Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #21

My 2015 has no buttons or straps
Marines0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #22

What does this gutter system look like? And what size hose you think will work best?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by urocav2001 View Post
What does this gutter system look like? And what size hose you think will work best?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I used 5/8 inch garden hose. Works great. Easier to cut. Easier to store.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #24

Mine looks just like the guttering on the sides. Even has the little downspouts. I had the dealer do it because I didn't want to drill into the ends of a brand new camper. So far so good. No leaks. I can't send pictures because it's in storage now but just imagine the side guttering being installed on the bunk ends.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
Mine looks just like the guttering on the sides. Even has the little downspouts. I had the dealer do it because I didn't want to drill into the ends of a brand new camper. So far so good. No leaks. I can't send pictures because it's in storage now but just imagine the side guttering being installed on the bunk ends.
Does it extend out over the bunk end seals?
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #26

Yes
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #27

I just tried for the first time standing up the mattresses prior to closing and putting the hoop bars under the mattress instead of on top. I think I am going to stick with this approach. I never had a ton of issues before but it was definitely smoother this way.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #28

We have a 2015 Clipper RBD with bunk ends. We have no straps (it didn't even come with privacy curtains!). The canvas just falls into our camper. If someone could post a picture of the suppports or straps and even this gutter system at some point, we would be very grateful. We have been having a heck of a time folding in the tent ends. We would like to be able to possibly keep one end closed while just doing some cleaning and mods but the canvas is in the way as it just hangs into the camper.

Coachman Clipper RBD 2015
Ford Expedition EL XLT
-----------------------
-to 2005 Jayco PUP -- Then back to Cabin Tent (large)--to Palamino PUP (small) - From Tent
MomofNERM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #29

liked that video will try to strap the bar down...

I have a 2000 shamrock with a 2 fold matres no straps any idies ???
fisherracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherracing View Post
liked that video will try to strap the bar down...

I have a 2000 shamrock with a 2 fold matres no straps any idies ???
2000 was only the 2nd year of Shamrock/Roo hybrid production.
So not sure how many people own that old of one.
So there are no snaps on the inside of the bunk door.
A previous owner may have replaced the original mattresses, with the wrong ones.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #31

I am just checking in with other new Roo owners to see how they are closing their beds.

Our 2016 doesn't have snaps/straps etc. We have velcro at the fold of the mattress and bottom of the door. During my PDI, the tech closed the beds by folding and pulling the mattress out completely and standing it up just inside the bed door opening. He let hoop bar fall flat on the bed door and put the shepherd's pole between the fold in the mattress. The bed door was very easy to close like this (made even easier when I use the vent fan trick posted here)

The problem with the above technique is that, even with my best attempt to wedge/stand the mattresses up near their respective doors, they end up falling over, dumping the shepherd's pole (loose shepherd's pole! ) onto the floor during travel.

I am not completely unhappy with this approach as I am thinking I can find a better way or storing the mattresses for travel. I like this approach as it does make for a very easy/solid bed door closing--big priority there.

But I would love to here how other folks with new Roos handling closing up their beds in general.

Thanks!

MARider
Prior Campers: 2010 Coleman Avalon HW Popup, 2005 Fleetwood Westlake Popup
MARider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #32

I spent the first two months simply sliding the mattresses in a bit, letting the hoop drop on top of the mattress and tucking the shepherds pole in the crease. It worked and it made the inside part pretty easy, but everything needed to line up perfectly or I would immediately recognize problems when closing the doors.

The number one rule of Roo ownership I have figured out is if you notice ANY resistance when closing the doors...STOP...because there simply shouldn't be any at all. This did mean I had to be pretty exact with where I positioned the mattresses.

The last month I have switched to the exact same way they showed you at the PDI and I like it A LOT better. It does add a little more work inside because you have to reach around and drop the hoop underneath the mattress. I then stand the mattress up (free standing) with it sandwiched (both sides of the crease folded against each other). I have not had any trouble with the mattress falling over, it stands up fine for me.

Every time I do it this way the ends close like butter, so I am sticking with it. Without the hoop underneath the mattress I ran into a couple situations where it sort of stuck out and hit walls inside as I folded in the bunks.

Both ways work, but I am am now a stand-then-fold guy.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #33
Site Team

i've got the older straps/snaps setup.
but i don't think FR intended to have owners take the mattress out.

i assume that the velcro on the newer models, is intended to keep the mattress adhered to the bunk door surface when you close it up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #34

Actually I don't think the Velcro always works that way even though I thought the same as you. I felt like it rarely lined up right when I left it attached to the velcro. Now I freely admit it might be just me or I never found the sweet spot. I just felt like I had to move it off the velcro and slide it in toward the interior to get it to close correctly.

I just view the velcro as a way to keep the mattress secure getting in and out of bed at this point but ignore it completely when it comes to folding up.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i've got the older straps/snaps setup.
but i don't think FR intended to have owners take the mattress out.

i assume that the velcro on the newer models, is intended to keep the mattress adhered to the bunk door surface when you close it up.
Yes, the manual reads to fold the mattress with the velcro holding in place, leaving the mattress down, let the hoop bar fall onto the mattress, and the shepherds poles inside the fold.

Keeping the mattress in place = better mattress travel/storage (out of the way)
Removing mattress = easier/(better?) close

I haven't even tried closing using the method described by the manual () as I was just going off the PDI (who told me the manual said differently but his way was better). The rest of the PDI was outstanding (i've had mixed experiences with prior PDIs) so I took more of his word for it than I normally would have. And I am still in learning mode on this thing so I don't mind trying different approaches.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
Actually I don't think the Velcro always works that way even though I thought the same as you. I felt like it rarely lined up right when I left it attached to the velcro. Now I freely admit it might be just me or I never found the sweet spot. I just felt like I had to move it off the velcro and slide it in toward the interior to get it to close correctly.

I just view the velcro as a way to keep the mattress secure getting in and out of bed at this point but ignore it completely when it comes to folding up.
Interesting. You might be right about the velcro. One of our kids mattresses wasn't velcro'ed correctly and it shifted and was pressed way up against the bed screen window. I fixed the velcro connection and it didn't shift again.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #37

When I first tried to leave it attached to velcro and drop the hoop on top I nearly punched a hole in my bathroom wall when I closed it. I just don't like that hoop potentially pushing forward, even if it is the "correct" way to do it.

I hope none of this makes it sound like the new ends are a pain in any way at all. I find opening and closing the bunks one of the easiest steps in my camping routine once I found the system I liked. I think I am under a minute when it comes to the bunk ends. Maybe a few seconds more if i skip the fantastic fan trick just because I am a little more careful with tucking fabric.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #38

Quote:

I hope none of this makes it sound like the new ends are a pain in any way at all. I find opening and closing the bunks one of the easiest steps in my camping routine once I found the system I liked. I think I am under a minute when it comes to the bunk ends. Maybe a few seconds more if i skip the fantastic fan trick just because I am a little more careful with tucking fabric.
Agreed--I keep going to pull out my support bars when I remember--there are no support bars! Sooo easy. I just want to make sure I am combining easy with best.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #39

After showing us how to close the bunks at the PDI, the tech had DW and I try it. The rear bunk wouldn't close. The tech pointed out I hadn't allowed enough room for the folded bunk to stand so it pinched. After I moved the mattress a couple of inches it closed fine. Now I eyeball the position of the folded bunks at each end and have had no problems.
Our old 183 mattresses had snaps that lined up with none of the door snaps (dealer couldn't figure it out either). Gave up on the side bunk mattress and let it stand on the floor.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #40

Quote:
When I first tried to leave it attached to velcro and drop the hoop on top I nearly punched a hole in my bathroom wall when I closed it. I just don't like that hoop potentially pushing forward, even if it is the "correct" way to do it.

What is the fantastic fan trick??
lw63 is offline   Reply With Quote