, I'll be working three days a week. That means a lot of four day weekend...

Camping memories never go away, and your daughters will always remember those great moments.
We have seven grandkids under ten year old, and for the past three years, we've been bringing them a few at the time, and they're always looking forward to the next time we'll bring them.

1- They love riding their bikes around the campgrounds with hardly any supervision. We feel there's a trust in the camping world.....A big family that look over each other and ready to help you out if needed.

2- They love making smores and singing around a campfire (I make sure I bring my guitar).

3- Playing board games on the picnic table, walking in a campground at night, etc etc......

Of course as grandparents, it is our duty to spoil them all, and then bring them back to their parents

Dre
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:16 AM   #3

Have no concern about your Daughters preserving fond memories about their camping adventures. In the 70's, we traveled all over the country during summer vacations to National Parks and camped locally when not on vacation. Our 4 "kids" now in their 50's are still in love with the outdoors and continually talk about their camping experiences during family get-to-gethers. You are building a lifetime if wonderful memories and experiences that your family will cherish and recall whenever the chance arises.
GOOD JOB
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:33 AM   #4

Our kids still talk occasionally about all the memories we made when they were growing up. We tented , then had 2 different pop ups.
Now, our kids are grown and sometimes it's just dw and me. Many times though, we have grandkids along (all under 8). They are the main reason we bought a hybrid. We just drop the back bed and they have their own special place.
Also, they seem to think that they need to go anytime we do. Ok with us but can't always happen.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #5

first year with the shamrock

Wow! Great post! My wife and I started out in a pop up (her family had a truck camper while she was growing up) we then bought a 17' hybrid and had it for 6 years.

Now we have the Shamrock 23 WS and we really love it! I think we camped 25 days this year and they spent many nights yard camping here at home.

Yesterday we had an unusually warm day here in pa and we took the bikes to Presque Isle, it made us miss the Shamrock and can't wait for next year!

Happy camping everyone!
Old 11-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #6

Camping with the Roo23WS

Loved the pictures and enjoyed your post about your new hybrid. My wife and I picked up our new Roo23WS in September. We used it three nights coming home from Indiana; no problems. Hope to take it to Florida soon. I am curious what that tow vehicle is you are pulling that camper with. Can you tell me a little about how it performs pulling that camper?
delaware dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #7

Hope you have a good trip to Florida. What TV are you using?

To answer your question, my tow vehicle is a 2011 Dodge Durango (3rd generation). We have been very happy with the way it has handled the camper. Pulls well and stops well but I do feel the camper back there. It has the 5.7 liter v8 Hemi engine with factory tow package. It is the same engine that is in the ram pickup, had a salesman tell me I would run out of frame before I run out of engine. The 23ws is as long as I am comfortable towing with the Durango. I can keep up with traffic and the hills I have encountered in PA and NY have not been an issue. We are a bit limited as it has a carrying capacity of 1300 lbs, typical for an SUV.
It has a tow capacity of 7200 lbs and our 23ws is around 6200 lbs when loaded for camping. I use the E4 equalizer weight distribution hitch.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #8

Pulling the 23WS

I pulled my Roo23WS with a 2007 Nissan crew cab pick-up. (2 wheel drive) It has a V-6, 4 liter engine. Can tow 6400 lbs and carry 550 lbs. on the hitch. We had a large (1402 Jayco, duel axle, Pop-up) for years before this trailer. This Roo is the biggest and heaviest thing I have ever pulled. We have the weight distribution system and an anti-sway bar. Never had any sway problem or stopping problem. Towed it 700 miles but tried to keep it at 60 or less. Little problem on the hills, but that is to be expected. Would not head for the Rockies with this truck, but should be fine between here in flat Delaware and flat Florida.
delaware dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #9

Yeah, your trip to Florida should be fairly flat. We are planning another trip out west next summer, will see how the Durango handles the Rockies with the hybrid.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #10

trip west

Get off the turnpike and take a turn north up I75 and try flat Michigan. I noticed Michigan is not colored in on your map yet.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Get off the turnpike and take a turn north up I75 and try flat Michigan. I noticed Michigan is not colored in on your map yet.
one day will head to Michigan.......still work so our big trips are spaced a few years apart. this coming summer (2017) we are heading from maryland to the grand canyon......taking three weeks and we still won't be able to see everything.... but the map will be getting a bit more filled in.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #12

OPs post went off track.......Come on folks !
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
I hope our daughters hold these memories as dearly as I do.
I'm sure they will, and would be great that they in turn will want to build with there kids in the future. We have brought our kids up camping, tent and P'ups, and they still go with us at times....at 27 and 30...
Then the Grandson just adds another dimension to it....
We camped quite a bit before, But moving to a Hybrid made it easier to take off for short weekend trips, and we are leaving for trip 21 ( I think) of the year this afternoon....All 5 of us....
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shamrock