Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
I recently had an issue with my refrig on gas. the solution was to remove the gas jet and burner tube and soak in alcohol for an hour. the gas jet has a small man made ruby in it so do not use anything other than alcohol to clean it.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #12
Tanks a lot!

I had that problem once and I was befuddled. I discovered I had both of my propane tanks turned on. Turned one off and the frig lit and stayed lit. Is it supposed to work with both tanks on? I don't know. Are you even supposed to have both tanks turned on? I don't know that either. But I hope that helps you.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #13
Help whether you like it or not!

I KNOW you say you did not ask for help. Nevertheless I feel duty bound to see if one small task you can perform on your new camper (without tools) will get your refrigerator working.

1. Go inside your camper, turn on one of the burners on the cooktop and light it. Then light all the rest.

2. Now turn them all off again.

You have now purged your gas line of all the air between the tank and the cooktop. Since the refrigerator is most often located between those two then that means the line to your refrigerator is purged as well.

Now try lighting your refrigerator on propane and see if it lights and stays lit.

Good Luck!
Maurice, LA

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
1973 Layton 23' (sold)
Old 07-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #14
I was once a service manager at a large Motorhome/Trailer Dealership.

The most common problem with gas refrigerators at that time was a small spider that was attracted to the smell of the propane gas. They would build a web either directly over the burner or somewhere in the flue.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #15
Jack of All Trades
Most gas appliances do not use a thermocouple anymore, they use a flame rod. It can be easily identified as it has a wire connected to it rather than the copper tube.

Two problems with flame rods - they get dirty, and the control board fails. The first step in checking it is to remove the flame rod and clean it with steel wool or fine sandpaper. After cleaning it, replace it and test it. If it doesn't work the first try, try it several times to insure gas has reached the burner.

If that doesn't work, it's most likely the control board. Unfortunitely, these are not serviceable (though many dealers can test them). If it is bad, replace it with a Dinosaur brand board, much better board than the OEM board.

Rick & Debbie; Brandy & Schnoodle Dexter & Fritz R.I.P. the Doxie "Kids"
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36RSQS 5'er
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 6.6L Diesel Dually; B&W Goose Neck and Companion 5'er hitch
Old 07-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #16
Thanks all. I bled the actual gas line going to the burner and removed and inspected and blew through the orofice. Again, it actually lights, but after a very short period of time it goes out and the LED lights on the fridge blink.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #17
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
I always start my fridge on shore power 2 days in advance, I load it up a day before, and watch it, on the day I leave I unplug it from shore power, then I run in and make sure the fridge "lit".

If it doesn't light, the led will flash and you have to turn the fridge off and then back on to make sure it is lit.

It is easy to unplug the shore power and just assume it will start up on propane.

Many Things can happen, air in propane line, misfire etc, so you have to make sure it is going and not blinking before you pull out.

I always check it while on the road. We usually eat all our meals in the camper on the road.
x 2 for me
2013 Palomino 30ft. of Pure Bliss at 5400#-and then we have this 14 ft.Sea Eagle that I tote around for my wife and son.Michigan State Parks are The Best !:thumbsup
Old 07-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #18
The fridge in my 2011 Georgetown 327DS (Dometic) quit with a similar problem when I started home from my last trip. The fridge works fine on 110AC but no joy on propane. I opened up the burner area and was able to light the burner manually and had a normal gas flame until the control board shut off the gas. I also observed that, while I could hear the spark generator firing, there was no spark at the igniter. I also checked the high temp thermocouple circuit breaker in the chimney and it isn't tripped.

I suspect, because there's no spark, that the control board has failed. It's been in storage at the dealer and they are supposed to fix it before we leave on our next trip. I shouldn't have to pay for the repair either because it's covered by the breakdown insurance. If the dealer doesn't get to it, we'll be at FR's rally at the Elkhart county fairgrounds in August where it'll hopefully get fixed.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #19
Good luck MiCamper6. Keep us fellow Hybrid owners posted on what the dealer finds. Thanks for your post!
2008 Dodge Durango
2015 Roo 23 ikss
Old 07-27-2016, 10:37 PM   #20
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
FYI. Not to hijack the thread, but I put several packets of the dehumidifier pellets in my fridge while it was in storage. When I came back a month later, there was an oily liquid dripping down the outside of my fridge cover on the outside of the unit.
The packets had reached max absorption and were bleeding the oily liquid out the fridge drain. What a mess to clean up.
Don't do it

2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Tuned
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Closed Thread

fridge, propane