Old 04-23-2015, 01:07 AM   #1
Has anyone roof mounted solar panels on their Roo with adhesive

I have a couple of 100W Renogy flexible panels with a 30A PWM controller that have been working out really well for us so far.

The panels are so light (3lbs ea) that I have just been laying them on top of the front bunk end when we set up camp and hook up the solar system.

But now I'm considering roof mounting the panels but don't want to put holes in my new HTT roof.

So have any other Roo owners used advisive to mount panels to the roof - or will I be the crash test dummy on this endeavor?

My initial plan would be to use 3M VHB to adhere the flexy panels to the front portion of the roof, then dicor around the edges to prevent wind from getting under and lifting the panels during transport. Another FRF user did something similar (though I cannot locate their post).

I know I'll lose some efficiency due to heat build up but I'm willing to make that trade off.

I would then build custom length cables and drop them through the roof next to the tv antenna cable and into the electrical chase (23IKSS - where the switch control panel, entertainment unit etc is located). I haven't decided whether to mount the controller in this this area or continue the wire run up into the front storage compartment and mount the controller there.

Either way, I'll of course need to run the controller output up from to the battery(ies).

Any thoughts or caveats about this plan?

Martingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
I am seriously considering doing something similar on my Roo 19. Looking into solar, but leery of bolting traditional panels to the roof. There are good deals on semi-flexible panels on eBay. I will then use a 3M adhesive and Dicor on the edges. One point of caution - there is a good video review of this type of system after a year of use on YouTube - Gone with the Wynn's I think. It seems the panels may tend to cup a bit, and need periodic cleaning, which can scratch them. Lastly, I think I will mount the controller on the wall/cabinet area near the front bunk so as to be close to the batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

6wate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
cogito ergo moo
How thick/big are they. Could you install them on top of the slide? Sounds crazy, but hear me out...

If there is adequate room, then you could glue them on, and not have to worry about high winds from towing ripping them off, and they would be protected from rain/hail/snow/theft when you are not using the camper.

if the clearances work out, it might be a place to consider...

FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 2012
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss (coming soon)
Nights camped 2016 -9
Nights Reserved 077121212125 ..........My Project Blog:

Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Might work on the slides, but you couldn't have slide covers obviously.
Old- 2002 21 Roo
New- 2015 Shamrock 23 IKSS
TV- 2010 Nissan Titan CC
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
That would be a good way to protect the panels when not in use. However, the major downside is that you would have major shading issues, which would severely degrade your power production. Even partial shading on the roof due to the AC, roof vent and antennas can be an issue, so placement is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
6wate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
I like the idea, the only thought that popped into my head is that once they are mounted, they cant move (I know, what a concept, lol). My point, if you are in a campground with trees, it might be convenient to be able to move the solar panels to the spot with the most sun. Once they are mounted, you then have to maneuver your camper to have them in the best spot, which may be terribly inconvenient. Plus, once they are mounted, you are then forced to park your camper in the sun all day, heating up the inside, rather than parking in the shade, and moving the panels to the sun. Just a few thoughts. You will have to make that determination based on your own personal needs, just wanted to bring up the fact that portable panels can be moved to the sun with ease

2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost
Semperfi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
RVing With Tito:
How to install a flexible solar panel
Flexible solar panel, charge controller & battery monitor

Gone With the Wynns:
Powerful flexible solar panels
johntaylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
Thanks for the ideas and links everyone.

We've been using our setup in "portable" mode so we understand the pros/cons and definitely want to go for the permenant install once I get things figured out. We want to eliminate another setup/tear down item.

The slide top option wouldn't work due to shading and the fact that we run slide toppers.

The front of the roof seems the best spot as it has the least amount of nearby obstructions and is the flattest part of the roof.

Still thinking through the process but hope to start the mod soon.

Thanks again for the input!
Martingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:23 AM   #9
I'm looking in to this also.

T2mcnulty is offline   Reply With Quote

mount, roo, roof, solar