Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

Frustrated-Need Some Advice, Please

Hello,

Happy camping new year! Well, at least for my family. We got the Roo out this weekend (actually camped Weds thru Sat nights), de-winterized and re-stocked everything. Here's where my disappointment sets in. This is our third camping season with our 2011 233s. Since I got it in June 2010 I have had problems with the slide not working properly. In the shop at least 3-4 times. This past fall, my local dealer allegedly put on a new slide motor. It was (is) still under my extended warranty. Went to close the slide after my 4 nights of camping this weekend and, wouldn't you know it, slide would not close...same exact problem as before. The slide will start in a few inches and then start clicking. I have to go out and push in on the slide while someone pushes the button. After it gets over the "hump" it's fine.

Also, the seams where the bottom of the windows meet the tent material continue to seep through when it rains. It's not condensation. I have had them sealed, etc...to no avail. FR says it's material and it's just part of hybrid ownership. As someone that has owned several popups, I can't disagree more. Is anyone else having these problems, regardless of model? I absolutely love the camper, but have wasted so much time and money taking this to the shop (even under warranty) that I'm about done. Will be trying to contact FR and the dealer tomorrow to see what comes next. I'll try to update as I hear more, but would like to hear feedback and/or suggestions from others based on your experiences, as well. Sorry this ended up being long, but my fingers must have been moving as quickly as the steam coming out of my ears

Thanks!

2019 Vibe 261BHS
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #2

Hey Buckeyecmpr. All I can say is be persistent. I had s similar problem with my 09 Coachmen. My exterior fiberglass skin was shrinking every where .My dealer just kept on chalking it. All I wanted to know was what was causing this. And they couldn't tell me. My concern was, what was going to happen to the fiberglass in two years when warranty was gone. My dealer advised me that there was nothing they could do. And that I should take it up with the factory. Also he agreed that something wasn't right, but his hands were tied .So that's just what I did.And it was along frustrating battle. And I won.I called and called and finally got to the top . Yea the president of FR him self [yes he answered his own phone] he listened to me and assured me the manager of the newly taken over coachmen division would contact me in a day or so about this issue. and he did. After a few telephone conversations we worked out a great deal for me. they offered to buy me out of my old unit [a 09 24ft ]and put me into a brand new 28ft fully loaded for just a little more money I mean next to nothing.So all I can say is stand up and fight for what you think is right . Good luck.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #3

Sorry to see this Buck! I am rooting for you on this!
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We do not have this problem with leaking where the window meets the tent fabric and its rediculous for FR to claim that's part of the deal. Who said that? Did you actually talk with Gregg Rollin at FR? He used to be the warrenty guy for us (Roo and Shamrock).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #5

Greetings,

Thanks for the replies and support. Triguy, I've talked extensively with Mike Anglemyer who is apparently the warranty contact for Rockwood and Flagstaff. I will say that he has always been easy to reach and pleasant to talk with. I just want to get this darn thing taken care of. I'm afraid that I'll be out some major money after the warranty is up due to slide issues. I'll be calling FR today...maybe go to the top and skip the middle people, if possible. Possibly I need a different ear to hear my story. I'm not counting on the dealer, at this point, to make things right...not much confidence in their service

Thanks!

2019 Vibe 261BHS
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm surprised that they are taking that attitude.

Well - squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say so I think its good you continue to contact FR.

I recall about this time last year that someone on the forum had a similar issue and FR ended up replacing one of his tent ends. I just searched and it was TomT - maybe send him a PM to find out how it went.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #7

For your slide I would think that something is binding when you close it. It could be a roller There are 2 of them or something in the channel that cause a friction. Just look under the sofa at the same time that someone is operating the slide to see where it jam. I have a minilite that use the same slide than yours and the attachement brackets rollers for the slide are quite flimsy because of the attachement on the wall. They are installed on a portion of the rubber gasket which make the installation not flush on the wall.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #8

Frustrated-Need Some Advice, Please - UPDATE

Greetings,

Just got off the phone with Greg Rollins @ FR. They are taking my camper back to the factory for repairs. While I will be finalizing details in the next few days, my understanding is that they will put on a new actuation system that is now being used on the slide. Also, apparently they will be replacing the bunk ends as he agreed they should not leak. Greg assured me to not worry and that everything will be taken care of. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to empty the contents of the trailer so FR can pick it up. I am amazed at the quick decision to bring it to the factory, and HOPEFULLY the issues will finally be corrected. I will update the forum when I get more info, etc. Thanks again for everyone's help...especially Triguy and TomT. It's nice to see that good customer service is still out there. There actually may be a light at the end of the tunnel...we'll see.

Thanks!

2019 Vibe 261BHS
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

That is great news Buckeye! I've read reports from others who have had repairs at the factory and its all been good. No - great. The factory seems to really have a handle on repairs and usually make adjustments or fixes that you didn't even ask for.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #10

Wishing you the best of luck! Hopefully it fixes the problem and you get it back in time to do some camping this year! Our dealership already warned us if something goes back to the factory for repair it will be there a long time.

Nights Camped in 2012 - 88
2012 Puma 31 KBH
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
tolley31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #11

Sent my 270ret crusader back to the factory. It came back within two weeks. They did a very nice job on it. They even had done a few extra's like...... Added door bumpers, door locks for the siding bathroom/Bedroom doors and extra straps for the table chairs. They picked it up at my home and sent it back to my home !!!! I'm in Michigan, the factory is in Indy. You did the right thing, sending it back to the factory. They will repair it right !!!

( slide problem, cabinet doors, carpet, TV cabinet replaced )
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #12

Frustrated-Need Some Advice, Please - ANOTHER UPDATE

Hello,

Just heard my first repair update from FR. According to FR it is in service and they are waiting on parts. Wonder what parts they are waiting on at the factory They hope to have it done in less than 2 weeks and are switching it over to the new style bunk. Does that make it a HYBRID hybrid? Still hoping it works out...scared to death about getting any NEW problems with the upgrade. No other updates on the slide (and other items on my list) except that they are working on it. I'll update when I get more info.

2019 Vibe 261BHS
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Old 04-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Don't be scared to death. Its just not healthy

Seriously, though. This sounds to me as if they are taking care of you. I am sure the issues will be solved.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Site Team

could be waiting on new canvas ends from the supplier. or bunk doors from the supplier.
remember that they assemble pieces from other companies and don't actually manufacture them, except for maybe the walls and cabinetry.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #15

Latest Update - Frustrated-Need Some Advice (A little long)

Hello,

Well, good news and some bad news. First the good...my 2011 233s now has the latest bunk ends with the attached material. According to FR, they put the unit in their "rain booth" and it "leaked like a sieve". It also has a new actuation system for the slide out. Almost made it through PDI @ FR without fixing the slide. Said they couldn't find a problem then Gregg Rollins told the tech to add weight to the slide. Guy weighing about 145 lbs (according to Gregg) stood inside slide and it would not go in. Hence...new actuation system installed. Also allegedly took care of a small leak in the main door, wobbly dinette table and Concertone unit that wouldn't read DVDs (my 2nd one). It was apparently finished today and was being cleaned and inspected again. Also said they checked the roof, seals, etc. Now the bad...

FR was covering the transportation to and from the factory from the Cincinnati dealership. Now the transportation company is running several weeks behind and can't guarantee it will be delivered back to my dealer by next weekend...we have a trip scheduled and have already cancelled one while it was at the factory. Some more good news, though...FR says they will reimburse me for fuel if I want to pick it up myself. Said they are offering this to everyone. Now I just have to see if I can get a day off of work to do it. This all sounds like a lot of stuff, but it has been a pleasant experience working with Gregg Rollins @ FR. I'll let you all know how it goes when it finally comes home. Who knows, maybe in a couple of days...keeping fingers crossed. Thanks!

2019 Vibe 261BHS
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
Current River Rat

Too bad it just takes so much time and aggravation to get it corrected. Glad to see you made progress. Hope it comes out fixed and ready to go.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
Site Team

Gregg Rollins sounds like someone I would want on my team. I know it's a long drive but having a choice to go & pick it up is a lot better than just waiting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will have your Roo home soon and you can start playing in it.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I've only heard of Gregg through FRF and by all accounts he is an excellent resource. Wish he'd come onto the forum. We could use him in the Hybrid area (hint hint just in case you're listening in Gregg).

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #19

Agreed Gregg is great he got me the new rivets for my bunk hinges
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #20

Heading out early in the AM to the FR factory in Millersburg, IN to pick up my newly repaired 233s. Spoke with Gregg again today and (hopefully) plan on meeting him while I'm there. I asked that a tech do a walkthrough with me on the repairs. Will be bringing "Rooby" home tomorrow and she hits the campground this weekend. I'll update when I can...hopefully with some pics of my "hybrid" hybrid Fingers crossed!

2019 Vibe 261BHS
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear