Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Follow Up on Roo Heated Mattresses

Last Friday night (1st night of the trip), the temps were supposed to be in the low 30s. So I plugged in the mattress & turned it on "6" (the highest setting) about an hour before I went to bed. I kept checking under the covers & the bed didn't seem to be getting warm. I stuck my hand between the mattress & the memory foam pad & I did feel heat from the mattress but it didn't seem to be going through the foam pad. I wasn't sure how well it was going to work but left the heat on (and set on 6).

When I first got in bed, I was pretty comfortable except my feet & legs were cold & my nose was really cold. (Thermostat was set on about 60 so the bunk end was cooler than that.) I wasn't sure how well I was going to be able to sleep & wondered if I should find another blanket or something to throw over my feet. After awhile I dozed off. Woke up a little while later and thought, "OMG...I am so WARM!" The heat had made its way through the pad & I was nice and toasty for the rest of the night. Even my nose wasn't cold any more! Heated mattresses ROCK!!

Seemed to keep Molly (my cockapoo) comfortable also. She was curled up against my back (on top of the covers) and barely stirred all night.

Ann ("Older than springtime, younger than dirt.")
Molly, my rescued cockapoo, who loves camping
2013 Rockwood Roo 21SS
2003 Dodge Durango SXT w/full towing package
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
Yep, that's how they seem to work.
if we had ordered our 23SS from the factory, we probably wouldn't of ordered the heated mattresses, since we rarely have any electric hookups.
but we bought an in-stock one which already had them. man, are we glad we did get them because they are a real luxury the few times we have hookups.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
That probably just made up my mind about the topper I was thinking about. I wasn't sure if the heat would go through or not. Our popup had the heated mattresses and the one time I got to try them (most of our colder weather camping is boondock), I really liked it. Our MiniLite has them as well, but the bed leaves a little to be desired.
2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
We learned early on that turning the heated mattress to too high of a number would cook us later in the night. They keep cold nights tolerable, and the foam mattress topper doesn't keep the heat from getting through.
11' Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
12' Rockwood Roo 233S
Current: AZ
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
Engineer of Crazy Train
I have a 3" topper and yes, it does make its way through while you lay on it. It is just enough to take the chill out. What is it, like 150 watts or something? But I used mine this weekend as it was in the 30s in New England.
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote