Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #1

Help me decide - portable tank options!

I've got a Roo 23ss and am in need of a portable tank.

It looks like the two brands of choice include the Barker Tote Along and the other manufacturer making the Tote n Stor.

I'm comparing the 22 gal Tote Along, 15 gal Tote Along with the 25 gal Tote N Stor and 15 gal Tote n Stor - all two wheel models.

For those that utilize the portable tanks, why did you select the brand purchased? Any issues with transferring the grey water to the portable tank? I've read comments from a purchaser that the high profile of the tote n store that some guy purchased was a few inches higher than his tank outlet. Seems to me that the force of the grey water wouldn't present an issue. Thoughts?

My grey water tank is 30 gal, but I'm not opposed to making a couple of trips if required. At the very least I'm looking to avoid having to hook up the Roo to dump the grey.

It seems like the tote n Stor offers a storage compartment for the gear needed, yet the tote along is a bit more expensive. What gives?

Thanks!

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #2

If it is just grey water, I use a 5 gallon bucket. Two trips each night I get rid of 8 gallons. At the end of the week the grey water tank is full & I can do a proper dump on the way out of the campground. This is not a good idea for the black water .

I would look at the smaller size just for ease of handling. Your DW might have to do this job sometime too, so size matters. I have seen some campers pull large tanks with their TV.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #3

We used a Barker when we had our popup and hybrid. Get one that you can tow slowely behind your F150. It makes the job alot easier in campgrounds with gravel roads or if the dump station is far from your site.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStick View Post
I've got a Roo 23ss and am in need of a portable tank.

It looks like the two brands of choice include the Barker Tote Along and the other manufacturer making the Tote n Stor.

I'm comparing the 22 gal Tote Along, 15 gal Tote Along with the 25 gal Tote N Stor and 15 gal Tote n Stor - all two wheel models.

For those that utilize the portable tanks, why did you select the brand purchased?
You missed one big brand - Thetford Smart Tote.

I chose the Thetford product since I think that it is built better than the Barker - the other top choice. I got the 35 gallon tank since its capacity is larger than any of my tanks, and it works very well. You want to get one with 4 wheels, and the larger the wheels the better. Water is very heavy so you need to bear in mind that you will need to manually move the tank from the side of the RV to the truck.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #5

Sorry I don't want to change the thread here, but I was thinking of using a flojet macerator to pump it into a Portable tote as well! I don't have either yet! Instead of pulling the tote it would sit in the pickup bed and drive to the dump station. It would also solve the problem of RV drain being lower than top of tote. And how well do the flojet pumps work???
Old 04-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Barker Tank - 32gl IIRC. The Barker is very well thought of amongst the RVing population. You can search here, RV.net and other places for details but my internet search several years ago pointed me to the Barker as the best of the bunch. Re: Wayne's Thetford - they might be as good or better. Thetford has a good name.

Remember that water weighs 8.35lbs per gl. So, filling up that 15gl tote makes it 125lbs with the weight of the tote (~10lbs). The recommendation to get one with sturdy wheels is a good one. You really don't want to try to man-handle one of these and you don't want it flipping.

I chose mine because it has four wheels and can be hitched to my truck. I've never filled it up completely, but its supposed to weigh 270lbs full. The smallest four-wheel job from Barker is their 16-gl and that weighs 135lbs full. Both of those weights are too much for me to lift so I figured I might as well go with the larger one.

But, I might do it differently now and get a smaller one. The 32gl tank is big and bulky and the Roos don't have a lot of storage for this size. Just some food for thought.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
And how well do the flojet pumps work???
I don't have one, yet. I've thought about it for pumping to my home septic but haven't pulled the trigger. I have see them at work and am impressed. Its been discussed a lot so here's some FRF search results in case you don't get anything else.

flojet macerator - Google Search

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #8

I had one of the blue totes before but bought the Thetford (27 gal) this time. It seems to be well built, but there are a few stupid things wrong with mine.
1) The printed instructions for removing the vent assembly tell you to turn it the wrong way. They've corrected it on-line and I assume they'll sell out of the "wrong" ones after a while.
2) The screws that attach the handle to the tank are too short to reach the nylon in the nylon lock nuts. I lost one first time out and replaced it (and the others) with 1-1/4 stainless.
3) The four washers on the main axle are all behind the wheels. I'm quite sure that one should be on the outside of each wheel, behind the press-on nut.

Still, I'd buy it again. The front swivel wheel is heavy-duty and I like the way it attaches to a hitch ball.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Sorry I don't want to change the thread here, but I was thinking of using a flojet macerator to pump it into a Portable tote as well! I don't have either yet! Instead of pulling the tote it would sit in the pickup bed and drive to the dump station. It would also solve the problem of RV drain being lower than top of tote. And how well do the flojet pumps work???
I think this is the best answer (even for the OP). There's no manhandling a heavy tote and no driving extra-extra slow through the campground.

Now, if my family wasn't a bunch of Wookies- I'd consider one. For now, I only camp with full hookups.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #10

I also have a barker 32 gallon 4 wheel and love it! I had a barker 25 gal 4 wheel and also loved it I wanted more capacity but 42 was to tall. All my friends laught when I bought it now they all use it. Trust me get a 4 wheel either way you go they get very heavy. Call barker direct they sold me the tank and electric tongue jack direct.
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Site Team

not sure what Wmoses is getting his info from, but the most recommended and loved Tote Tank is the blue Barker, by far.

on every RV forum i belong to, the Barker gets the most recommendations.
the Thetford is a distant second.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #12

I'm leaning towards the barker - 15 gal, 2 wheel model or the 25 gal, 4 wheel model.

Not sure if the extra 100 bucks is worth the extra two wheels.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

I like mine... specially after the rubber tires mod.

That 42 gallon tank is heavy when full and being able to dump it without lifting it is a real plus. Since my holding tanks are 40 gallons each, I can completely dump my tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user28947_pic5246_1348863721.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	28756   Click image for larger version

Name:	user28947_pic5248_1348863721.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	28757   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0519.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	28758  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #14

X2 on the Barker as the best. When researching what owners of both totes had to say, Barker won out.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
not sure what Wmoses is getting his info from, but the most recommended and loved Tote Tank is the blue Barker, by far.

on every RV forum i belong to, the Barker gets the most recommendations.
the Thetford is a distant second.
Dan - I never said my Thetford was "best", did I? I said I preferred it. It works great for me - built well, works well, tough durable AND it looks better than the Barkers. That is my opinion.

BTW - not because most of the people who post on forums like a certain thing we should conclude that it is the best. The best that one can conclude is that it is the most popular among the set of people on that particular forum. To conclude otherwise would be simple enumeration.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #16

Are you guys really discussing waste water tanks with such passion???LOL
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #17

Better than discussing whats IN the tanks .

Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
I chose the Thetford product since I think that it is built better than the Barker - the other top choice.
i didn't say that you said "best". but you did say it was built better.

we can agree to disagree, i was just surprised to see a post promoting the Thetford over the Barker.
i've read hundreds of posts on RV.net comparing the two and only a couple liked the Thetford over the Barker. most that had Thetford, ended up hating it.

but, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so are tote tanks!
glad you're happy with yours.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #19

My procrastination once again presented itself. I finally purchased a tote to be delivered tomorrow - just in time for our 4 day camping adventure this weekend.

I went with the newer 4 wheel model tote n stor (25 gal). I like the storage cubby for the necessary gear as well as the components that come with the tank.

Looking forward to utilizing the tote as my hunch is we will need to shower a bit more as the summer temps here in Texas have arrived. Expected to reach 98 on Sunday

Has anybody purchased one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2IEXYI

Old 06-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStick
My procrastination once again presented itself. I finally purchased a tote to be delivered tomorrow - just in time for our 4 day camping adventure this weekend.

I went with the newer 4 wheel model tote n stor (25 gal). I like the storage cubby for the necessary gear as well as the components that come with the tank.

Looking forward to utilizing the tote as my hunch is we will need to shower a bit more as the summer temps here in Texas have arrived. Expected to reach 98 on Sunday

Has anybody purchased one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B2IEXYI
I had the 22 gal. Barker- regardless of how many wheels, they get heavy quick. Figure 8.3 lbs/gal don't fill too much or you'll regret when time to lift for empty. More trips is better.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote