Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

Fridge not staying lit on propane

After pre-cooling our refrigerator via 110v in our driveway for a couple of days in our new 233S, we headed about 4 hours out of town only to find our food thawed in the freezer and the fridge about 20 degrees above the expected temp when we arrived. The LEDs on the fridge were all flashing. Obviously it didn't work on propane.

I checked it out this afternoon and found that it in fact does light, but the spark ignition continues to click and after a short period of time the flame goes out. I would suspect the switch/sensor in the chimney, right? Just another issue for service to fix......

Old 07-26-2016, 06:33 PM   #2

I always start my fridge on shore power 2 days in advance, I load it up a day before, and watch it, on the day I leave I unplug it from shore power, then I run in and make sure the fridge "lit".

If it doesn't light, the led will flash and you have to turn the fridge off and then back on to make sure it is lit.

It is easy to unplug the shore power and just assume it will start up on propane.

Many Things can happen, air in propane line, misfire etc, so you have to make sure it is going and not blinking before you pull out.

I always check it while on the road. We usually eat all our meals in the camper on the road.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #3

Clearly it is getting gas as it actually lights. Just doesn't stay lit....
Old 07-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #4

Sounds like a thermocouple problem, the dealer will know.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #5

Yup....... Possibly. Not sure if it would continue to spark if it were a thermocouple, but that is the dealers problem!
Old 07-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #6

If the spark ignition is working and the pilot is lighting either the main gas valve isn't opening or like others have said there is a problem with the thermal couple.

Has the fridge ever worked in the gas mode before. If not check to see whether the thermal couple is in line with the pilot flame. Your solution may be as simple as a realignment of the thermal couple to the pilot flame.
You can also take the handle of a screwdriver and give the gas valve solenoid a good rap, the main valve may be stuck. If you have a volt meter, you can also see if you have power to the gas valve solenoid.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #7

The fridge has worked on propane since we bought it this spring. The thermocouple is in line with the flame as it glows red when it actually lights off. It could very well be the gas valve, although it seems to open to allow it to light initially.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #8

Unfortunately it doesn't look like a traditional thermocouple. It has a short thermocouple segment with a wire attached. So much for a cheap, easy hardware store fix.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #9

Sherman: thank you for the offer to help. It is much appreciated. However, with all due respect I didn't really ask for 'help' , and didn't title my thread' Help..... '. Quite frankly there is almost nothing I can do to fix it where I am at right now because I have no access to parts. I simply started this thread to point out an unexpected issue with a brand new unit I am experiencing right now with the hope that once the issue is resolved it may help someone else out in the future. BTW... I have the owners manual, and have been a mechanic for over 30 years, and am pretty good at fixing stuff. If someone had run into a similar problem and had a quick.. 'I ran into the same thing and it was an easy fix....' that would have been great. However, in the meantime, thanks again for the offer to help but please don't be overy concerned as the fridge is running fine on 110v. There will simply be another issue for service to fix.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCamper6 View Post
After pre-cooling our refrigerator via 110v in our driveway for a couple of days in our new 233S, we headed about 4 hours out of town only to find our food thawed in the freezer and the fridge about 20 degrees above the expected temp when we arrived. The LEDs on the fridge were all flashing. Obviously it didn't work on propane.

I checked it out this afternoon and found that it in fact does light, but the spark ignition continues to click and after a short period of time the flame goes out. I would suspect the switch/sensor in the chimney, right? Just another issue for service to fix......

It is not "proving flame (established)". Can be faulty control board or igniter/thermo-couple. Most likely the control board. Stack thermo looks out all sources of heat in over temp situ. Flame goes out on timed flame proving error.

Tags
fridge, propane