Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Only about 320,,, I used to collect hats !!!
But I do keep the real good ones in the house !!!
Have about 50 in the house,,, 2 in the truck,, 2 in the EDGE &
2 in the MH !!! DW goes nuts when she sees me looking @ a new hat !!!
LMAO !!!
Thanks for the idea! In my 5er there is shelf space above the overhead cabinets. Been trying to think of something I could put up there that wouldn't fall and break when traveling, Hats just might be a winner!

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #42

Oooooookay!

Kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdot View Post
Oooooookay!

Kdot
Will work for me. Space is about 5 feet long, a foot deep and 6 inches high. It has decorative spindles in front about 3 inches high. Almost anything you might put up there would slide around, fall out and break. Area might hold a dozen hats. Can't break and probably wouldn't fall off. Shouldn't take more than a year to fill it up if I buy one from each place I go.

Jim
Old 10-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
What kind of screen did you have on it and did you keep it clean? The screens I have seen and use could not have caused that much blockage of air flow unless the screen became blocked.

Jim
The screen was just a standard screen that looked like one from a window. The screen was clean and the WH was also clean and blown out with air hose. The Atwood WH is different when comparing to a furnace or frig. They are just venting but the water heater is depending on the air to create a flow of air to manage the flame. I still check the WH each time before I turn it on for any obstructions. I have witnessed a diesel pickup overheat with a bug screen attached. A screen will restrict more air flow than you would think. The Atwood WH has many expensive parts around the flame tube and it really needs to be watched carefully. Mine works great but I would not have a screen on it.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:23 AM   #45

Quote:
Will work for me. Space is about 5 feet long, a foot deep and 6 inches high. It has decorative spindles in front about 3 inches high. Almost anything you might put up there would slide around, fall out and break. Area might hold a dozen hats. Can't break and probably wouldn't fall off. Shouldn't take more than a year to fill it up if I buy one from each place I go.

Jim
Be sure Jim when you go Hat shopping,,, you leave DW @ home !!!
LOL !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #46

Quote:
I was just looking at the hw heater and fridge. I think the grate on the hw is small enough so wouldn't need to touch it. Fridge is another story. Will probably remove the cover and put one piece on the inside. After caulk dries put the cover back. That way will never have to worry about the screens coming out. Would only take 5 minutes to do.

Could do the hw the same way just to be safe I think metal screening is just a little bit smaller.

Jim
Thats a lot of work to not buy a Camco fridge screen from Walmart on line for 10 or so dollars.

same with the water heater and the furnace.

i think less than 35 total $

custom fit with reinforced edges. i installed ours in less that 5 minutes and added a few extra tie wraps for extra.

no silicone to peel off my jeans DW just bought for me,
no taping
no drilling

clean install and best of all they shipped right to the door. - for free.

more time for me to enjoy camping
Old 10-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #47

Each to his own !!!
You can buy pic of screen for pennies !!!
Old 10-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #48

While camping with our old RV I watched a wasp fly into the furnace vent and sure enough a paper nest was under construction. Got rid of them and not another problem.
When we bought the new camper I installed the furnace screens. I started the install while I had the furnace running - I hadn't realized exactly how much heat comes out that port and shut it down pronto.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #49

Quote:
Each to his own !!!
You can buy pic of screen for pennies !!!
no doubt...

but for me to drive my truck to HD (20 minutes each way) and spend 20 minutes in the store locating the screening, buying wire cutters, silicone and a caulking gun, then drive home would cost me more in aggrivation and gas than having the product delivered to my door for a perfect fit the first time.

not to mention the 13% sales tax on top of the items purchased... and HD may not have the proper wire gauge or mesh style in stock so it could mean more store hunting for it increasing the costs.

Looked for a Dewalt buffer last week... "We carry Dewalt tools but not that one"

At 40$ an hour (my paid wage) for my time to hunt for things it was a cost effective way to get fast and correct results.

main thing is there are several methods to arrive at the same or similar end state.

for me Camco screens were the correct decision, while for others it may be buying and cutting screens and dosing them with silicone until the tube is dry.
both ways work and look grate
Old 10-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #50

I had to put them on the fridge vent, had a football sized hornet growing in there in 1 week! I cover all the vents over the winter....on the inside.
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #51
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Thats a lot of work to not buy a Camco fridge screen from Walmart on line for 10 or so dollars.

custom fit with reinforced edges. i installed ours in less that 5 minutes and added a few extra tie wraps for extra.

no taping
no drilling

The Camco refrigerator vent covers are a perfect fit and well made but...installation was not that easy for me! The refrigerator drain tube comes through one of the vent slots. I had a heck of a time cutting (butchering) the screen so I could pull the tube through. I ended up having to put some clear tape on the cut edges because they were uneven and had gaps. The screens are definitely sturdy, that's why they were so hard to cut.
As far as the other vent screens go, the springs are not easy to attach, even with the enclosed tool. Hopefully they'll stay put.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 01 View Post
I had to put them on the fridge vent, had a football sized hornet growing in there in 1 week! I cover all the vents over the winter....on the inside.
If I ever see one that big, I'm moving out of the state. Possibly the country.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #53
Mod free 5er

Never really liked the Camco furnace screen that stuck out and was held on with springs, so today while I was at TSC, I found some stainless steel mesh on a rabbit feeder that was large enough to cover both the inlet and outlet of the furnace. I took the outside cover off and removed the rivets holding the inlet tube to the cover and cut a pc of the ss screen to fit the entire back of the cover. Reinstalled the cover w/ screen and where the rivets were originally in the inlet tube, replaced those with ss pan head screws. Worked for the 30 minutes I ran the furnace and IMO looks a lot better than the basket covers by Camco.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01696.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	90828  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Never really liked the Camco furnace screen that stuck out and was held on with springs, so today while I was at TSC, I found some stainless steel mesh on a rabbit feeder that was large enough to cover both the inlet and outlet of the furnace. I took the outside cover off and removed the rivets holding the inlet tube to the cover and cut a pc of the ss screen to fit the entire back of the cover. Reinstalled the cover w/ screen and where the rivets were originally in the inlet tube, replaced those with ss pan head screws. Worked for the 30 minutes I ran the furnace and IMO looks a lot better than the basket covers by Camco.
Looks Good,,, as long as it is not to restricting !!!

Found a wet spot under our WH closet in the driveway yesterday,,, found it to be dripping out of the WH vent door,,, I have decided it was rain water that had blown in the vent,,, so I set out to find a way to keep the rain out !!! What I ended up doing for now is,,, after I found that the grill snapped in & out pretty easily,,, I removed it,,, placed a double layer of Zip Lock bag over the opening 7 snapped the grill back in place !!!
No More Rain or Mud Dabbers in that WH cabinet !!!

And of course I left a note inside reminding me to remove it before I use the WH !!!

The rain water getting into the WH closet may have also contributed to the water I had found previously in the storage cabinet below the WH ???
That I had caulked a while back !!!
Old 10-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #55

Quote:
Be sure Jim when you go Hat shopping,,, you leave DW @ home !!!
LOL !!!

LOL!! I am fortunate, if you can call it that, because my DW passed away in 09. I still miss the hell out of her and can just pitcher her rattling my ears! Still laughing! Sorry dear but you don't really have a say anymore.

I will be sure to leave my chocolate lab in the trailer though. She thinks if it can't be eaten I shouldn't buy it!

Jim
Old 10-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack350 View Post
The screen was just a standard screen that looked like one from a window. The screen was clean and the WH was also clean and blown out with air hose. The Atwood WH is different when comparing to a furnace or frig. They are just venting but the water heater is depending on the air to create a flow of air to manage the flame. I still check the WH each time before I turn it on for any obstructions. I have witnessed a diesel pickup overheat with a bug screen attached. A screen will restrict more air flow than you would think. The Atwood WH has many expensive parts around the flame tube and it really needs to be watched carefully. Mine works great but I would not have a screen on it.
Window screen is a little, very little, bit smaller than most screens designed to keep bugs out of the WH. I still find it hard to believe that the screen caused the problem. If that WH is that sensitive then I would seriously consider drilling a dozen 3/8" hole for more air flow and cover everything with a screen.

I remember a hunting camp I built for my dad. It was so air tight that the fireplace wouldn't draw air properly. I drilled holes in the ash trap doors and never had a problem after.

Jim
Old 10-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post

no taping
no drilling

You have a good argument but I have the screen and construction adhesive, and old jeans to wear. Might as well put it to good use.

Jim
Old 10-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
If I ever see one that big, I'm moving out of the state. Possibly the country.
Did he open the door to get in and out? That is one I am defiantly alling sir!!

Jim
Old 10-08-2015, 07:09 AM   #59

I am guessing David meant Nest ???
LOL !!!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
The Camco refrigerator vent covers are a perfect fit and well made but...installation was not that easy for me! The refrigerator drain tube comes through one of the vent slots. I had a heck of a time cutting (butchering) the screen so I could pull the tube through.
I used a pair of kitchen scissors I found in the overhead cupboard in the 5th wheel to cut out a perfect square for the tube.

As i was finishing up DW asked if i had seen "HER" scissors.

Not recently

the other covers have springs that take all the determination of JOB to hook up properly. If they come off I'm sure i've also lost the awning supports and teh side of my trailer as it scrapes down the side.

Tags
cover, furnace