Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #1

Has anyone ever installed a grab bar in there shower

We have a 23ikss and wonder if its feasible to install a grab bar in the shower. I am a Below Knee Amputee so at home I have a grab bar and use a walker to get in and out of the shower. Figure while we are camping I can just use crutches to get in and out. The walker will simply not fit the bathroom space. But trying to decide on whether a grab bar is going to cause more issues than its worth, not sure there is enough support behind the shower wall. There is the option of using a shower chair, if need be, but I have never been a fan of them.
PamperCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #2

I personally think the grab bar won't have enough hold on the shower wall, plus it would have to be sealed real good so there won't have any water damages between the walls.
I think the chair would be your best option, and like everything else that comes with camping, we will get used to it.
There's also the option of using the campground showers which are bigger and probably more ease of access !
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #3

If you can find a location with solid framework behind the wall and nothing on the outside, you can install an outside aluminum plate and through-bolt it.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
I personally think the grab bar won't have enough hold on the shower wall, plus it would have to be sealed real good so there won't have any water damages between the walls.
I think the chair would be your best option, and like everything else that comes with camping, we will get used to it.
There's also the option of using the campground showers which are bigger and probably more ease of access !
I am thinking about going the chair route for now. I tend to use the bar more for balance than support but at the same time I could lose my balance and don't want the wall coming down with me lol. I have used camp showers before. Just have not done it since the Amputation.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
If you can find a location with solid framework behind the wall and nothing on the outside, you can install an outside aluminum plate and through-bolt it.
Not sure the wife would go for me mounting a plate on the exterior as the camper is new. Was hoping if someone else had done it the would have a reference to any possible studs in the wall panel. Whether they might be aluminum or wood.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
Multi-Slacker

I bought a stool - smaller than a chair
Old 11-20-2018, 11:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
I bought a stool - smaller than a chair
Have been looking @ stools on Amazon, never liked the shower chair as it took up so much room in the shower at home. Of course the camper shower is smaller than the one at home, so would definitely have to be on the small side.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:22 AM   #8

Would a walker fit ? There are some you can fold............ Not sure if that would work (Just a thought)

The only thing is you have to make sure the legs won't put too much pressure on the shower floor
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #9

I take this one personally as I’ve had to do these types of upgrades for my mother after stroke.
Looking at your model, you have the curved shower doors with a cabinet to your left and sink to your right. The left back wall of the shower, the wall between the shower and the bed behind, is most likely framed with 2x2’s with thin plywood on both sides. I would look on the backside and see if I could locate those studs, look for where they stapled the wall covering to the studs. I might add a piece of floor to ceiling plywood fastened to the stud and top and bottom of the wall to help spread the load. You could mount the bar first and check, you may not have too.
As far as sealing it, silicone around the mounts and you will be fine.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:40 AM   #10

The right hand exterior wall you can look for studs in the same way. Look above the shower wall for those staples. Test drill a small hole, you can patch it with the same plugs they fasten the shower walls to the plywood with. Check behind the exterior door latch if your exterior walls are metal or wood studs to use the appropriate screws.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #11

Not exactly the same thing but I had to change the screws on my shower head support for at the factory they used too much torque and damage the hole in the plastic wall. You add that to three boys taking shower a day and the result is that the shower support would not be in place for long.
I put oversized (oversized diameter not lenght) stainless steel screws (2) there and based on the effort to screw then in I would say you can do it and it will hold in place if you use it for support not for hanging on it.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamperCamper View Post
Not sure the wife would go for me mounting a plate on the exterior as the camper is new. Was hoping if someone else had done it the would have a reference to any possible studs in the wall panel. Whether they might be aluminum or wood.
Contact your division customer service. They are VERY helpful to those of us (DW in my case) dealing with disabilities.

They may even offer some suggestions for adding extra grab handles around the camper. The cost of the matching grab handles was VERY reasonable.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Contact your division customer service. They are VERY helpful to those of us (DW in my case) dealing with disabilities.

They may even offer some suggestions for adding extra grab handles around the camper. The cost of the matching grab handles was VERY reasonable.
Excellent advice! Thank you. I just called my friend who is currently looking at the same type mods. He will call them after the holidays.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #14

You can get a suction cup grab bar that holds well. I have installed them in some rooms at a camp ground lodge and never had a problem with them.
RonGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #15

Just be aware that there is a vent stack running up one of the walls. Don't ask how I know!
Old 11-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #16

I have asked about that myself for my wife who had a stroke and the only way they can put a grab bar in the shower they would have to run bolts through the whole wall to the outside of the trailer
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #17

Will not work on rv shower walls they flex to much
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #18

Always wondered why the manufacturers don't identify hard mount points in showers, etc. for those of us that need extra hand holds and balance grabs. Or maybe include or offer handicap handholds?
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #19

FB

I've had good luck with subplate when mounting handrails on soft plaster walls. Mount a strong plate on shower wall that fastens to two studs. Then mount your handrail to the plate. The plate distributes stress and stiffens wall.
trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #20

At my S&B I use one of those that clap onto the edge of the tub. I got a step stool for my TT bath. I had to have one to reach the bathroom fan anyway This last year i found a vacuum type to put on the shower wall, it didn't work in the RV (a textured shower surround]. I using it in my S&B. Since I do a lot of boondocking, I do sink baths, for me.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, show, shower