Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #1

HD Antenna

We are planning a camping trip next weekend at Clarks Hill lake in Georgia and I was wanting to watch the Georgia and Clemson games. I have a portable satellite dish and directv but it won't pick up local channels that the games are coming on. My question is have any of you used these outdoor hd antennas and do they work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dawg82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg82 View Post
We are planning a camping trip next weekend at Clarks Hill lake in Georgia and I was wanting to watch the Georgia and Clemson games. I have a portable satellite dish and directv but it won't pick up local channels that the games are coming on. My question is have any of you used these outdoor hd antennas and do they work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Can't help with the antenna question, but you might want to check out Mistletoe State Park while in the area. The best State park I've ever stayed in. Go up at least twice a year. Right off I-20 near Thomson, GA.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #3

Trailer info would be helpful. Most late model trailers have hd antennas with antenna boosters.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:00 AM   #4

I have a 2011 Shamrock 21ss. I don't pick up the needed local channels with the antenna on the trailer.
dawg82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #5

If you have the Winegard batwing antenna you may need to add the Wingman UHF attachment to it. It is easy to attach and inexpensive.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #6

There is no such thing as an HD antenna. For TV, an antenna is an antenna.

Bruce
Old 09-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #7

If you want to get the locals for the area you are camping in, do like I do and call DirecTv and change your service address. This is never a problem and you can change it back whenever you want.

Bruce
Old 09-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #8

Bruce you are correct on the HD antenna issue. However the Winegard batwing was only VHF and most TV channels are now on UHF. Therefore those with the older batwing antennas need to add the UHF section to get good reception.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg82 View Post
I have a 2011 Shamrock 21ss. I don't pick up the needed local channels with the antenna on the trailer.
You may need to do some trouble shooting with your current antennae. With my RV sitting in the driveway, I can pick up 20 some channels, including some about 75 miles away, with a small mountain in the way. I do have a Wingman on on Winegard Sensar.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
Bruce you are correct on the HD antenna issue. However the Winegard batwing was only VHF and most TV channels are now on UHF. Therefore those with the older batwing antennas need to add the UHF section to get good reception.

I haven't added the add on to my bat wing and all the HD broadcasts are picked up for viewing in HD. it all depends on how far away from the nearest transmitter one is as to picking the channels up. The add on, or a Jack antenna may assist with a greater distance but if to far away (or obstructed) no add on will help and if the broadcast is in HD the good old bat wing will suffice without the add on. Yes, no such thing as a HD or digital antenna. JMO
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post

NOT TRUE!
We have been using just the original Batwing on our 2007 23SS and we get HD reception.
I can get HD reception at home, with rabbit ears antenna.
HD antennas are a scam.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #12

a good HD antenna is necessary if not near any city and trying to get signal from 40 miles away plus... some are directional and some are not...

hopefully your camping spot is high and not in a valley...

look online for the direction and distance from the local closest transmitter for the channel you need for the game and pickup an antenna from online sources like

MCM Electronics: Home and Pro Audio/Video, Security and Test Equipment

don't forget cable and connectors and a pole or two to mount the antenna to and get it elevated...

I have Sirus XM radio and they carry many games on their channels.

antenna guidelines here:

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/antennas-...tal-television

If you are close to a signal like at HOME, you can use a coat hanger... but then your not camping

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna