Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #1

Grill storage

We took delivery of our 2017 (that is what the dealer called it) Roo 233s last week and had our maiden voyage this weekend. Overall the rig is fantastic and our Diesel Grand Cherokee is a great match towing-wise.

As we get ready for a longer trip this summer I am thinking about storage optimization, and for this thread the grill specifically.

I have it stored in the right front side trunk outside, but it doesn't seem to fit in there width-wise and so is wasting a ton of space.

Where do you-all store the grill when traveling?

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2016, 10:04 AM   #2

I ended up with a 2015 Solaire 213 X last year and the grill is my issue too. i only have the front pass thru storage and my grill wont fit through the door opening. only way to get the grill in is through the inside access under the bench seating. This works but first its a pain moving cushions and boards to access the storage and then you really have to maneuver it around to get past support structures. Top it off with the possibility of getting grill grime inside. I am working on putting a box on the trailer tongue to put it in or might just buy a tote that it will fit nicely in and then place in the camper or truck.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstreic View Post
We took delivery of our 2017 (that is what the dealer called it) Roo 233s last week and had our maiden voyage this weekend. Overall the rig is fantastic and our Diesel Grand Cherokee is a great match towing-wise.

As we get ready for a longer trip this summer I am thinking about storage optimization, and for this thread the grill specifically.

I have it stored in the right front side trunk outside, but it doesn't seem to fit in there width-wise and so is wasting a ton of space.

Where do you-all store the grill when traveling?

Thanks!
I stored mine under the dinette seat through the external door.
I had to take the support legs off but I was able to fit the thing, plus the legs and the cutting table...
RACarvalho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 AM   #4

I was noticing how small the external doors are to the storage area this morning. The space is big but the openings are terrible. My pop up had a bigger door to the front compartment.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #5

Yup, we transitioned from a Jayco 12FSO which had one mondo trunk outside (and nothing inside) to the 233s which has gobs of internal storage and very limited storage outside. Just trying to optimize what I have available.

I ended up moving from a hard case toolbox to a couple smaller tool "bags" from harbor freight which opened up a ton of space in there too.

I may try to rig some sort of quick release side handles on the grill so I can store it sidewise and get some wasted space back.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

We put ours in a Coleman grill bag and it sits on the floor, in front of the rear bunk.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #7

The first few trips we used it, I would put it back in the box after cleaning and leave it in our shower while traveling. Couldn't get it to fit anywhere else. Now it's on the top shelf in my garage as we don't use it anymore.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s GVWR
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #8

I've stored my Side Kick grill in the plastic zippered bags bed comforters come in. Errant grease/debris stays in the bag. Then I store the packaged grill in the bed of the truck. For my Coleman Roadtrip I have a Coleman grill bag. My home gas grill bit the dust so the Coleman has a new permanent home and I'm giving the Side Kick another shot.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping 2015, 45 in 2016, 42 in 2017
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #9

I guess part of it depends on the grill you have. When we had our hybrid, I purchased a bike rack (like this one) and strapped a folding charcoal grill to one side of it for travel/storage. Used the other side for hauling anything else I didn't want inside the camper.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:49 PM   #10

How much weight do you put on these? I assume the heavy stuff goes closest in.

Tags
storage