Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #1

Got it Home! Kinda disappointed....

Hey Everyone,

Well, after a VERY long day at the dealership, and then 9 hours on the road (7 hours driving, the other for stops), we finally have our 233s sitting in our driveway.

I went over it as best as I could before signing any papers, but even trying to slow the guy down who showed it to me, we kinda glossed over some areas. I know that I was lied to by him. He told me several times about how he had just made sure that something worked this morning for me, but when I went to check it out myself, the item had not even been removed from its packaging. I called BS on him a couple of times and he would just say "well, I am doing 8 of these walk throughs today, and I may be confused as to which trailer is which"...... yeah.....

Anyway, everything works as it should so far. But I have been going over it with a more fine tooth comb today and noticed some things that didn't catch my eye before. I found that the roof is covered in the black dots already (mildew? mold?). And there is surface rust all over the place. It is amazing how jacked up these trailers can get just sitting on a parking lot!! Is it normal for trailers to "age" just sitting there?

What do you all use to clean the rubber looking stuff on the roof? I want to make it perfectly white again if possible.

I'm sure Ill find more "things" to be a little aggrivated about as time goes on, but mostly we are happy and can't wait to go camping.

Thank you all for the help and advice you have given to me so far. I will be here alot I'm sure; asking and helping others when I can.

James

PS: To those of you who helped with my Suburban worries. It towed just fine. I noticed the rear is a little "squishy" because of the LT suspension. I have airbags to install when I have time. Also... some of you were right when you told me I wouldn't be happy going up loooong hills... now I have the itch for the 2500 8.1 ltr Suburban so I can yank that trailer around without worrying about it!
DSN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

As for the roof, it is typical. They are after all sitting in the weather 24/7. Any RV dealer parts department should have a wide variety of products to clean and protect your rubber roof. In your paperwork there should be a warranty card and the roof material manufacturers name. get it, go on line and see how the manufacturer recommends to clean and protect their product. There are lots of home remedies out there. Some might be OK, some are outright dangerous to the material.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #3

Thanks donn!

The most talked about roof cleaning agent I have seen on other forums is to use Murphy's Oil Soap. Will it really clean a rubber roof? And will it take off all the black spots?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you

James
Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #4

Mine has more surface rust than I would expect also. We picked it up brand spanking new in October (2011) in Chicago, and immediately started pulling it back to Arizona. We stopped in Texas for a few nights and caught rain, but otherwise it's lived in an arid desert climate.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #5

biken201,

I found it mainly on the hing latches/handles and various places on the frame. I can touch up the frame no problem, but is it possible to color match the hinges? Have you attempted to remedy any of the rust on yours?

Thanks!

James
Old 04-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #6

I haven't had a chance to address the rust. Unfortunately it is on a long list of "to do's.".

I notice it mostly on the frame, but have a little rust showing on the key entry part of my bunk end latches. I need to contact my dealer about an issue I'm having with the screws that secure the bunk end latches to the door (warranty issue), so I'll ask him about the rust also and see what he says.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #7

Unless FR has changed materials since I bought my 21SS about a year ago, your roof is not actually "rubber". You should have a sheet amongst all your paperwork for Alpha Systems with care instructions. Mine is just a photocopy. Like you already mentioned, their 1st recommendation is Murphy's Oil Soap. I used Dawn on mine back in March and it worked well. Just be sure not to use a solvent or citrus based cleaner. Just a word of warning...your roof will not stay nice and white for long. Mine was already collecting dirt a few days after cleaning. The textured surface seems to really hold onto it, but it doesn't help that I live in West Texas where blowing dirt, especially this time of year, is almost a daily occurrence. If you have seen a RV dealer or RV park in an ariel shot, you won't see many sparkling white ones! Don't fret over the roof staying clean. It only requires cleaning 2-3 times a year. Just check it regularly for damage and inspect all the sealant periodically, and worry about more important things....like your first camping trip in your new baby!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #8

Any manufactured products that sits outside for any length of time will show surface rust, that is normal and to be expected, after all it's steel painted with a thin coat of paint.

Most new cars often have surface rust in some areas. My brand new shinny rotors of my car were shinny for a few weeks, now they're rusted in many areas.

Do like I do: each year I invest in a can of Tremclad low luster black aerosol paint and touch up everything.

Like yesterday, I took my propane tanks off, the tank holder, removed the brackets from my E-quali-i-zer hitch and touched up all of them, I was surprised with all the surface rust. I then protected the front on the trailer, I touched up the A-frame. Looks great.

As for the roof, I clean it once a year with Murphy's Oil Soap and forget about, you have bigger things to worry about

Have fun and enjoy the time with you new toy.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSN46 View Post
Hey Everyone,

Anyway, everything works as it should so far. But I have been going over it with a more fine tooth comb today and noticed some things that didn't catch my eye before. I found that the roof is covered in the black dots already (mildew? mold?). And there is surface rust all over the place. It is amazing how jacked up these trailers can get just sitting on a parking lot!! Is it normal for trailers to "age" just sitting there?

What do you all use to clean the rubber looking stuff on the roof? I want to make it perfectly white again if possible.
If it's the same type roof that was on my 2003 Cherokee, those black dots are part of the rubber roof. I never figured why Forest River did it that way. You roof may be different then that though, just saying.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #10

Thank you all!!

You are right, I finally found a photocopy from Alpha roofs and it mostly explains things.

As for worrying about all the little details about the camper.... you are all right on that one also. I will "try" to not be so anal-retentive about it and just enjoy camping with my family. It is just hard for me. Coming from a military background, I have always cleaned and maintained all of my stuff to the N'th degree. My wife likes it, but thinks I'm crazy when I am outside cleaning the engine compartment of my cars... my motto is: "I will be able to eat off of my engine"... yeah.... I'm just that nuts.

Thank you again everyone. You have been SO great with advice!

James
Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSN46 View Post

PS: To those of you who helped with my Suburban worries. It towed just fine. I noticed the rear is a little "squishy" because of the LT suspension. I have airbags to install when I have time.
What kind of WDH setup did you go with ?? That might need to be adjusted.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
What kind of WDH setup did you go with ?? That might need to be adjusted.
I went with the Equalizer 8000 pound WDH with built in sway control. The owner of Dandy RV himself was talking with me when it came time to show me how to set up the hitch. He and the 5 year experienced tech walked me through it. It was set up so that it looked perfect. If we would have adjusted it in either direction (up or down) by the holes provided by Equalizer, it would have been off a little.

I think the hitch was set up fine (but then again.. who am I to know with my limited experience) I just think that the coil springs on the Suburban are at their limits with this trailer (plus the 120 pounds of junk I keep in slide drawers in the back!). Don't get me wrong, it isn't "floating" all over the place or bouncing around badly... I am just sensitive to changes in the driving characteristics of my vehicles and I noticed it was "squishy" feeling.

I have read others on other forums with the same setup noticing the same thing. They installed AirLift 1000 bags in their coils and made the rear firm again.

Thank you for your response!

James