Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #1

Had a mouse in the house!!

Just brought the 233s home and had a little friend in a trap. He chew a hole in the side of on mattress. Ugh! Anyone know the price of a new one?
Marines0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marines0811 View Post
Just brought the 233s home and had a little friend in a trap. He chew a hole in the side of on mattress. Ugh! Anyone know the price of a new one?
$7.59 at Petco!

Rats for Sale | Live Pet Rats for Sale | Petco

Oh, wait - you meant the MATTRESS??

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #3

I don't care who you are....now that is funny!!!!!!!
Misterpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #4

Ugh he did get the canvas, it has one quarter size hole and one dime size hole. SOB!!!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #5

Mouse

Had the same problem last year. Cost us around $475 for a new mattress.

Don't seem to have problems this year. Put cab fresh and drier sheets in camper over winter.
jpbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
Canadian Member

Ugh is an understatement! There are lots of threads on the forum on techniques to try to keep them out of your trailer. I use Essence of Peppermint Oil and Fresh Cab pouches. Seal up all openings in the floor by stuffing the hole with copper or stainless steel wool and then using this Pest Block Spray Foam.

The mattress and the canvas should have labels from the manufacturer to enquire about repairs or replacement.

Good luck!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

a small piece of Gorilla Tape would do good for the canvas holes... a piece on each side w the tape glue from each side stuck together thru the hole...
round the tape corners off

I put TomCat traps (cheap at Home Depot) all over in the fall and winter, inside and outside to keep those pests at bay.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
$7.59 at Petco!

Rats for Sale | Live Pet Rats for Sale | Petco

Oh, wait - you meant the MATTRESS??
Well played....
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #9

Had what sounds like the same problem last summer. A mouse nested on the top of the folded mattress and eat a hole not only in the mattress but also in the top material that lay there when folded. Patched it to get through the season then got the end replaced and a new mattress at the factory. Here is the info.

Tent 552.15
Mattress 370.88
Labor to replaced tent 170.00 (2 hrs @ 85.00)

Total = 1093.03

I would of course not guarantee theses prices but they should be close. I bet it depends on how busy they are. We were totally flexible and just watched for a break in the weather.

Our contact, Deb Rimsa is an excellent person to work with. I worked with her a couple years ago on warranty work with the same great service, attention to detail and pleasant attitude.

We are about 4 hours from the factory so drove it up, they kept it about a week to repair then we picked it up. Summer days in Ohio this January sure helped.

Dealer prices may vary of course.

FR Contact:

Deb Rimsa
Warranty Logistics
Rockwood/Flagstaff
Phone: 574-642-8942
Fax: 574-970-6864

By the way, get under the trailer and caulk every gap, hole, etc that you can find. These things are like Swiss cheese underneath. We are all lucky we don't have raccoons or wayward deer taking up residence the holes are so big. In winter I use lots of dryer sheets, a couple mouse traps and moth balls on the ground. Lots of protection in winter. My mouse took up residence in summer. Lazy mouse.

Interesting detail, if you want to just buy the mattress from parts department it costs a couple hundred bucks more than what the repair facility charges. I had done a good job with specialized vinyl patch kits on the tent end so was just going to replace the mattress but the cost for the whole job was not that much more so I figured to protect resale value, etc I just got it all done at once.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marines0811 View Post
You should look at one of those mattresses in a box from Walmart. I replaced the queen mattress in mine with one of those and it is very comfortable plus was fairly inexpensive (Full Queen 80"x 76" was around $200 Extra Firm and very comfortable.

Good Camping ................ Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #11

I had one start a family in my engine compartment a few months ago. Ripped two nice size hunks out of my cover right over they engine hood shredded them and made a nest. I stuffed every opening I could see with steel wool and put Fresh Cab and moth balls in the house and engine compartment
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #12

Don't forget that not only do they chew, and poop, but they pee everywhere. DCon or any derivative thereof in mass quantities. Had problems in my old Montana with them in the ceiling.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #13

yup..been there. We bought the Walmart mattress and liked it so much we kept the mattress and gave the dealer the new one from the Roo when we traded the SOB in.

This pic was after the second year of infiltration. The first was rather minor. You can see my DW's rather artistic repair in the screen from the year before. We ordered a new canvas and replaced it long before we traded it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0122.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	132668  
Old 03-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Ugh is an understatement! There are lots of threads on the forum on techniques to try to keep them out of your trailer. I use Essence of Peppermint Oil and Fresh Cab pouches. Seal up all openings in the floor by stuffing the hole with copper or stainless steel wool and then using this Pest Block Spray Foam.

The mattress and the canvas should have labels from the manufacturer to enquire about repairs or replacement.

Good luck!
We've blocked every access we could find in the same way. A couple of things to add...

- Steel wool rusts. Brass wool is supposed to be better (it doesn't rust) but I've never found a supplier. However, brass scouring pads work perfectly. You can cut it up and with a popsicle stick or a piece of dowel you can poke a lot of it in and follow up with the Pest Block spray foam. About the foam...

- I learned five things about expanding foam when I first used it: (1) the can doesn't work well upside down, and (2) the spray attachment clogs easily. Since you're at the hardware store for the brass scouring pads and the foam already, you can solve both problems at once with several feet of clear vinyl tubing. Cut off 18" or so, stand the can upright, poke the tubing into the hole and spray away. And if the tubing gets clogged, toss it and cut a new piece. Oh, the other three things I learned? (3) The foam doesn't stop expanding as soon as you stop spraying, (4) It's real easy to get it on EVERYTHING, and (5) it's hard to remove. So wear old clothes, maybe even some disposable gloves, bring LOTS of paper towel and a trash bag, and take your time!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #15

Just picked up a Mattress from my dealership for $100. A little faded and a small tear on the bottom. But can't beat that price
Old 03-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #16

mice problem solution

Hi! I owned 2 Coleman popups. My second one was parked on a seasonal site And arrived at camp 2 weekends in a row to find we had been invaded by mice. We could hear them running across the canvas and roof at night. They did not damage anything. Some one told us to use dryer sheets everywhere. We did just that and never had another mouse enter the trailer. Our last trailer was a Folding Trail Manor on a seasonal site for 8 years. We kept dryer sheets in every cabinet and on top of the mattresses. We did not use them around dishes or silverware but everywhere else. We never had a mouse in the trailer. They were always changed out at least once during the winter. They also help make the trailer smell good. No mice ever. FYI WE used the snuggle brand but any brand should work.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #17
Deputy Sheriff (Ret.)

Mice can do lots of damage.

I feel your pain. I had a fairly new Jayco 35 ft. fiver and kept it in a steel bldg. next to my home. When getting ready to dewinterize, I found that mice had a large party over the winter. They had gotten in the walls, in the roof and chewed the air vents up and some wiring. To make a long story short, the insurance company totaled my rig. Now I use tons of moth balls in the bldg., fresh cab packs and dryer sheets inside my new rig. No signs yet, thank God for that.
Mike522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #18

It hit 75 here on Friday so I went out to the TT to start putting things away and do a general assessment. I am so relieved to say there have been no signs of mice or other invaders thus far. Thank God. I still firmly believe that having a cat camp with me in the TT is the strongest deterrent known to mice. I'll do more assessing once the battery is back in the TT and I can open the slides, but so far, so good. My heart goes out to those of you who have been invaded. Ugh doesn't even begin to describe it for me! Yay spring and happy camping to all of us!
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #19

Had fresh cab dryer sheets all over and 4 traps . Got him in one trap but already did the damage
Old 03-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #20

We had mouse issues 2 years ago in our apache . It was only sitting for 2 weeks at the inlaws. They caused a lot of issues tore up a mattress ruined our water hose and a bunch of our lights for the site. Never fun
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote