Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #1

Flagstaff Shamrock 21SS not charging, microwave and half of outlets not working

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2016 Flagstaff Shamrock 21SS Hybrid trailer. On our last trip, while connected to 30A shore power, we noticed that the batteries were not charging, the microwave didn't work nor did half of the outlets.

I checked all breakers and fuses and everything was OK. I checked the GFIC in the bathroom, and it wouldn't trip or reset. I think this is because there is no power to it.
Two outlets do work and so does the A/C. Also, while connected to our truck, the batteries charge.

Do you think it might be the converter? How do I test it?

Thanks!
ZDarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
Always Learning

Your converter makes 12v from 120v but wouldn’t impact other 120v appliances.

If it’s a 50amp rig and you were using an adapter, I think your adapter was bad and it was dropping one of the 50amp legs.

Try a different adapter.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Your converter makes 12v from 120v but wouldn’t impact other 120v appliances.

If it’s a 50amp rig and you were using an adapter, I think your adapter was bad and it was dropping one of the 50amp legs.

Try a different adapter.
Kinda dough a 21' hybrid has a 50 amp service
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDarryl View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2016 Flagstaff Shamrock 21SS Hybrid trailer. On our last trip, while connected to 30A shore power, we noticed that the batteries were not charging, the microwave didn't work nor did half of the outlets.

I checked all breakers and fuses and everything was OK. I checked the GFIC in the bathroom, and it wouldn't trip or reset. I think this is because there is no power to it.
Two outlets do work and so does the A/C. Also, while connected to our truck, the batteries charge.

Thanks!
Since you had some outlets and A/C are working I have to assume your Ped was not tripped. Neither was your Main breaker. Didn't need to check the fuses, they are 12 volt. Your problem is 120 volt.

How did you check the breakers???? Did you turn them off and back on? Just looking is not checking.

I'm gonna guess you tripped the breaker marked GFI and have not reset it correctly. Off and On. Have you replaced the battery lately? Might have blown the 2 -30 amp reverse polarity fuses on the converter. That will stop it from charging.
There is a breaker labeled Converter. Off and On.

disconnect the battery and check the output of the converter with a multi-meter.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #5

if the a/c and outlets are working you have power into the distribution panel. do you know what each circuit breaker within the panel controls? it is possible there is one breaker for the gfci and outlets that are not working, one for the converter, and one for microwave. or they might be consolidated into only two. as cavie said start by resetting each breaker by turning it all the way off and then back on. hopefully this corrects the problem. but to have multiple breakers go out at the same time would seem to be abnormal. a lot would depend upon how your panel is wired. can you post a picture of it including the labeling. this might giver a clue about what is happening. do the reset of the breakers!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
Site Team

X3 what Cavie and ChickDoe said. Reset the breakers and post a pic of the panel.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Since you had some outlets and A/C are working I have to assume your Ped was not tripped. Neither was your Main breaker. Didn't need to check the fuses, they are 12 volt. Your problem is 120 volt.

How did you check the breakers???? Did you turn them off and back on? Just looking is not checking.

I'm gonna guess you tripped the breaker marked GFI and have not reset it correctly. Off and On. Have you replaced the battery lately? Might have blown the 2 -30 amp reverse polarity fuses on the converter. That will stop it from charging.

disconnect the battery and check the output of the converter with a multi-meter.
I turned off all of the breakers and back on several times.
I checked all of the fuses and all are good.
I will need to check the output of the converter again. I think I checked it while we were camping, but don't remember what the output was if any.

My trailer is 30 amp and I have 4 inside outlets and 1 outside outlet. 2 of the inside outlets work, the outside and two other outlets don't work.

I think I only have one GFIC and it is in the bathroom, and doesn't have power, so it won't trip or reset.

All of the items that don't work, microwave, 2 inside outlets, 1 outside outlet are all on the same wall of the trailer, not sure if that means anything...
Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:

I turned off all of the breakers and back on several times.
I checked all of the fuses and all are good.
I will need to check the output of the converter again. I think I checked it while we were camping, but don't remember what the output was if any.

My trailer is 30 amp and I have 4 inside outlets and 1 outside outlet. 2 of the inside outlets work, the outside and two other outlets don't work.

I think I only have one GFIC and it is in the bathroom, and doesn't have power, so it won't trip or reset.

All of the items that don't work, microwave, 2 inside outlets, 1 outside outlet are all on the same wall of the trailer, not sure if that means anything...

I will confirm what each breaker does and take a pic of the panel.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Do the outlets that work have a 'GFCI Protected' label on them?

Does the microwave have a dedicated breaker in the power panel?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #10

If you have some AC outlets not working don't jump to the conclusion your converter is bad. There is a strong possibility it is not getting power just like the rest of the dead outlets. Since you mentioned outside outlets, look for another GFCI that is feeding them.

Might also be a good idea to pull the cover off the distribution panel and look for neutral wires loose at the bus. Another member posted a pic showing how several of his came loose and burned at the connection point.

If you have a Multi-meter, check for AC at the power inlet of your converter. If no 120Vac, move on and keep looking for the bad connection.

Lastly, outlets with GFCI's incorporated in them are not the only outlets that can be daisy chained with other outlets. Might be a good idea to pull outlets that have power out of the wall and see if the wire feeding the next group of outlets along the chain has come loose.

The converter should only be suspect AFTER you have restored power to the other non-working outlets and it still doesn't work. Think "Occam's Razor" where the simplest solution is often the best solution.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #11

Sounds like possible a bad GFCI that won't reset. Pull the GFCI and see if have power on one end and not other. If so, change it and plug in. If that's not it, I have no idea.
Old codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:

I have a 2018 21SS with a GFCI next to the kitchen sink. It's to the left as soon as you walk in the door. Might want to check and see if you have a GFCI near the kitchen.
Griggs_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #13

Quote:

The outside outlet is also a GFCI outlet and may need to be reset.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #14

Once again, have you pulled the GFCI out and checked the wires to see if one end or the other is hot to see if you actually have a bad GFCI. When they go bad they won't reset and also won't show voltage in the outlet. You need to pull it and check the wires for voltage unless you have done that already.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #15

there's much speculation and much practical advice. i would still like to know how many circuits are affected. a picture of the distribution panel would go a long ways. unless a solution is stumbled upon by chance, it seems to be the process would be to take the panel cover off and measure output voltage from each breaker to ensure you are getting power into the cable run. if you are then start pulling receptacles and looking for the loose wire somewhere. but it is still hard for me to accept the the converter, microwave, and one or two gfci outlets are all on a single circuit breaker. but in the rv world it appears that anything is possible. can we see the panel?
Old 02-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
I'm not familiar with the electrical system on this trailer,but if you have a built in microwave and an AC seems like you might have a 220 volt 50 amp service.
If you use an adaptor and hook up a 50 amp service to a 30 amp campsite outlet you would loose half your electrical service to your trailer.

Ben
benfox49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfox49 View Post
I'm not familiar with the electrical system on this trailer,but if you have a built in microwave and an AC seems like you might have a 220 volt 50 amp service.
If you use an adaptor and hook up a 50 amp service to a 30 amp campsite outlet you would loose half your electrical service to your trailer.

Ben
He doesn’t, it’s a 30 amp service on all the Roo Hybrids.

Op, most likely you have another tripped GFI further up the chain. Go through the unit and try to find it, plenty of directions already posted on where to look.
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #18

A small camper like that only has 30 amp service and none have 220 volt unless some of the Xlarge motorhomes and huge 5ers may have 220 which I'm not sure of.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 PM   #19

There have been reports in some threads here on the forum of wiring from the circuit breakers being loose. You might want to check that all the leads to the breakers are tightly attached.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Kinda dough a 21' hybrid has a 50 amp service
I totally read past that it was a hybrid. There was something with the way the post was written that made me think it was a big camper adapted down.

I’m glad most everyone else realizes it and have been helpful!

Tags
charging, flagstaff, microwave, shamrock