Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 06:26 AM   #1

General questions

We just bought a new Roo 233s and have some general camper questions.

First, what do you put in your black tank after it is pumped to help break down the remaining solids and keep the smell down?

Second, do you need special toilet paper?

Third, what sewer hose do everyone recommend?

Fourth, what kind of screens are recommended for over the heater and stove vent to keep bees from nesting in them?

Fifth, with heated mattresses, are you supposed to use a fitted sheet with the heat on or is there a risk of fire?
Old 01-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin79 View Post
We just bought a new Roo 233s and have some general camper questions.

First, what do you put in your black tank after it is pumped to help break down the remaining solids and keep the smell down?

Fourth, what kind of screens are recommended for over the heater and stove vent to keep bees from nesting in them?

Fifth, with heated mattresses, are you supposed to use a fitted sheet with the heat on or is there a risk of fire?

Walmart sells little pods that help breakdown waste and reduce odors. Find in camping section.

Toilet paper there are whole discussions in here about toilet paper. Regular single ply works. Just make sure you use enough water when flushing.

Sewer hose I don't have a preference. They all seem to do the job. Most preferences are the ends connected to hose.

Heater vent screens I bought mine on eBay or Amazon not that expensive.

Stove you should have a flapper that you can close when not in use. Some affix regular window screen for water heater.

Can't suggest anything for heated mattress.

Happy camping
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Sewer hose I don't have a preference. They all seem to do the job. Most preferences are the ends connected to hose.

Heater vent screens I bought mine on eBay or Amazon not that expensive.

What are the recommended ends?

Do you know what the screens are called?
Old 01-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #4

General questions

If you look at the current threads look at one furnace air and wasp. They have link on that one.

As far as end people have their preference. Some like the clear elbow, some like the elbow with hose connection to rinse black tank, some are just ok with regular ends.

I can't attach links with my phone. Or I don't know how to.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:07 AM   #5

Your black tank is a holding tank,not a septic tank. It simply holds the STUFF until you dump it. Make sure you use plenty of water.
When we leave the campground, before we dump, I fill the black tank with whatever water we have in the fresh tank. Just hold the toilet flush down until you see water. The extra water will help clean the tank and walls just by the velocity of the water as it drains.
After dumping, I put a few gallons of water in the tank and add a couple squirts of Dawn dish soap. The water solution will splash around on your drive home and clean the tank.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:09 AM   #6

If you go to Amazon and put RV accessories in the search window you will see many of the items you are asking about and most will have questions answered and reviews about the products.
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #7

Sewer hose - I've used this same set for almost 4 years. It works very well and contains just about everything you need. Don't go too cheap on the hose or you will very soon see little geysers of nasty water, while dumping. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39742-R.../dp/B01HPHR30U

Mud Dauber Screens - They will get into anything that doesn't have a screen. Look through here and find what you need. For the refrigerator vents, I simply cut aluminum screening from Lowe's and placed that behind the vent plates. The rest are these smaller screens found in the search attached. Find your type of water heater, heater, etc. and buy it. I will warn you, they can be a bear to install. For things like this, it helps to get on youtube and do a search to see how other people have installed them.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...dauber+screens

Toilet paper - We stopped putting toilet paper down the drain altogether. We keep a small sealing trashcan next to the toilet and put it in there, with the plastic shopping bags as the liner. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...bathroom&ajr=0

Have fun with your Roo and Good Luck!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #8

Kevin,in the Black tank "Water Lots of Water",Hose,make sure it has Standard ends affixed to them,Min of 2- 10'Hoses and buy a 90% ell fitting for the Discharge end,Don't just stick the hose down the Sewer pipe like so many RVers do! Youroo!!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You will (and are) get lots of opinions.

One other thing I will mention since you've asked basic questions about your sewer system... ALWAYS keep the black tank dump valve CLOSED until the tank is full enough to dump. There has to be liquid in the tank to keep things work properly in several different ways. Many newbies make the mistake of hooking up at a campground and opening the dump valves to begin the stay. Leave the black dump valve closed and use LOTS of water when flushing the toilet.

Many folks open the grey tank valves and that's OK. Usually not necessary though on a weekend camping trip. Just dump all the tanks at the same time starting with the black and then using the grey water to 'flush' the sewer hose.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #10

No one has addressed your mattress question.

Fitted sheets won't cause a fire. Keep in mind that the mattress is not a standard size (it's 60 x 74, not the standard 60 x 80 that they sometimes advertise), so unless you find the right size somewhere, you will have make your own fitted sheets.

Comments on the heater: The mattress heater is only about 150 watts, basically what a large light bulb puts out. You won't feel a lot of heat like you would if you put your hand under an electric blanket. But don't let it fool you. Turn it all the way up, climb in, and in short order you'll be turning it back down.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Keep in mind that the mattress is not a standard size (it's 60 x 74, not the standard 60 x 80 that they sometimes advertise), so unless you find the right size somewhere, you will have make your own fitted sheets.

They are on a 2017? The brochure says 60x80. I will have to measure when I get it home in the spring.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #12

I like this for my holding tank treatment.

Odorlos, 40 oz. Self-Measuring Bottle - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

I use the same hose as ben31.

I use the Camco screens and got them from Amazon. Put them on the heater vents, hot water heater vent, and refrigerator vents. I trimmed my refrigerator one so my drain tube could stick thru the top one. They weren't that hard to put on. Heater and hot water heater go on with springs and use the tool that comes with them. Refrigerator goes on with wire ties that they supply. I added a few more.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
They are on a 2017? The brochure says 60x80. I will have to measure when I get it home in the spring.
I've attached the 2012 brochure. Says the same "60 x 80" as the 2017 brochure, so I'm pretty sure nothing has changed.

They're called "RV Queens." For the Roo's, the "80" is the width of the bunk, not the width of the mattress. Notice your brochure says "60 x 80 Bed," not "60 x 80 mattress."

So make sure you measure yours. I think you'll be surprised.

We use regular fitted sheets and just fold one end under, but you can buy 60 x 74 fitted, if you really want them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2012 Rockwood Roo.pdf (8.81 MB, 35 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:

BT......we don't find it necessary to use anything to fight an order problem from the BT, ... when heading home, after dumping at the cg, I add about 4 gals water and a good squirt of liquid detergent, ... it sloshes on the way home and I dump/flushout again at home, ....

sewer hose....... we have used the "Sewer Solution" from day one and only use a short slinky hose at a dump station, ... check out SS, you may find you like it too,...

screens, ...... very easy to make your own, cut just oversize and press into the area, the edge wires act as little barbs and hold forever, ...... also the pics show another way for other areas,.... cut to size, run a bead of caulk around and press the screen into the wet caulk, when it sets its a permanent fix....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5383.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	128627   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5384.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	128628   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5385.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	128629   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5386.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	128630  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #15
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
You also need to screen the vents on A/C outside housing.......pull the cover off and screen from inside......Also, Rhino brand hoses are very good....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #16
Always Learning

For sewer:
- I use whatever has hook and bayonet fittings on them. Don't buy the cheap stuff.
- Also get a clear elbow so you can see the business and what's going on.
- Links and whatnot here: My Camper has Two Sewer Hookups | Learn To RV

For toilet paper:
- We did a science fair experiment with it and found they all break up with a little agitation. Use what feels good on the bum- just use plenty of water.
- Info about the experiment and results here: What toilet paper (TP) should you use? | Learn To RV

- For the black tank:
- We use the "geo" method. Some dawn dishsoap and either Borax or water softener (or both). My wife handles it- she started measuring things and now just sort of dumps some in. My job is to make sure that there is some water in the tanks after I empty them. I use a 5 gallon bucket for that.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #17

black tank cleaning- yeah- I found, when I take the leftover ice cubes and pour them down the toilette with some gallons of water and some dish detergent, that cleans very well- the ice cubes scrubbing the tank and keep slush from building up while we driving home.

I used to have a clear elbow with hose connector, where I can spray the water from the outside into the tank- worked at the old camper, does not on the new one- don't know why- but the water will not fill up into the tank. using the toilet-flush-until-fresh-water-tank-is-empty-method. I hate it, because my wife has to go inside and do the flushing- not because of it, but because of the question: "is it enough?" ( as I can see into the tank...). The only thing I forgot to check is haunting me now- I wanted a outside black tank flush connection. Wonder, if it's possible to put it in afterwards.
The sewer hoses- just buy one long enough and take one in spare- sometimes there just inches missing to reach- we had that once in Georgia stone mountain park and had to buy there the overpriced version. It sucks, when you have no choice. Also- always use for the sewer a separate hose- mark it or buy a different color. you will find out why, when your family can't get off the commode after the last trip and again after the next trip...
other than that- ain't much you can do wrong
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf65 View Post
I used to have a clear elbow with hose connector, where I can spray the water from the outside into the tank- worked at the old camper, does not on the new one- don't know why- but the water will not fill up into the tank.
The new camper likely has bends in the piping to the sewer connection. Mine does and the elbow with hose connector doesn't work. I had to have a black tank flush installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf65 View Post
The only thing I forgot to check is haunting me now- I wanted a outside black tank flush connection. Wonder, if it's possible to put it in afterwards.
Yep. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-T.../dp/B000BUU5TU
Old 01-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #19

For your Black water tank the GEO method works great! google it if you're not sure what it is. I had all kinds of sensor issue until I started with the GEO method. Also make sure that you keep your black water valve closed until you are ready to dump! I will usually wait until I'm about 3/4 full then I'll add water until I'm close to full, then dump that will help push the solids out of your tank.

when you buy your sewer hose I would recommend getting a clear section with a hose connection to place between your sewer hose and the connection on your camper. It probably won't help with your tank much but I use mine to rinse the house before I disconnect and stow (and never use your potable water hose to rinse your sewer house...!!!)

not sure about your heated mattress question but I have to imagine if fitted sheets were a fire hazard there would be warnings and or your dealer would have mentioned it...
2018 Chevy Silverado Z71
Shawn.O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The new camper likely has bends in the piping to the sewer connection. Mine does and the elbow with hose connector doesn't work. I had to have a black tank flush installed.

Yep. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-T.../dp/B000BUU5TU

X2 Had the same issues and did the same.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote