Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

Haulin' Toys on the 21SSL

So we bought the 21SSL for its capability as a toy hauler. Mainly we want to haul our Harley dresser , but will likely also haul a snowmobile or two. Got a heavy duty Equal-i-zer hitch as part of the package.

I thought I'd try to load 'er up last week using the ramps but got way too nervous once my feet could no longer touch the ground - so I bagged it (rather than hozing my bagger). Looking into real big-bike ramps, but in the meantime ...

-How does everyone out there use the "deck" on their SSL?
-Do you use the "ramps" provided or buy aftermarket (real) ones?
-What kind of stuff do you haul?
-How does what you haul affect your road handling and tongue weight?
-Did you need to readjust your WDH installation?
-Got any pix of stuff on the deck, loading, unloading, etc?

Thanks to all for the valuable info I've seen kicking around.
When I get my ramp I'll make sure to take some pix and post 'em.
dhbpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #2

I'll let ya know

We just got the call yesterday that our 21SSL just arrived on the lot! This is huge since as of last Thursday there was no word it was even off line yet. So delivery was AMAZING!! We'll be loading 2 four wheelers up on our deck and maybe a golf car if we aren't wheeling.
2012 21ssl on the way
2007 Dodge Mega Cab
Plus 4 Four wheelers for added fun!
UsNC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #3

I usually take the four wheeler and a dirt bike when we go to a suitable spot to camp. Here are a few pics:

ScottyNuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #4

What's your tow vehicle? How much does that stuff weigh?
Old 07-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #5

I'm sure I'm pushing the limits when I fill all of the water jugs, gas containers, bikes, etc. My tow vehicle is a 1998 Ford Expedition with the 5.4L engine. I swapped out the Ring and Pinion and run 4.88's.........so far so good!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #6

That's good news for me! I have a 2000 Expy that I think already has the 4.88 on it (from the tag on the diffy). It hauls the empty Roo without a problem (but man is it loooong), and it sounds like it should do the job quite nicely - but wishing for a larger fuel tank!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbpac View Post
That's good news for me! I have a 2000 Expy that I think already has the 4.88 on it (from the tag on the diffy). It hauls the empty Roo without a problem (but man is it loooong), and it sounds like it should do the job quite nicely - but wishing for a larger fuel tank!
LOL.....that's funny!!! I'm in the same boat, the length is sooo deceiving. It "looks" short, but take that first corner and you appreciate the over 30' length pretty darn quick. Two weeks ago on the way home from camping, I took the narrowest, windiest road home (saves about 20 miles in distance).....lots of 15mph turn speed limits.....talk about white knuckles!

This is the road: (My wife and I ride our streetbikes on this road and love it....but it's a bit too twisty for the 21SSL! Warning, this vid will make you want to buy a bike.)

YouTube - ‪27 Stove Prairie Road‬‏
Old 07-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #8

Well......after struggling up a few passes here in Colorado, I've decided that I need to upgrade my TV...........the Expy, with 4.88 gears in it is just struggling too much up those mountains. The 5.4L is a great engine, but it just doesn't have what it takes to pull this kind of weight up the mountains.

Diesel, here I come. bleh.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #9

Gettin' ready to haul through our "mountains" (PA, NY) with the Hawg. Will post a photo loaded up. I'd *love* to go back to a diesel, but no $$ for that right now. If this can't handle it, will upgrade the Expy with cat-back, cold-air intake and a chip.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

dhbpac,

Save your money. You want gain 10 horsepower from all of those mods.
Been there, done that, got a "T" shirt.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #11

So here's my pic of the pre-trip load. Taking her from Bawl-mer up to the St. Lawrence River (north past the Adirondacks).

At our first stop now, noticed that one of the WDH mounting brackets seems a little warped ... hope this doesn't break at LEAST until we get home in 6 days!

@windrider: I know I won't get much ... but it is cheaper than buying the diesel truck (which we will get next year).

More pix later!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawg Roo.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	7003  

Tags
21ssl