Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 08:24 AM   #1

Floor repair

Looking for Info on the subfloor material going to tear into a soft spot on my 2005 roo and would like to have a sheet of plywood available
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #2

Not sure about the specifics of the Roo, but I fixed a small soft spot in the floor of my Flagstaff Ultra Lite and it's not as clear cut as one might think.

I'm sure the ROO floors are the same construction, it's 1/8Luan with foam in the middle of it like a sandwich.

I had a small soft spot 12"x6". However, when I pulled the vinyl floor up, I discovered it was more like 3'x3'. I ended up ripping out all the bad wood that was rotted all the way to good wood. I took special screws from Home Depot which go through Wood and Metal. I then took pressure treated 2x4's and ripped them down to size to make them even with the current floor. I screwed the pressure treated wood to the aluminum framing and essentially made my own subfloor. I filled all the voids with insulating foam sheets that I cut down and then I put Luan overtop to make it match up with exisiting good floor. I ended up ripping the vinyl up and put down a new sheet of vinyl that was hard wood floor look alike. You couldn't even tell the difference after it was finished but, it wasn't a quick job and I'm pretty handy.

If you are very handy, you'll probably find it to be not horrible of a job however, you will probably be amazed how your small soft spot isn't likely as small as you think.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #3

Sorry Not that simple. The Floor is a (Luan/foam/Luan) sandwich bolted to the Top of the Frame! Then the Walls and everything else is placed on TOP of the Sandwich! Then the Roof! The walls and everything inside must be (Seperated and Lifted/Supported) to (Properly) replace your flooring. People have (Patched) areas but under the (Outside Walls) that support everything the (Floor) must go Under the Walls! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #4

hoping for a small area near front bunk will not be taking down walls i will find a way to patch it will not be that big of a job of the insurance will be called in to total it.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #5

Took some apart looks to be 1.5 inches Luan foam sandwich will shoot pictures of my repair
Old 03-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #6

Found more wet floor letting it dry out anyone ever filed a insurance claim on this damage I can't find any visible damage ?
Old 04-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #7

OK took into repair shop to repair leaks and damage we did finish floor our self's well my son did most of the work i was just labor! guess i need something to post pictures a image hosting site
Old 04-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #8

usually the insurance company will tell you its "pre-existing condition", THAT IT HAPPENED AS A " PROCESS OF TIME". your response is "not so", that it happened quickly and the water was not visible. a good repair facility will plead your case. most shops will not want to touch it.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #9

Repair is done 3r rv repair fixed for me very reasonable and like new camper now
Old 04-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tking01_2000 View Post
Repair is done 3r rv repair fixed for me very reasonable and like new camper now
i was aware...just info for the next party
Old 04-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Sorry Not that simple. The Floor is a (Luan/foam/Luan) sandwich bolted to the Top of the Frame! Then the Walls and everything else is placed on TOP of the Sandwich! Then the Roof! The walls and everything inside must be (Seperated and Lifted/Supported) to (Properly) replace your flooring. People have (Patched) areas but under the (Outside Walls) that support everything the (Floor) must go Under the Walls! Youroo!!
How does one go about separating and lifting walls and everything? Is there some kind of procedure for this? Is this really posible? I know in the old days when cars had frames there were six bolts that held the body to the frame.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tking01_2000 View Post
Can you explain what was done to fix it?

I was under the impression there was no easy way to fix the Luan sandwich other than taking the unit down to the trailer and then placing a new floor down and rebuilding the RV.

Those RV's with a wood floor can probably be patched but I thought the luan sandwich was not patchable.

Thanks,

Vin.

P.S. You can attach photos directly by using the "manage attachments" button below the reply to thread window. I would be (and others also) interested in seeing some pics.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #13

i done a few of these. look underneath and figure where the supports are. your going to add 2x4s on the perimeter of whatever floor you remove. half under old and half width under the new. this wil be shaved to foam thickness. then dado cut to accomodate new floor thickness, at least 5/8". or 3/8" on the floor with more joists if preferred. new 2x2s on 16" centers in the field and they must have support underneath. bracing will prolly needed to be welded underneath. expand the repair if necessary to get that support. plunge cut floor and carefully chip foam the 2" necessary for the perimerter 2xs. use construction adhesive, countersink, and screw. thats how ive done em anyway...

when I go as far as lifting the walls, I use cable lift camper jacks. I put jack stands under the rear and lower the tongue jack. I then wedge the camper jacks between floor and walls. opposite for the rear...

Tags
repair