Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #1

Generator? Yamaha or Honda. What size?

Purchasing a roo 23ss this week! Very excited! I've seen some what I think are good deals on generators, honda and yamaha seem to be the way to go? Found the yamaha double inverter generator 2000is for 1800 and change. Honda seems to be 2 hundred more. Would love to hear some recommendations?
1st timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #2

I am in the same boat and have been leaning toward Honda since they have the EU2000is companion that makes parallel operation even simpler. Yamaha doesn't offer something like that yet, but that said, I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. I have a buddy that has a Honda EU3000is, and its a great little generator. Super quiet, reliable, but takes 2 people to move it, and it won't run his 15k A/C. I ordered the 15k A/C on my trailer also, so I'm leaning toward 2 of the 2000's in parallel like you are. Looks like the Hondas lack a fuel shutoff, and that could be enough to sway me toward the Yamaha since I won't be running them every trip.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:52 PM   #3

I've got the Honda E2000i units and love them. I've also got the big EX4500 I've had for 13 years without a single problem.

You can't beat the dual 2000W units for all around performance. You just need to watch TV and charge the batteries? Use one, save fuel and a little noise. You need AC too? Fire up the other and parallel them together.

As for Honda or Yamaha, I don't think you can beat either. Through first hand use I know the Honda's are almost unbeatable but I've never heard anything bad about the Yamaha's. There's one feature that stands out, the Yamaha has a separate fuel cutoff so you can kill the fuel and run it dry whereas with the Honda you have to drain the carb with a screwdriver. I personally don't mind, as I like fully draining the bowl.

Be sure to check into a parallel kit to tie the two together and look into an extended run tank. Not cheap, but you'll thank me.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:23 AM   #4
Site Team

1stTimer, I have a 23ss and have a single Honda 2000.
you don't need two of them, H or Y, UNLESS you plan on needing a/c.
one will do everything else.
you can't really go wrong with either brand.
Each has a couple of advantages over the other.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
1stTimer, I have a 23ss and have a single Honda 2000.
you don't need two of them, H or Y, UNLESS you plan on needing a/c.
one will do everything else.
you can't really go wrong with either brand.
Each has a couple of advantages over the other.
I have a 38' 5er and one runs it just fine, microwave and all until it's AC time and then two run my 15K AC fine.

They're amazing.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:31 AM   #6

I have run both , the yamaha has cleaner power like for PC things like that but the honda was a little cheaper
Old 01-13-2015, 12:44 AM   #7

I run two of the Yamaha's. As others mentioned, you really can't go wrong with either brand, but the 2 x 2000 setup is really sweet. Worst case... you always have a backup, A/C on demand if the need presents itself, one man portable, dual location power on demand.. I could go on.

I think the main difference between the two brands is how you intend to use them. If you are planning on running an extended run tank, then the Honda is probably your best bet since it has it's own fuel pump, where the Yamaha does not. If you plan for extended periods of non use, then the fuel cut-off switch is a real bonus.

You CAN still run an extended run tank with the Yamaha. There is just a bit more involved with it.

Personally, I went with the Yamaha's because with my solar setup, I very rarely ever need a genset, so the fuel shutoff, engine simplicity (no fuel pump to contend with), and a bit better construction in the power regulator (a bit "cleaner" power as mentioned) where the deciding factors.

If I was genset reliant though I would have gone with the Honda just for the sake of easy of use with an extended tank. Parts for the Honda are a bit more accessible off the shelf...

Either way, you'll never regret either one. I don't really have any experience with warranty or repair issues with either company. I haven't run across anyone that has ever had any serious issues from either company. I guess that's a good thing.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:36 AM   #8
Kramocker

COSTCO anyone?

Hello,

I decided to pick up the COSTCO Smarter Tools 2000 watt generator, with the YAMAHA engine. So far, it has never failed. Easy to start, super quiet, USB ports on board, and...if you want to tie two together, you don't need a separate master/slave genny; all you need is the cable. For price and performance, based on my experience, a great buy. I'm willing to bet that other members will have opinions as well.
here's a link:
http://www.costco.com/Smarter-Tools-...100121916.html

Be well,

Kramer
Old 01-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #9

Here is something else to think about. The Yamaha can be modified to run on propane and not effect the warranty, the Honda you can't. It will void their warranty. I run my Gen on propane...cleaner burning, much less smell, gen will last longer, bigger fuel supply, and you have propane with you anyway.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramocker View Post
COSTCO Smarter Tools 2000 watt generator, with the YAMAHA engine.
The only cons I've really heard about these are that they don't really meet their output ratings, there are a good number that don't function properly out of the box (but Costco has a good return policy, so it's possible to start fresh if your's turns out to be a lemon), they don't perform well at modest altitudes, and getting repair service done is a real bear.

There have been a number of folks that have complained that their ST's were not able to run various appliances that the Honda's and Yamaha's had no issue with. More than likely, the big savings comes from less than stellar electronics and power regulation.

That may not be an issue for some, and the price is certainly attractive, but do your due diligence.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #11

Smile Generators

I went to Costco (in Canada) and purchased a PowerHouse generator) for less money than eith of the two mentioned and you can connect the two together. I also purchased the wheel cart to move them around. Also one feature it has a remote start so inside the trailer we can start the generator without going ourside or turn it off.
One must remember to plug the electrical cord in as it will not work---- done that--
Great little unit and quiet operation.
Mr. JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #12

I have a Champion 2000 inverter gen and I love it. I also love the fact it cost less than half what the Honda or Yamaha cost is and it is just as quiet and efficient. Fits perfectly in the front bay of my Shasta 27RL.
jbmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #13

I had a 3000 watt Honda, then got a 4000 watt Onan Juice Box with remote start. It goes on the back of my 5er's hitch. Never a problem with either one. Gave the 3000 to my oldest son. I now have 2-2000 watt Honda with parallel kit and extended run tank. They are much easier to handle than the 4000 Onan when I have to move it out of the shed to the 5er. It weighs 380 pounds and is on a fold up wheel system but doesn't move too well across soft ground. At my age, I'm looking for easier ways to do things. Usually takes 2 of us to move it. It's for sale. My son in law bought a Power house gen set from Costco and it didn't work well from the get go. He brought it back and now has a Honda 3000. Much better gen set but no remote start, that he liked. My youngest son has a 3000 watt Honda as well. We're all happy with the Hondas. I've only checked out Hondas but I understand that the Yamahas are pretty good also.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #14
Boondocking Only

Definitely give the CHAMPION a look.
Champion Power Equipment 73536i 2,000 Watt 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant)
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #15

what about a champion 4000w from camping world? it has a remote start so you don't have to get dressed to make coffee ? replys please thanks bill
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #16
Site Team

1stTimer, why have you decided to get a pair of generators?
Will you be doing a lot of dry camping or some boondocking?
Will you be camping in hot areas without hookups?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #17

Gens running for long periods on propane use a lot of propane....if dry camping and propane availability could be an issue....
71349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #18

Generator? Yamaha or Honda. What size?

I have the Honda 2000i set and think they're great. I also think they're more quiet than the Yamaha. We use them at home too if the electric goes out. Having the pair means I can use one or Botha; plus they're small/lite enough for DH and I to handle. The larger 3000 or bigger tend to get a lot heavier the older you get. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #19

Have a Honda 3000 secured on rack on back of my 5ver love it quiet and economical...
71349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #20
Dazed & Confused

I bought the Champion 3100 Watt Inverter Generator and am very happy with it. I bought mine off Amazon for $750.00 with free shipping.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator