Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #21

Not a shower issue but I attached an aluminum plate on the outside of the trailer so I could mount a ladder to the roof.

When Forest River constructed the walls, there is no reasonable sequence on how they installed the studs in the walls which is why I needed to mount that aluminum plate.

I hope Habit for Humanity doesn't use their "carpenters".
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #22

My camper has 2 x 2 wood studs.
I installed a grab bar vertically, just outside the shower.

There are TP holders and towel racks that are grab bars in disguise. Good luck.
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGilbert View Post
You can get a suction cup grab bar that holds well. I have installed them in some rooms at a camp ground lodge and never had a problem with them.
I totally agree. My wife and I both have disabilities. Harbor Freight sells a large suction grab handle for under $8 that works perfectly. I've never had one pull off and we depend upon them regularly. It's worth the $8 to buy one and try it. Buy more if they work for you. I think you'll be pleased.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul GA View Post
The right hand exterior wall you can look for studs in the same way. Look above the shower wall for those staples. Test drill a small hole, you can patch it with the same plugs they fasten the shower walls to the plywood with. Check behind the exterior door latch if your exterior walls are metal or wood studs to use the appropriate screws.
Thanks will definitely look
PamperCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul GA View Post
I take this one personally as I’ve had to do these types of upgrades for my mother after stroke.
Looking at your model, you have the curved shower doors with a cabinet to your left and sink to your right. The left back wall of the shower, the wall between the shower and the bed behind, is most likely framed with 2x2’s with thin plywood on both sides. I would look on the backside and see if I could locate those studs, look for where they stapled the wall covering to the studs. I might add a piece of floor to ceiling plywood fastened to the stud and top and bottom of the wall to help spread the load. You could mount the bar first and check, you may not have too.
As far as sealing it, silicone around the mounts and you will be fine.
Thank you, I figured on the wall between the shower and the bed there is a spot to mount a TV on the bed side, so you would think that there would be support to where I could mount something.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #26

My friend once ordered a Kodiak travel trailer and had the factory install grab bars on the back wall of the full-size bathtub. Kodiak ran the mounting hardware for the ends of the bars all of the way through the outside wall of the travel trailer and used large diameter diamond plate flanges on the outside of the unit for maximum rigidity of the grab bars. They were as solid as a rock and exactly what he needed.

Bruce
Old 11-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #27

Suction grab bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGilbert View Post
You can get a suction cup grab bar that holds well. I have installed them in some rooms at a camp ground lodge and never had a problem with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

These are surprisingly strong IF your shower walls are smooth. Ours had a pebble surface which wouldn't hold suction, so it went into the shower at home. Of course, it would be only for balance, not suspending your weight.

On our TT, the shower wall is the bedroom wall - in that case, the backing plate and bolting through the wall as suggested earlier would work fine.
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #28

I was under the impression the Roos have no framing other than at the perimeter of the wall panel so there's nothing to attach anything remotely structural line a handgrip or rail. They're not constructed like a house. Foam between a pair of skins. Quite rigid but no internal structure.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #29

My DW has balance issues and needed a grab bar in the shower. We found a suction cup one that included an indicator that shows if the suction cups are properly holding to the wall. It was purchased at one of the local pharmacy stores.

Suction cups will grab and hold well and can have their holding ability improved by spreading a thin layer of glycerine on the outer edge of the suction cup. I also use glycerine on the suction cup that holds my navigation unit to it's mounting plate. The glycerine makes the suction cups hold much better than they do without it.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #30

There is actually a support in the wall between the shower and the back room. I remember seeing it when I worked on the outlet in the rear room. Using a stud finder might help !
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #31

Grab bar

I use a grab bar with suction cups on my shower at home. Very strong and works well. You can buy at most large hardware stores as well as on Amazon. I use mine for balance as well. I check them periodically to make the suction is working well, but have never had a problem. I used this with my aging mother. We put one next to the shower door to help her get in and out, and one in the middle of the shower wall to help her with balance or get off the shower bench. Hope you find a solution that works best for you!
GAgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #32

Thanks, we did go camping over Thanksgiving, so I figured WTH will try the shower and see how it goes. Was definitely challenging with no stool or grab bar. But I was able to do it. So something as simple as a suction grab bar may work. After the trip it was time to put it up until next year, had surgery on my leg again yesterday. So I will not be able to wear a prosthetic for at least 8 weeks. But as soon as I am back up on my feet will pull it out of storage to see what solution works. That and also want to install an inverter before our next trip.

Tags
led, show, shower