Old 09-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #1

Question Forest River-Rockwood Roo 23SS / 23RS / 25RS: Reviews/Comments

We are researching to purchase our 1st RV. We have 2 children, 8-year old boy and 6-year old daughter. Up until this point we have been renting/borrowing RVs. Rockwood seems to have a great product. But we are trying to decide between a few different options.

Needs: A Quality easy to tow RV that will last for several years with gel coated fiberglass exterior (no aluminum,) 3 sleeping areas without using the dining table, good amount of inside storage, ĺ bathroom (No shower/toilet in 1,) slide(s) and a/c.
Wants: Large kitchen counter space, bunks, oven, and electric awning.

We have a Ĺ ton Chevy Avalanche 1500 with a Maximum GVWR 6800 lbs. / Maximum Towing 8300 lbs. We are looking at:

Rockwood Roo 23SS - Hybrid
Likes: Large kitchen counter, the slide kitchen/sofa area for extra inside space and the pantry/wardrobe/storage spaces.
Dislikes/concerns: Tent style vs. hard side, possible leaks and noise levels

Rockwood Roo 23RS –Light travel trailer
Dislikes/concerns: Lack of counter space and inside storage, small dining area, short queen beds (my husband is 6’ tall)

Rockwood Roo 25RS –Light travel trailer
Likes: Bunks, easy access to bathroom, large/slide out dining area, average inside storage space
Dislikes: Lack of counter space, short queen bed

We are open to all suggestions/reviews/comments. Or even other RV options that we should like at. Thank you!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #2

If your looking at hybreds and need 3 sleeping areas look at the ROO 233S. It has 3 seperate sleeping areas.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

well, i own a 2007 Avalanche with factory tow package.
i tow a 23SS, with Equalizer WDH and Prodigy brake controller.

i have no problems and have plenty of power, even with all the mountain ranges i have to go over.

that said, i would recommend against you buying any hybrid, based on what you listed for negatives.
you'd be better off with the rear hard-sided bed slide trailers, if they have bunk beds for the kids.

this is why: you have two children that will eventually not want to sleep together, if they already haven't made that clear.
so, even a two bed hybrid would require someone sleeping on the sofa or dinette. this means a 3 bed hybrid necessary which means another 33% more canvas, adding to what you consider negatives for a hybrid.

most hybrid owners are former popup owners and are willing to put up with the few negatives. if you've never owned a popup, don't get a hybrid.

for the record, i've had my Roo 23SS for nearly 6 years now and never had a leak. and we will put up with the occasional noise, so that we get to hear wind in the trees, babbling creeks and birds singing.

sleeping on a floating tent bed in the forest!

my vote is for the 25RS, the dinette slide will be worth it and you should have no problems towing it with your Avy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #4

Normally, i just lurk and don't post. However, i must break my silence for bikendan. that was the best description as to why we bought a hybrid, from another hybrid owner i have ever read. Kudos to you!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelochi
Normally, i just lurk and don't post. However, i must break my silence for bikendan. that was the best description as to why we bought a hybrid, from another hybrid owner i have ever read. Kudos to you!
I'm in agreement.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #6

If you're worried about the short queens, don't. We have had two with out problems and I'm 5'11" and my DH is 6'3".
Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #7

We have a 25RS and am extremely happy with it. Its a king size bed, not queen by the way. I seriously have zero complaints about the floorplan, its really roomy and I swear the best layout for families. I may be one of the only active posters on here with it. If you have any questions please ask.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
We have a 25RS and am extremely happy with it. Its a king size bed, not queen by the way. I seriously have zero complaints about the floorplan, its really roomy and I swear the best layout for families. I may be one of the only active posters on here with it. If you have any questions please ask.
Thanks! I have been leaning toward the 25RS, but I have not been able to see one in person yet, only the hybrids. Are there any options you would suggest/not suggest?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #10

We bought ours with the "show special" our dealer had going which included the Tv/entertainment center, power awning and jack, and oven. I like having all of those things and wouldn't trade it for anything. We didn't get the aluminum wheels like Dh wanted but he got over it fast. We use the grill that attaches to the side every trip and haven't had an issuue.

I love love love our camper. I am happy with the quality but I also know from camping my whole life the quality won't be the same as a house.

Tags
23rs, 23ss, 25rs, hybrid, rockwood roo