Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

Has anyone seen or purchased the 21BD?

I really like the floor plan as it features a few things I like better than the 21dk such as the dinette windows and the half wall that will help block the mattress when turtled. The storage deck would really help in taking some of my gear as well but not sure I want to really add that weight on the tongue. I haven't heard anything about it.

The thing I am trying to figure out is why that model is listed in the brochure as 7 inches taller than the 21dk? I noticed 2 of the longer models are also listed as 7 inches taller. Don't they all share the same curved ceilings?

Thanks!
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #2

First, don't rely on listed dimensions if this is a critical determinant in any way for you! The listed height is ground to roof of "fixed" structure and does not include items like vents, skylights, A/C, antenna, etc!

For the deck model, the camper box is sitting on a different frame configuration, which is where you have a height variation. Further, the DK does not have (or need) a flush slideout, but the slide is flush for the dinette on the BD. Because of the slide mechanisms used, this is also height difference.
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

Thanks geotex. I wish they offered it without the cargo box as I really like the extra floor space it gives you with the larger slide yet it keeps most of the things I like about the 21DK. That entertainment center is very nice as well.

The height isn't really an issue but every inch matters in towing so not loving a taller profile.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:52 PM   #4
Site Team

This is a brand new floor plan and may not have made it to the dealers yet.
I've never even seen it mentioned on any other hybrid forum nor anyone owning one yet.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #5

Do any of the towing experts have an opinion on whether the front rack on the 21BD could cause issues with WDH? I plan to invest in a Blue Ox Sway Pro as I wasn't super excited by my old chain and friction bar setup in my previous TT.

Looking at the photos I am wondering if there is enough room for the brackets.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
Broken Toe

I have the 21SSL with the big (8'x8') deck on the front. I have the Reese Dual-Cam WDH and my snap-up brackets are just behind the propane tanks. In fact, I have to squish the rear corners of the bottle cover in a little bit to get it to clear the brackets (about a quarter inch or so). Assuming roughly the same dimensions from the ball coupler to the propane tanks, it looks like my setup would work OK on the BD. I can't speak about any other types.

I don't have a great photo, but here is one I have. You can kinda see where they are.

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #7

Thanks for that feedback! I didn't even think about clearing the propane tanks so that is another consideration. It looks like you have a lot more room between the tanks and the start of your storage deck. The BD looks like it has only a small amount of space between the tanks and the deck.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #8

Cow racer , how does that tow? my tow vehicle is 7.3 Excursion with V and b mod springs. That is the trailer that I want but I am worried about how it will tow without a lot of weight up front. I want the toy hauler for bikes, cooler, firewood, lawn chairs and such. The only time it would have a 4 wheeler on it is deer season once a year at best. I am just worried about the lack of tongue weight. Plus I am currently using a Hensley arrow hitch which would be overkill. Thanks
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #9

Most typical modern WDH should fit the 21BD just fine because FR is completely aware most setups will need to run one. However, I wanted to get you a first-hand answer. DW and I know a family who bought one of the first BDs off the line (sounds like they got every option too)! We spoke last night planning our yearly NE get-together so I asked. Dealer installed their 1K/10K Equal-i-zer from their prior TT, and it fit fine.

Our friends are over the moon with it! I'm envious they are camping this weekend.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #10

Thank you so much! It helps to know that will work. Now I just have to do a real "versus" list between that and the DK and I should be good to go. For those of you with any Roo model, do you think having the half wall in front of the front bunk is a good thing or a bad thing? I see how it could cut down on the open feeling the bunks give you, but I also see how it could keep the mattress contained when turtling. It seems like the BD runs about 1k more in price but definitely getting some bang for that buck in storage.

Thanks again, it is so hard when you can't sit down in a new model to answer some of these questions.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #11

I have the 21SSL (same as Cowracer) and have towed it without anything on the front deck. I was towing with a 2011 Ram 1500 with Airlift bags in the rear. I would say that the ride was smoother with a quad on the front, but overall, not that much different. The 21SSL put the Ram near it's limitations without anything on the deck, let alone with a quad on there. I've actually sold the Ram and bought a 2009 Sierra 2500 HD Duramax/Allison... which I can't wait to hook the trailer up.

I found that putting a quad on the deck 60% of the weight went to the tongue.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I have the 21SSL with the big (8'x8') deck on the front. I have the Reese Dual-Cam WDH and my snap-up brackets are just behind the propane tanks. In fact, I have to squish the rear corners of the bottle cover in a little bit to get it to clear the brackets (about a quarter inch or so). Assuming roughly the same dimensions from the ball coupler to the propane tanks, it looks like my setup would work OK on the BD. I can't speak about any other types.

I don't have a great photo, but here is one I have. You can kinda see where they are.

Mmmm.. 21SSL
Old 02-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #13

Yeah...gotta admit...pretty awesome setup he has going there.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
For those of you with any Roo model, do you think having the half wall in front of the front bunk is a good thing or a bad thing? I see how it could cut down on the open feeling the bunks give you, but I also see how it could keep the mattress contained when turtling. It seems like the BD runs about 1k more in price but definitely getting some bang for that buck in storage.
Personal preference I think. Being that we had the 21ss, the front bunk had the cabinet next to it (I later raised it and built it out as an entertainment center). Definitely helped keep the bed together when we put our 4" 2-ply foam topper on the factory mattress for comfort. To us, didn't change the open feeling before or after I did the upgrade to it.

I would personally buy a BD if I was shopping for hybrids again because that storage is a must for us! On my 21SS, I slung a 66" aluminum chest toolbox out the back (no need to flame me fellow members, I'm a degreed and licensed engineer that actually put himself through school building and fabricating and that box traveled over 14K miles) in order to hold our Porta-chef grill, camp chairs, leveling planks, and container of sewer fittings. Now I could just do that on the deck, raise the bike rack a bit and have that too and keep a positive tongue weight! However, that's us!

A new camper is always exciting!
Old 02-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #15

It does seem like a great place to put a lightweight box to keep all of my kayak life jackets and wet gear. I will be towing with an f-150 so I have to be a little careful on tongue weight though. It sort of looks in the pictures like the rails actually detach???

(always looking for ways to drop that tongue weight)
Old 02-17-2015, 03:09 PM   #16

Quote:
It does seem like a great place to put a lightweight box to keep all of my kayak life jackets and wet gear. I will be towing with an f-150 so I have to be a little careful on tongue weight though. It sort of looks in the pictures like the rails actually detach???

(always looking for ways to drop that tongue weight)
Rails detach for sure.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:14 PM   #17

Hmmm....so I assume the published tongue weight includes that rack. I bet that is 25 pounds right there.

Storage is good.

More floor space is good.

Hmmmmm.....BD may be taking the lead!
Old 02-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Hmmm....so I assume the published tongue weight includes that rack. I bet that is 25 pounds right there.

Storage is good.

More floor space is good.

Hmmmmm.....BD may be taking the lead!
LOL! Don't you know with new camper, the following season comes new TV!

It is a nice looking model with great storage and actual CCC to boot! Strikes me funny that I noticed FR still uses the exact same fender skirts it did starting back in 2007 when the 21ss went to a flush super slide. I'd skip the dorm fridge outside and use the storage there. I'd also see if FR would let me order it without the dinette and then put a real nice sleeper sofa in that slide!

Now why am I thinking about modding a 21BD when I have a brand new TT of my own getting custom touches...
Old 02-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #19

Haha...I really do not want a new TV. I really like my TV. Really close to the top of my limits on my ecoboost payload. Oh the temptation of more storage versus the conservative floorplan to save 500 pounds. Easy to lose sight of why you are looking at a hybrid in the first place!
Old 02-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #20
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobz View Post
I have the 21SSL (same as Cowracer) and have towed it without anything on the front deck. I was towing with a 2011 Ram 1500 with Airlift bags in the rear. I would say that the ride was smoother with a quad on the front, but overall, not that much different. The 21SSL put the Ram near it's limitations without anything on the deck, let alone with a quad on there. I've actually sold the Ram and bought a 2009 Sierra 2500 HD Duramax/Allison... which I can't wait to hook the trailer up.

I found that putting a quad on the deck 60% of the weight went to the tongue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
Cow racer , how does that tow? my tow vehicle is 7.3 Excursion with V and b mod springs. That is the trailer that I want but I am worried about how it will tow without a lot of weight up front. I want the toy hauler for bikes, cooler, firewood, lawn chairs and such. The only time it would have a 4 wheeler on it is deer season once a year at best. I am just worried about the lack of tongue weight. Plus I am currently using a Hensley arrow hitch which would be overkill. Thanks
I've had 2 full-size 4x4 quads on my deck many times. I run a 10K Reese Dual-Cam hitch and I honestly cant tell any difference between loaded deck and empty deck. I have no idea what the tongue weight is at that point. I might be alarmed if I knew, but so far the mighty Excursion has not complained one bit. I probably tow empty 60% of the time, and I use the same chain links loaded and unloaded on the Reese. The only real drawbacks to it are A) its LONG. Getting in tight spots can be a chore. From the hitch to the axles feels like... oh.. about 165 miles. Tight turns are not easy. and B) it tows 'harder' at highway speeds because the box is like a big parachute. On a regular hybrid, the truck will loft some of the air above the camper, but with the SSL, the air will come off the back and hit the trailer right in the front of the box. It gets noticeable above 65MPH or so

I've even had both ATVs on the deck, firewood, coolers and 'luggage' in the back of the Exy, and 7 people reasonably comfortably in it all at the same time. I know they aren't the darlings of the Sierra Club, but damn, there are some things that no other vehicle can do like the Excursion can.

Back on topic: I'm not a fan of the BD's floor plan, personally. It seems a bit "closed in" compared to the 21SS.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote