Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #1

Handle pulling out

The lowness of quality on this thing amazes me its truely impressive how they have made such a low quality product that can survive the riggors of being dragged down the interstate at 70 mph. That being said the grab bar next to the door on my roo183 was loose and has finally started to pull out. Anyone repair this or know what those screws are supposed to be anchored in? My guess is some sort of wood based on the screw thread but have no idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180528_152806.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	173705   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180528_152801.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	173706  
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #2

pretty sure they are self tapping screws. You could go with a larger screw or some type of insert / nutsert https://www.grainger.com/product/32F...180529213316:s
Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger View Post
pretty sure they are self tapping screws. You could go with a larger screw or some type of insert / nutsert https://www.grainger.com/product/32F...180529213316:s
I wish it was that well built. It pulled all the way out so i was able to look at it. It's essentially a 1/4" lag screw that they ran in to 1/16" or 3/32" wall tubing. A threaded screw would have been a much better choice.

Being such thin walled hollow tubing Its not to be easy to fill the hole with any sort of insert
Old 05-30-2018, 05:47 AM   #4

BigLou,"at one time/sometime" they inserted wood Inside the thin wall tubing in the area for the Door Handrail,Before they welded the frame together! Some times they "Forget or use the wrong Tube"! I know this sounds "Crude" but for a Solid support,which a Handrail needs to have,Drill through the wall and make a "Decorative Plate" out of wood/metal that will allow a Solid sandwich for rail support! This area is usually where the Fire Ex is located,mount the Fire Ex or Key Holder on the New Plates and "No One" will ever know! Youroo!!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
BigLou,"at one time/sometime" they inserted wood Inside the thin wall tubing in the area for the Door Handrail,Before they welded the frame together! Some times they "Forget or use the wrong Tube"! I know this sounds "Crude" but for a Solid support,which a Handrail needs to have,Drill through the wall and make a "Decorative Plate" out of wood/metal that will allow a Solid sandwich for rail support! This area is usually where the Fire Ex is located,mount the Fire Ex or Key Holder on the New Plates and "No One" will ever know! Youroo!!
That's exaclty what i was hoping to avoid as i want to trade it in for a 223 (maybe they are also crappy) for next season and feel a repair like that will hurt the value.

I've only had the piece of crap less than 2 years and im getting annoyed with the repairs.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLou80 View Post
That's exaclty what i was hoping to avoid as i want to trade it in for a 223 (maybe they are also crappy) for next season and feel a repair like that will hurt the value.

I've only had the piece of crap less than 2 years and im getting annoyed with the repairs.
A properly made plate and install will NOT "Hurt" the Value but a Hand Rail that is "Cobbed Job" on" WILL Hurt" someone! Youroo!!