Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #1

Going to the dark side-need advice.

After a season in my shamrock 21ss I decided I can’t keep up with all the work. I put a deposit on a 29ksws and I was offered a 7 year warranty for $1500. Is a warranty needed if we are handy at fixing things? TYIA. It’s an Xtraride.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:18 PM   #2

Search the forum for "extended warranty." You will quickly realize that this subject is another of the great Forum debates.

IMHO - NO. Especially if you're handy. Use the $1500 to fix things yourself.

Good luck.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:30 PM   #3

I'm a pretty handy guy. I worked 25 years as a professional auto mechanic. The warranty is not worth much to me. If you are not very handy with tools and repairs, it may be worth it to you. You are the only one who can answer that question.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:22 AM   #4

We purchased the warranty at $2500 when we bought our SV233T. We didn't know any better at the time. Never used it. We were told that if you didn't use the warranty you'd get your money back after 7 years. The warranty company went out of business. I still get ticked when I look back on it on my inexperience. For us, we won't make that mistake again.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:26 AM   #5

This is like "Buy term life insurance, and invest the difference".

No one ever invests the difference, and then the term runs out, you find out you're sick and uninsurable now, yet still alive, and that plan went to heck in a handbasket.

I'm NOT handy........(well, more now than I thought I'd be when I bought)......so I got one of these things. Haven't used it yet. Factory has been too good to me. But glad I have it........sort of like a TPMS system. Or the (WHOLE) life insurance I have. LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #6
"On the road again"

With our previous fifth wheel (Columbus 320RS) we purchased the 7-year extended warranty and various repairs totaled considerably more than we paid for the coverage. We had $100 deductible and the warranty company was always very forthcoming with approval and payment.

We bought a new Cardinal last summer...and yes, I bought the same policy (except only a $50 deductible and the policy cost less due to extended negotiations with the dealer). We haven't had to use it and honestly, I hope not to - but, it's there if we need it.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
With our previous fifth wheel (Columbus 320RS) we purchased the 7-year extended warranty and various repairs totaled considerably more than we paid for the coverage. We had $100 deductible and the warranty company was always very forthcoming with approval and payment.

We bought a new Cardinal last summer...and yes, I bought the same policy (except only a $50 deductible and the policy cost less due to extended negotiations with the dealer). We haven't had to use it and honestly, I hope not to - but, it's there if we need it.
As stated, there are as many opinions on this as there are members of this forum. We bought the extended warranty and used it a lot on our Cardinal. I look at it this way...appliances etc., even those built for RVs, take a beating when rolling down the lousy roads at 60 mph. If you do a lot of touring, things will likely go wrong. If you are seasonal at an RV park, problems are less likely to happen. There are many factors to the decision whether to buy an extended. Your mechanical ability, the way you use your rig, the age of the rig, your comfort or aversion to risk, your financial situation, etc. Bottom line...its an individual decision. Personally, I'd rather have the plan and not use it than not have it and need a new fridge, water heater or AC.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I got screwed by the extended warranty that was sold to me by the dealership of my previous RV...

I learned my lesson...never again!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:27 PM   #9

On average there is no question the price of the warranty exceeds to amount the companies pay out. Probably by a large amount based on there being multiple levels of people making a profit selling them. It's just how insurance works. So no, I don't want to buy any insurance, and I only buy what is required by law or contract.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #10

ONLY buy insurance when you can't afford the loss

That's been the general consensus on whether to buy insurance (when you have a choice) for more than 50 years that I can remember. I'm sure it's explained on a thousand sites, but here is the first one that came up when I googled the phrase:

https://blogs.cfainstitute.org/inves...ford-the-loss/
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #11

Paid warranty???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
I'm a pretty handy guy. I worked 25 years as a professional auto mechanic. The warranty is not worth much to me. If you are not very handy with tools and repairs, it may be worth it to you. You are the only one who can answer that question.
I’m in the same boat. I can fix most anything on a TT. That being said; For the first time in my life I purchased the factory extended warranty on the two new Fords purchased. Too many electronic/ engine/ drive train systems that can go wrong. Things mostly not found on a TT. ASE certified tech for many years, race car fabrication for many more. If you can do it yourself~~save the money. Motor homes are a whole different animal. 👍
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #12

I think you got your answer.........If you're a little handy, don't take the warranty.

You will probably do a better job than they would anyway !
I never took any warranty on my campers.......
BTW, the last one, I had it shipped from Michigan to Maine.......saved a lot of money on the purchase, and so far, in two years I didn't put a penny in it !
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:11 PM   #13

Going to the dark side

I have a 50 deduct. Used it once. If you ever have to replace AC or Frig or both go crunch the numbers. The quality of things are not like they were 10 years ago. Good luck on your decission.
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #14

Quote:
IMHO - NO. Especially if you're handy. Use the $1500 to fix things yourself.
Figure out the quality of the warranty company before making the decision... BUT I agree with the above quote.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #15

Quote:
After a season in my shamrock 21ss I decided I can’t keep up with all the work.
WHAT WORK? Repairs?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote