Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #1

Question Front tent pulling loose from camper at corner!

Greetings to all. Thank you for all the info you generously offer.
I am new to this site but have been camping in our 2001 21c Roofor 1 1/2 years. Bought it from a co-worker who owned it for five years and swore it was the best thing since sliced bread. I love the light weight and that "you're still in the great outdoors" feeling you get from the tents, but have been somewhat shocked at how many potential problems you can have from the HYBRID type camper. Up to this point we've only had minor acclimation issues with camping in the unit, but our latest trip to Lakewood in Myrtle Beach has presented some problems.
The biggest is that the front tent started pulling loose from the camper, at the upper right corner as you stand at the tongue, and I can't get it back in securely enough to stay in place while set up. And we're talking about 4 inches from the corner of the frame in each direction!
There was a bit more buffeting from the coastal breezes than we have experienced on other trips, but even after I climbed a ladder and slid the seam/bead back into place, AND used Gorilla tape to try and secure it so it wouldn't pull back out, it eventually did. Is there something I'm missing or is it a problem for a repair center to deal with. The tents are in pretty good shape, but I'm thinking age may be causing some shrinkage since they're getting harder to snap down to the front of the bunk deck.
I admittedly don't have much experience working on camper problems or even how to diagnose the proper fix, but I'm not afraid of trying to remedy a problem myself before paying someone to do something I can do myself.
Any advice or links to tutorial threads would be greatly appreciated. I'll be posting other threads to deal with other problems I'm having but will keep scouring these entries for added "knowledge".
Thanks again for all you do for us newbies.

SCs
SCsurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #2

Any pictures?? It will help folks visualize what you are talking about and be able offer advice.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Team

many hybrid owners extend the shepherd's hook too far out, putting tension on the tent attachment points.

especially for a hybrid as old as yours, doing this over and over for 14 years, will cause such issues.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #4

Quote:
many hybrid owners extend the shepherd's hook too far out, putting tension on the tent attachment points.
X2!

If you're old enough to remember camping in canvas tents, you never cinched the guy lines tight because the canvas would shrink when it got wet. Although these tents don't shrink (to my knowledge) I'm always careful not to stretch them.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper