Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #1

Flagstaff Shamrock 21SS not charging, microwave and half of outlets not working

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2016 Flagstaff Shamrock 21SS Hybrid trailer. On our last trip, while connected to 30A shore power, we noticed that the batteries were not charging, the microwave didn't work nor did half of the outlets.

I checked all breakers and fuses and everything was OK. I checked the GFIC in the bathroom, and it wouldn't trip or reset. I think this is because there is no power to it.
Two outlets do work and so does the A/C. Also, while connected to our truck, the batteries charge.

Do you think it might be the converter? How do I test it?

Thanks!

ZDarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Your converter makes 12v from 120v but wouldn’t impact other 120v appliances.

If it’s a 50amp rig and you were using an adapter, I think your adapter was bad and it was dropping one of the 50amp legs.

Try a different adapter.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Your converter makes 12v from 120v but wouldn’t impact other 120v appliances.

If it’s a 50amp rig and you were using an adapter, I think your adapter was bad and it was dropping one of the 50amp legs.

Try a different adapter.
Kinda dough a 21' hybrid has a 50 amp service

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDarryl View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2016 Flagstaff Shamrock 21SS Hybrid trailer. On our last trip, while connected to 30A shore power, we noticed that the batteries were not charging, the microwave didn't work nor did half of the outlets.

I checked all breakers and fuses and everything was OK. I checked the GFIC in the bathroom, and it wouldn't trip or reset. I think this is because there is no power to it.
Two outlets do work and so does the A/C. Also, while connected to our truck, the batteries charge.

Do you think it might be the converter? How do I test it?

Thanks!
Since you had some outlets and A/C are working I have to assume your Ped was not tripped. Neither was your Main breaker. Didn't need to check the fuses, they are 12 volt. Your problem is 120 volt.

How did you check the breakers???? Did you turn them off and back on? Just looking is not checking.

I'm gonna guess you tripped the breaker marked GFI and have not reset it correctly. Off and On. Have you replaced the battery lately? Might have blown the 2 -30 amp reverse polarity fuses on the converter. That will stop it from charging.
There is a breaker labeled Converter. Off and On.

disconnect the battery and check the output of the converter with a multi-meter.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #5

if the a/c and outlets are working you have power into the distribution panel. do you know what each circuit breaker within the panel controls? it is possible there is one breaker for the gfci and outlets that are not working, one for the converter, and one for microwave. or they might be consolidated into only two. as cavie said start by resetting each breaker by turning it all the way off and then back on. hopefully this corrects the problem. but to have multiple breakers go out at the same time would seem to be abnormal. a lot would depend upon how your panel is wired. can you post a picture of it including the labeling. this might giver a clue about what is happening. do the reset of the breakers!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
Head Rambler

X3 what Cavie and ChickDoe said. Reset the breakers and post a pic of the panel.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Since you had some outlets and A/C are working I have to assume your Ped was not tripped. Neither was your Main breaker. Didn't need to check the fuses, they are 12 volt. Your problem is 120 volt.

How did you check the breakers???? Did you turn them off and back on? Just looking is not checking.

I'm gonna guess you tripped the breaker marked GFI and have not reset it correctly. Off and On. Have you replaced the battery lately? Might have blown the 2 -30 amp reverse polarity fuses on the converter. That will stop it from charging.

disconnect the battery and check the output of the converter with a multi-meter.
I turned off all of the breakers and back on several times.
I checked all of the fuses and all are good.
I will need to check the output of the converter again. I think I checked it while we were camping, but don't remember what the output was if any.

My trailer is 30 amp and I have 4 inside outlets and 1 outside outlet. 2 of the inside outlets work, the outside and two other outlets don't work.

I think I only have one GFIC and it is in the bathroom, and doesn't have power, so it won't trip or reset.

All of the items that don't work, microwave, 2 inside outlets, 1 outside outlet are all on the same wall of the trailer, not sure if that means anything...
Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post

I turned off all of the breakers and back on several times.
I checked all of the fuses and all are good.
I will need to check the output of the converter again. I think I checked it while we were camping, but don't remember what the output was if any.

My trailer is 30 amp and I have 4 inside outlets and 1 outside outlet. 2 of the inside outlets work, the outside and two other outlets don't work.

I think I only have one GFIC and it is in the bathroom, and doesn't have power, so it won't trip or reset.

All of the items that don't work, microwave, 2 inside outlets, 1 outside outlet are all on the same wall of the trailer, not sure if that means anything...

I will confirm what each breaker does and take a pic of the panel.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Head Rambler

Do the outlets that work have a 'GFCI Protected' label on them?

Does the microwave have a dedicated breaker in the power panel?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #10

If you have some AC outlets not working don't jump to the conclusion your converter is bad. There is a strong possibility it is not getting power just like the rest of the dead outlets. Since you mentioned outside outlets, look for another GFCI that is feeding them.

Might also be a good idea to pull the cover off the distribution panel and look for neutral wires loose at the bus. Another member posted a pic showing how several of his came loose and burned at the connection point.

If you have a Multi-meter, check for AC at the power inlet of your converter. If no 120Vac, move on and keep looking for the bad connection.

Lastly, outlets with GFCI's incorporated in them are not the only outlets that can be daisy chained with other outlets. Might be a good idea to pull outlets that have power out of the wall and see if the wire feeding the next group of outlets along the chain has come loose.

The converter should only be suspect AFTER you have restored power to the other non-working outlets and it still doesn't work. Think "Occam's Razor" where the simplest solution is often the best solution.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, flagstaff, microwave, shamrock