Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #1

Fridge not staying lit on propane

After pre-cooling our refrigerator via 110v in our driveway for a couple of days in our new 233S, we headed about 4 hours out of town only to find our food thawed in the freezer and the fridge about 20 degrees above the expected temp when we arrived. The LEDs on the fridge were all flashing. Obviously it didn't work on propane.

I checked it out this afternoon and found that it in fact does light, but the spark ignition continues to click and after a short period of time the flame goes out. I would suspect the switch/sensor in the chimney, right? Just another issue for service to fix......
Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #2

I always start my fridge on shore power 2 days in advance, I load it up a day before, and watch it, on the day I leave I unplug it from shore power, then I run in and make sure the fridge "lit".

If it doesn't light, the led will flash and you have to turn the fridge off and then back on to make sure it is lit.

It is easy to unplug the shore power and just assume it will start up on propane.

Many Things can happen, air in propane line, misfire etc, so you have to make sure it is going and not blinking before you pull out.

I always check it while on the road. We usually eat all our meals in the camper on the road.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:38 PM   #3

Clearly it is getting gas as it actually lights. Just doesn't stay lit....
Old 07-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #4

Sounds like a thermocouple problem, the dealer will know.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #5

Yup....... Possibly. Not sure if it would continue to spark if it were a thermocouple, but that is the dealers problem!
Old 07-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #6

If the spark ignition is working and the pilot is lighting either the main gas valve isn't opening or like others have said there is a problem with the thermal couple.

Has the fridge ever worked in the gas mode before. If not check to see whether the thermal couple is in line with the pilot flame. Your solution may be as simple as a realignment of the thermal couple to the pilot flame.
You can also take the handle of a screwdriver and give the gas valve solenoid a good rap, the main valve may be stuck. If you have a volt meter, you can also see if you have power to the gas valve solenoid.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #7

The fridge has worked on propane since we bought it this spring. The thermocouple is in line with the flame as it glows red when it actually lights off. It could very well be the gas valve, although it seems to open to allow it to light initially.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Unfortunately it doesn't look like a traditional thermocouple. It has a short thermocouple segment with a wire attached. So much for a cheap, easy hardware store fix.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #9

Sherman: thank you for the offer to help. It is much appreciated. However, with all due respect I didn't really ask for 'help' , and didn't title my thread' Help..... '. Quite frankly there is almost nothing I can do to fix it where I am at right now because I have no access to parts. I simply started this thread to point out an unexpected issue with a brand new unit I am experiencing right now with the hope that once the issue is resolved it may help someone else out in the future. BTW... I have the owners manual, and have been a mechanic for over 30 years, and am pretty good at fixing stuff. If someone had run into a similar problem and had a quick.. 'I ran into the same thing and it was an easy fix....' that would have been great. However, in the meantime, thanks again for the offer to help but please don't be overy concerned as the fridge is running fine on 110v. There will simply be another issue for service to fix.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCamper6 View Post
After pre-cooling our refrigerator via 110v in our driveway for a couple of days in our new 233S, we headed about 4 hours out of town only to find our food thawed in the freezer and the fridge about 20 degrees above the expected temp when we arrived. The LEDs on the fridge were all flashing. Obviously it didn't work on propane.

I checked it out this afternoon and found that it in fact does light, but the spark ignition continues to click and after a short period of time the flame goes out. I would suspect the switch/sensor in the chimney, right? Just another issue for service to fix......

It is not "proving flame (established)". Can be faulty control board or igniter/thermo-couple. Most likely the control board. Stack thermo looks out all sources of heat in over temp situ. Flame goes out on timed flame proving error.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #11

I recently had an issue with my refrig on gas. the solution was to remove the gas jet and burner tube and soak in alcohol for an hour. the gas jet has a small man made ruby in it so do not use anything other than alcohol to clean it.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #12

Tanks a lot!

I had that problem once and I was befuddled. I discovered I had both of my propane tanks turned on. Turned one off and the frig lit and stayed lit. Is it supposed to work with both tanks on? I don't know. Are you even supposed to have both tanks turned on? I don't know that either. But I hope that helps you.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #13

Help whether you like it or not!

I KNOW you say you did not ask for help. Nevertheless I feel duty bound to see if one small task you can perform on your new camper (without tools) will get your refrigerator working.

1. Go inside your camper, turn on one of the burners on the cooktop and light it. Then light all the rest.

2. Now turn them all off again.

You have now purged your gas line of all the air between the tank and the cooktop. Since the refrigerator is most often located between those two then that means the line to your refrigerator is purged as well.

Now try lighting your refrigerator on propane and see if it lights and stays lit.

Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #14

I was once a service manager at a large Motorhome/Trailer Dealership.

The most common problem with gas refrigerators at that time was a small spider that was attracted to the smell of the propane gas. They would build a web either directly over the burner or somewhere in the flue.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #15
Jack of All Trades

Most gas appliances do not use a thermocouple anymore, they use a flame rod. It can be easily identified as it has a wire connected to it rather than the copper tube.

Two problems with flame rods - they get dirty, and the control board fails. The first step in checking it is to remove the flame rod and clean it with steel wool or fine sandpaper. After cleaning it, replace it and test it. If it doesn't work the first try, try it several times to insure gas has reached the burner.

If that doesn't work, it's most likely the control board. Unfortunitely, these are not serviceable (though many dealers can test them). If it is bad, replace it with a Dinosaur brand board, much better board than the OEM board.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
Old 07-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #16

Thanks all. I bled the actual gas line going to the burner and removed and inspected and blew through the orofice. Again, it actually lights, but after a very short period of time it goes out and the LED lights on the fridge blink.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainframe View Post
I always start my fridge on shore power 2 days in advance, I load it up a day before, and watch it, on the day I leave I unplug it from shore power, then I run in and make sure the fridge "lit".

If it doesn't light, the led will flash and you have to turn the fridge off and then back on to make sure it is lit.

It is easy to unplug the shore power and just assume it will start up on propane.

Many Things can happen, air in propane line, misfire etc, so you have to make sure it is going and not blinking before you pull out.

I always check it while on the road. We usually eat all our meals in the camper on the road.
x 2 for me
Old 07-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #18

The fridge in my 2011 Georgetown 327DS (Dometic) quit with a similar problem when I started home from my last trip. The fridge works fine on 110AC but no joy on propane. I opened up the burner area and was able to light the burner manually and had a normal gas flame until the control board shut off the gas. I also observed that, while I could hear the spark generator firing, there was no spark at the igniter. I also checked the high temp thermocouple circuit breaker in the chimney and it isn't tripped.

I suspect, because there's no spark, that the control board has failed. It's been in storage at the dealer and they are supposed to fix it before we leave on our next trip. I shouldn't have to pay for the repair either because it's covered by the breakdown insurance. If the dealer doesn't get to it, we'll be at FR's rally at the Elkhart county fairgrounds in August where it'll hopefully get fixed.

Phil
Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #19

Good luck MiCamper6. Keep us fellow Hybrid owners posted on what the dealer finds. Thanks for your post!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:37 PM   #20

FYI. Not to hijack the thread, but I put several packets of the dehumidifier pellets in my fridge while it was in storage. When I came back a month later, there was an oily liquid dripping down the outside of my fridge cover on the outside of the unit.
The packets had reached max absorption and were bleeding the oily liquid out the fridge drain. What a mess to clean up.
Don't do it
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Closed Thread

Tags
fridge, propane