Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Going to 6V Batteries and Relocating Off the Tongue

I'll be taking delivery on a 21BD in a couple of weeks and I'm planning to replace the standard 12V battery with two 6V AGM batteries. Given the already high hitch weight of the 21BD, I'm thinking it might be beneficial to move the batteries someplace other than the tongue. Perhaps into one of the exterior storage compartments or under the dinette.

Has anyone tried this with a 21BD or any other hybrid? If so, where did you put them and how difficult was it to run the wiring. The AGMs do not need venting, so that offers some flexibility, but they are rather large and heavy.
NCBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #2

Hmm, I am puzzled why a person would switch from one 12V battery, to two 6V batteries? Venting and leaking batteries, would be a concern of mine, so that is probably why many manufacturers put the battery(ies) on the hitch.

My Dad just bought a Creek Side 22RB, and the salesman told him it comes with 2- 6V batteries. It does not seem prudent to add complexity to a simple 12V system. But, the salesman may not have known what he was talking about either. I can definitely see paralleling 12V batteries, but not going serially 2, 6V batteries.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Insert witty title here

If you question the ability of your TV to handle the weight of batteries on the tongue, you really should consider upgrading it.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy1967 View Post
Hmm, I am puzzled why a person would switch from one 12V battery, to two 6V batteries? Venting and leaking batteries, would be a concern of mine, so that is probably why many manufacturers put the battery(ies) on the hitch.

My Dad just bought a Creek Side 22RB, and the salesman told him it comes with 2- 6V batteries. It does not seem prudent to add complexity to a simple 12V system. But, the salesman may not have known what he was talking about either. I can definitely see paralleling 12V batteries, but not going serially 2, 6V batteries.
You need to understand that 6v golf cart batteries are MUCH better in RV applications, for dry camping or boondocking.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
Boxer

I put my batteries in a plastic carry all from wallmart installed a 1 1/2 inch hose in top for vent
NED AND SHARON HOLCOMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #6

Great call on the batteries. I did exact same thing. Got a dual battery box from Century Plastics and then relocated (by welding) new angle iron braces about 6 inches forward on the tongue to allow for room of the taller batteries. Installed a cut off switch to the outside and bottled the box to the iron braces. Locks completed myinstall and I'm very happy now that I can run my heater all night when it's chilly with out the generator going. You'll love the 240 amp hrs!!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:03 PM   #7

Don't forget to use a heavy gauge (2ga) or larger to connect the batteries in series.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:

AGMs don't vent and don't leak.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #9

Quote:

Generally speaking, you can get more amp-hours out of 2 6V batteries than 1 12V battery. That's the reason I'm doing it, to get the most Ah's I can. As others have noted, AGM batteries don't leak or need venting, so they can be placed anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
If you question the ability of your TV to handle the weight of batteries on the tongue, you really should consider upgrading it.
I'm under my TV's capacity, but that doesn't mean I'm indifferent as to how I utilize that space. If I can shift 120lbs off the tongue, that gives me the opportunity to put other things there. The 21BD has a deck and battery enclosure that I could use for items I need to access regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
Don't forget to use a heavy gauge (2ga) or larger to connect the batteries in series.
Thanks for this reminder!
NCBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #10

NCBound, I've been thinking about a pair of 6V batteries for a while but I hadn't thought about AGM... what a great idea! What brand(s) are you considering?

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #11

Why not just have two 12 volt AGM batteries. If for some strange reason one of your 6 volts goes bad you are way below 12 volts but if one 12 volts drops dead, you still have 12 volts. I put in a battery switch so I can run use #1 or #2 or both.
Don't think the amp hours would make that much of a difference but would not two AGM 12 volts be more than two 6 volt? I would move other things other than the batteries to change weight distribution. Way too much work.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #12

Battery Switch

One of my significant early mods on my Roo was to put/build a double decker battery box that has 2 golf cart batteries in the base and my jack, WDH bars, lug wrench, leveling blocks, etc. on the second level. I'm not a great carpenter but it worked out fairly well. I too was concerned about tongue weight so I constructed a rear storage rack bolted to the I beams for a lot of the other supplies. All in all I find the new battery box is the best place to keep the batteries for the reasons others have stated. Another reason to keep the batteries where they are is that I ran the heavy cables under the front and into the front pass through where I mounted the inverter on the front wall. I need to get some pics posted so others can see how this works.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #13

Get a higher rated 12v battery. Keep it simple.

Solved that on the last trailer and replaced the 2 size 27 batteries with a larger rated 12V. Was at Sam's Club and noticed a size 31 looked the same but on closer examination it was the same length and width but a little taller. Then saw they had 4 other deep cycle batteries all the same base dimensions as the size 27 but all a little taller and a lot more amp hours. Went home measured and bought the tallest they had that had the same base size and we had a total of 1300 amp hour rating rather they the old 960 amp hour size 27. Get the highest rated 12 volt batteries that will fit in your box. Always replace pairs of battery together as the lowest working battery will draw the other down to the same level. We replaced the 480 ah rated size 27s with the large 650 rated marine batteries. Worked great.
gradeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #14

I had two 6 volt batteries installed on my new 251RKS - perfect so far, even boondocking.

2500 Ram diesel
251RKS
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #15

Sounds like a good setup and the AGM's would give you some flexibility in where you can locate the batteries. I haven't looked under the newer Roo's, but our '13 doesn't have an enclosed underbelly, so its pretty easy to run wiring under there. If the dinette is in the slide, that would complicate the process some.

I would start with taking the rig to the scale when you get it and see where your actual loaded weight comes in. Moving the battery location could get complicated if you have a battery disconnect on the tongue, power tongue jack, etc. to account for. And - I wouldn't want to loose the dinette or front pass through storage if I could avoid it. With that front deck, maybe you could put a battery box on the along the back side of it, which would shift some of the battery weight off the tow vehicle. Or if the fresh water tank is behind the axles, maybe add 10-12 gallons of water. Gives you water to flush the toilet while traveling, and would offset the weight of the second battery. The water would add a little to the total trailer weight, but would reduce the tongue weight. Again - I would start with a trip over the CAT scale to see where you are at. There are good checklists here on the forum for how to do that. And the $10 scale ticket will be a heck of a lot cheaper than going and buying a new tow vehicle...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradeless View Post
We replaced the 480 ah rated size 27s with the large 650 rated marine batteries. Worked great.
I think there must be some confusion in terminology here. Most 12v deep cycle batteries have about 90AH @20hrs . Deep cycle 6 volts run around 220AH. With 2 12V batteries you add the AH's so you get a total of 180AH, compared to 2 6 volts you have 220AH. The numbers above must be CCA (cold cranking amps) or some other measurement.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
I think there must be some confusion in terminology here. Most 12v deep cycle batteries have about 90AH @20hrs . Deep cycle 6 volts run around 220AH. With 2 12V batteries you add the AH's so you get a total of 180AH, compared to 2 6 volts you have 220AH. The numbers above must be CCA (cold cranking amps) or some other measurement.
Fullriver DC210-12 12V AGM 210 Ah @20 hr rate.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
Fullriver DC210-12 12V AGM 210 Ah @20 hr rate.
That is correct, however I was speaking of typical RV batteries that run around $100 and weigh 50-60lbs. The battery above costs >$500 and weighs 134lbs (and still has < AH's than 2 typical 6 volts). Lithium ion is another option, but costs are even higher and special chargers/controllers are required.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #19

Must be the CCA

Yes I remember it must be CCA. There were lots of other numbers but I must remember the CCA. All the other numbers were higher than the standard 24 and 27 Size. I had never seen those large marine batteries until that one trip to Sam's. All of the numbers were higher on those than the 24 and 27 size so we bought the largest one with the highest numbers. Never had problem with the old batteries but a nine year we replaced them with these new ones. Seemed we could hear the converter/charger running longer so time to replace before probelms.

Lived in Wisconsin for 45 years and the biggest mistake people made there is not buying the largest battery when you replaced. The Higher ratings generally solved the electricial issues with cars, trucks, tractors and RVs.
gradeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
That is correct, however I was speaking of typical RV batteries that run around $100 and weigh 50-60lbs. The battery above costs >$500 and weighs 134lbs (and still has < AH's than 2 typical 6 volts). Lithium ion is another option, but costs are even higher and special chargers/controllers are required.
Two 6 Volt Trojan T-145s would weigh 142 # and are rated as 260 aH @ 20 hr rate, would cost $280 before shipping, at the expense of futzing around with wet cell maintenance.

Pay $100 for a battery and you'll get $100 worth of battery, which ain't much, especially if you choose the marine dual purpose which are not designed or rated for deep discharge applications.

Tags
batteries, cat