Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 10:24 PM   #1

Hello first timer here storage issues in shamrock

I have been checking out this site since our new purchase and am loving the ideas and feedback everyone gives hope someone can help me with my problem.
We just purchased a new to us 2001 Shamrock 21FR, so far I am not loving it, but it was an upgrade from our 1984 Bonair TT as it lacked a much needed bathroom. The problem i have with the shamrock is storage for food and dishes. It has a closet which is great for clothes but has a useless bed over the closet, a floor to ceiling cupboard would have been a better design. Can't imagine letting a kid up there to sleep
almost 5' in the air with no rails . Has anyone replaced the bed with cupboards? I currently just use it to store extra linen but am looking for some ideas to create more storage for food and extra blankets for chilly nights so i don't have to bring bins or put everything down when traveling.
There is no space under dinette to store blankets or anywhere else so that option is out. Also there is a window above it which I'd rather not block with anything permanent just in case it leaks. The hubby is very handy so he would like to build some cupboards but I would love any simple ideas to avoid attaching into the walls. maybe just anchoring it to the top of the cupboard but will that be enough? Thanks
Save
DonnaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:27 PM   #2
Site Team

There might not be anyone here with that model, so you probably won't get an answer about modifying the bed.
Sounds like an unusual floorplan.

Is it a hybrid TT?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah its a hybrid. It does have a different floor plan that's for sure. I would have never purchased this model new but got it for good price. right now i just use interlocking basket shelves and put it on the floor when we are traveling but it's heavy for me to lift up when its filled. Hopefully someone on here has had a similar model or storage ideas they could share.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:49 AM   #4

Post pictures fro different angles, the folks on here will probably have some ideas.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #5

Its not that unusual of a floor plan, I ran across several when I was shopping around the last few years. I haven't seen any newer than about a 2004 or so, so I don't believe they were produced very long. I think this is the floor plan;
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004_shamrock_21_floorplan.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	142222
The bed is kind of on the narrow side and there were not any rails or anything of the like in any of the ones that I remember looking at. I wasn't real comfortable with the set up with the bed that far off the floor, and besides, I was pretty dead set on finding a 3 bunk unit. I cant remember the arrangement exactly, but I wouldn't think it would be too tough to build on to it and extend it up, but Im not sure what to do about the window being there.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #6

Found this video of one. About 5:20 into the video you can see the wardrobe and bed above that the OP is referring to.

Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #7

You should be able to modify it however you'd like. Just check your warranty paperwork to make sure you aren't voiding anything.

In the meantime, have you tried to place some of the plastic drawers on the bed? I've known others to remove the mattress and use Sterilite or similar sets to store items on their beds. You can put a screw in each end of the bed base and hold the drawer sets down with a bungee cord or strap.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
You should be able to modify it however you'd like. Just check your warranty paperwork to make sure you aren't voiding anything.
I don't think that any warranty is left on a 17 year-old trailer.[emoji6]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
Site Team

I like reading the primp my.... and mods threads. Many of the ideas can work in other units. Not likely to solve all the storage challenges but you might find some ideas.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #10

My hubby has built me 2 small cupboards to go on either side of the window. it will be mounted to the top of the closet and the outside wall. We decided not the put one under the window so i can still put my extra bedding or whatever up there. I think with the extra cupboards it will help organize the space better and will be easier to pack up in a hurry if the weather turns to rain. If i can figure out how to post pics i will as soon as its completed. Still a work in progress for sure. Thanks for all the advice appreciate it.

Tags
first time, shamrock, storage