Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #1

Furnace 2010 233S

Started our Winter camping season, and Very Disappointed in the Heater.
The temperature got down to 30 degrees last night and the camper could not even get to 50 degrees.
It ran all night, noticed only 2 vents on the floor for the heater one by the door to the bottom left as you walk in, and One in the bathroom under the Shower.
The one in the bathroom is useless even with the door open, very little air comes out and not very warm at all. The one at the door blows harder but again not very Hot.
It seems to me that with the Slide out and all three beds out there is no way that the Vent at the door can keep even the middle area Warm, Forget about the bunk in the rear behind the bathroom, No Heat at All.. Freezing!!!
Not Sure if the Heater is working properly or if this is how it's suppose to work.
Seems that 2 vents isn't nearly enough for the trailer.
Any help would be appreciated, as we have a long winter season ahead to camp with the State Parks they have no Electric!!, So no Plug in Heaters!!!
big2na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
rbq

Our 233s furnace has worked well for us. I would open up the cupboard where the furnace is located & check to make sure that the vent lines are properly connected & not kinked. At 1st I was surprised that there were only 2 vents.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #3

I'm surprised as well that it's not functioning better. The better question is why burn your own gas to heat if youve already paid for an electric site? I only utilize my heater as a supplement to a space heater.

(I camp in a rockwood freedom 2316g)

Save your money and use electricity.
Fehlhafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Fehlhafer, if you read the post, the OP doesn't have electric hookups.

Big2na, the heat source in RVs, is called a furnace. saying heater confuses people who think you have an electric heater.

i see this is your first post, have you read up on how to keep hybrids warm or cool? having 3 tent ends will be hard for a furnace to keep up with if you don't research on how to keep hybrids warm in cold weather.
remember, manufacturers don't recommend hybrids for very cold weather, since they have big holes in them.

using PUGs or solar blankets on top of the canvas ends and Reflectix in the windows or sides, will greatly help the canvas ends retain heat.
we stayed in Yosemite in snow, with low temps and had no electric.
by using PUGs and Reflectix, we kept it very cozy inside.

now, some have done mods to add vents or re-route vents to help direct the heat to the colder areas.
by the way, sounds like you're talking about Calif. state parks, since ours have virtually none with any kind of hookups.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #5

Sorry missed the last line.
Fehlhafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hope you have a way to charge he battery. Won't last long with the furnace running all night.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #7

Looks like I'll have to look into the cover system over the bunks.
The battery isn't a problem as we charge it during the day with a Generator.
I am waiting on a call or email back from Forest River to see if there is a Larger Furnace, and or possibly a Larger Blower..
Thanks,
Big2na
Old 12-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2na View Post
The one in the bathroom is useless even with the door open, very little air comes out and not very warm at all. The one at the door blows harder but again not very Hot.
Beside the good advice to use PUGs and other heaters (look up the Olympian Wave catalytic heater) I suggest that you take your trailer into your dealer to have theem look at your low flow issue. I find plenty of heat coming out of both vents. More so from the front vent, but a noticeable amount from the bathroom vent, too.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #9

I had a chance to pull the cover off of the Furnace today and look at the vent and connections.
The one that goes to the door seems to be about a 4" flexible hose and appears to be flowing freely.
The one that comes off the other side of the furnace to the bathroom is about a 2" flexible hose with a very small outlet under shower for air to flow.
If anyone has a phone number or an email for Forest River I am going to call them and see if I can modify the bathroom side Flex hose and make it the same size as the one at the door ??
Thanks,
Big2na
Old 12-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
Site Team

Gregg Rollins is the Roo warranty rep and should be able to direct you.
i think his email is grollins@forestriver.com
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #11

Ok,
Spoke with Greg today and he told me that the furnace the unit comes with is sized at the factory according to specs and floor plan.
He did suggest that I could add up to two more furnace vents, and he would supply the needed hose and parts to connect to the heater.
After talking with Greg, he said he gets other e-mails from Hunters and anyone else camping in the Cold..
Going to head out to the camper and try and find a spot or two to add some duct work and vent.
Thanks all for your help & suggestions.
Big2na
Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Keep us informed and post any pictures if you end up making modifications to the duct work. Good luck.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #13

We also use a Coleman catalytic heater to take the edge off. When we cold weather camp we bring our backpacking mummy bags and thermal.underwear to sleep in. I would not mind temps in the 50s especially if it is 20 outside. I have not cold weather camped in the Roo yet...maybe a trip over MLK weekend here locally in the mountains is due.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #14

I hope I'm not late on helping you with some ideas.

We have a 2010' - 21SS. It maybe a smaller floor plans than yours, but the same issue as your unit. Our 21SS has three vents; one by the door, one in the bathroom, and one under the fridge. The furnace works great while in the 40’s to 60’s range. When temperature drops below 38°F we supplement the furnace with ceramic heaters ($12 to $18 at Wally's), and they work great as experienced last Christmas while camping at 21°F.

We also use Reflectix (http://www.reflectixinc.com/) that can be purchase at Lowe's or Home Depot for about $54 for a 25'-roll. We installed Relfectix under the mattresses, and use Reflectix cutouts on the windows. I hope you have the heated mattresses, if not you can supplement with wool covers or heated blankets.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Gregg Rollins is the Roo warranty rep and should be able to direct you.
i think his email is grollins@forestriver.com
his email is grollins@forestriverinc.com the inc was left out.
Tom T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s