Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #1

Help...Electrical no power

Have my Roo plugged into the house and getting no power other than microwave. Needless to say, but by no means am I an electrician or close to it. You can hear a fan come on when the lights come on they stay on for maybe 5 seconds then everything off again.

Oops won't forum

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Northstar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
Insert witty title here

Have you checked the power coming out of the outlet?

Any breakers tripped?

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #3

Checked breakers and fuses in box under fridge and nothing.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Insert witty title here

Do you have a voltmeter to measure the power coming out?

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar10 View Post
Have my Roo plugged into the house and getting no power other than microwave. Needless to say, but by no means am I an electrician or close to it. You can hear a fan come on when the lights come on they stay on for maybe 5 seconds then everything off again.

Oops won't forum

OK, we're going to cover some basics real quick, and that may help figure out the problem

You RV has two electrical systems. A 120 volt AC system (like your house) and a 12 volt DC system (like your car)

OK, your microwave, television, air-conditioner, and anything that is plugged into an outlet has to have 120 volt AC power. You can only use these items when you are plugged into a form of this. Your microwave is operating, so we know you are getting at least 120 volt AC from your house to your RV.

Now, your lights, furnace, fans, pumps, radio.. run off of 12 volt DC (battery). When you are not plugged into 120 volts AC these items will still work, but just draw power from the battery. You have a neat little thing called a converter. This converter takes 120 volt AC and converts it to 12 volt DC to also power these 12 volt DC things when you are plugged into shore power so your battery doesn't have to. This converter also will recharge your 12 volt DC battery too.

You seem to possibly be having a converter problem, and could be hearing the fan in the converter coming on (which it should if there is a lot of draw on it).

Can you plug something into one of your RV's electrical outlets and verify there is power to it, or maybe turn on your television if equipped to also verify? This should let us know definitely if it's all going to be a 12 volt DC problem.....and we'll go to the next step.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:26 PM   #6

I will do that as soon as I can get back to it. May be a little while though.....thank you
Old 12-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
Site Team

OK, while awaiting, I'm going to throw some easy stuff to also verify.

If you for some reason have a 12 volts disconnect switch, make sure it doesn't have the battery disconnected......thus no 12 volt DC power or recharge from the converter.

Something else that commonly goes wrong, is that there is what is called a 12 volt resettable breaker. This is usually located on your frame rail just past where it goes under your RV. You can find it by chasing your batterys wire backwards to where it goes under your RV. You will usually find something that looks similar (either plastic or metal) to this pics. You will also notice the little black button on the side of it. If this circuit breaker has tripped, you press in that little black button to manually reset this breaker. Might as well locate your and make sure it's not tripped, as it's good to know where this is anyway....and what exactly yours looks like.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar10 View Post

Oops won't forum

Northstar, if your microwave is working and nothing else check your GFIS kitchen and bathroom! The fan noise is your converter! Youroo! !

Tags
electric, electrical, power