Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #1

Getting a 23SS on Saturday!

We are new to camping. We pick up a 2012 Shamrock 23SS this Saturday and are beyond excited! I have only tent camped before. My husband and children (2 boys age 6 & 3) have NEVER camped. We love being outdoors and are constantly going places on weekends with the boys and love the idea of having a "home away from home." Hotels are expensive and you have to drag everything in and out. Living out of a suitcase sucks and having to eat every meal out is expensive. We loved the thought of just having to pack food and clothes. This forum has been so full of great info! It has given me a lot of ideas and questions for the dealership. I have a few questions for any of you experienced campers. First how do I go about seasoning the hybrid's seams? Do they "normally" leak once seasoned? Should we treat the outside of the tent fabric with somekind of sealer/protectant? Are the PUGS expensive? Do maxxi vent covers really help? Any advice greatly appreciated. You will probably see me posting a lot of silly obvious questions. Just want to make sure we are doing things right or at least on the right track. Thanks in advance!

Nights Camped in 2012 - 88
2012 Puma 31 KBH
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
tolley31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

first of WELCOME to to forum !
and congrats on the new unit !

only thing I can answer is I think max air vents are worth the money .
areo flo brand covers are good to made by camco
max air II is the new design and are nice to !

Old 03-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #3

Picked up our Shamrock 23SS last year and love it.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #4

Do you like all the storage the 23SS offers. My husband and I must have went over the floor plans of all the models and believe this one really meets our needs best. We also liked some of the TT without tent beds but they weigh more. The lighter weight ones didn't offer more than 1 big bed. With two smaller children we didn't like the bunks. Our kids toss and turn all night and would end up on the floor! Even with a rail at home my littlest one ends up sleeping next to his bed. The idea of having to put the dinette back together daily wasn't apealing. I also liked the 233S and the 21SS but the 23SS just seamed more practical with all the storage options. Does anyone know if the back bed has a TV hook-up?

2012 Puma 31 KBH
2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 03-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My answers below ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolley31 View Post
We are new to camping. We pick up a 2012 Shamrock 23SS this Saturday and are beyond excited! I have only tent camped before. My husband and children (2 boys age 6 & 3) have NEVER camped. We love being outdoors and are constantly going places on weekends with the boys and love the idea of having a "home away from home." Hotels are expensive and you have to drag everything in and out. Living out of a suitcase sucks and having to eat every meal out is expensive.

We loved the thought of just having to pack food and clothes. This forum has been so full of great info! It has given me a lot of ideas and questions for the dealership. I have a few questions for any of you experienced campers.

First how do I go about seasoning the hybrid's seams?
Open and setup the tent ends and spray with water. Let them dry.
The idea is that the seams need to get wet so they expand and stay that way once dried. It works. You might want to move the mattresses inside just in case. You can also just open the tent ends when you know its going to rain. That's what I do. Make certain they dry completely before you put them away again. Mold/Mildew will grow if put away wet.

Do they "normally" leak once seasoned?
No, they don't leak once seasoned. The leaks people experience are usually caused by:

Human error such as trapping fabric between the seals when closing.

Manufacturer error: Read the posts over the last few months about the new style tent ends. Apparently, there was a bad batch.
Even so, most hybrids are very well constructed relative to those when they first started 12 some years ago.

Last: Some campers attribute condensation as leaky tent ends. There's a difference and you will want to learn how to minimize or control it.

Should we treat the outside of the tent fabric with somekind of sealer/protectant?
No, not necessary. Read your manual as they address this.

Are the PUGS expensive?
Yes, but worth it in my opinion . You can also use blankets from REI an Cabelas although they don't fit as well.

Do maxxi vent covers really help?
We have two . The Maxxair II for the vent and the Fan/Mate for the fan in the bathroom. We leave our vents open all the time. They can be used on a rainy day, which is great if your don't have A/C. Also, its a great way to control condensation. No need to close these while driving.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Lots of advice on the Roo and shamrock sub forums. Just ask if you do not find your topics.

You will probably see me posting a lot of silly obvious questions.
The only silly question in the one unasked. We all had to start somewhere. Plus, you can contribute too by posting your experiences as you learn.

Just want to make sure we are doing things right or at least on the right track.
You are on the right track!

Thanks in advance!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

Triguy answered your first question so i'll try and answer your 23SS ones.
YEA!!! another 23SS owner! we used to be the most popular floorplan till the 233S came out.

love the storage and the DW picked it because kitchen counterspace was the #1 priority. there's also more storage space by removing the thin veneer inside a lot of the storage areas.
she also loves that people can come in and sit on the sofa, without walking through the kitchen. we feel the layout is perfect.
the back bed does have an 110v outlet and a tv cable outlet. of course you have to have shore power, a generator or an inverter to run the tv.

by the way, the Shamrock and Roo are twins.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #7

Thank you bikendan & triguy. I have learned a lot from just reading a lot of the messages here. Very helpful! The 233S seams really popular. No need for three big beds at this time for us. Prefered the storage and counter space the 23SS has.

When it rains hard do the tent ends stay dry? Should the ends be folded in? I don't plan on camping during a night of storms but you never know what might blow up while we are out.

2012 Puma 31 KBH
2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #8

Silly question - Does shore power mean plugged in at the campground? Also what does DW or DH stand for (I get the wife/husband part but not what the D stands for). I will probably kick myself it will be so obvious once someone tells me! LOL

2012 Puma 31 KBH
2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

We love listening to the rain on the tent ends at night. We even open the windows a bit and watch the storms so long as the wind is blowing the right way.

These tent ends are good and we have yet to experience any leaking due to rain. Don't worry about the rain while camping except its a good idea to pull in your awning if it looks like a good wind.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #10

We've had our 23ss since September and we absolutely love it. Its been trouble free except for a minor leak under the kitchen sink (fixed) and a water heater that won't always light up (still a problem) . Other than that, its been a dream... a HUGE step up from our pop-up.
I'm jealous of some of the extras you're getting in the 12 1/2 like the mounted TV and the larger door on the rear storage compartment, but the jury's still out on the new bunkends.
Congrats, Congrats, Congrats! My you have many trouble -free years of camping!

P.s. I'm posting this from the couch of our Roo! Last planned trip of the spring before it gets nuclear hot here in Florida.

2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss