Old 05-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #1

Help! No DC power on my 21SS!

Getting ready to head out on my first trip this Friday. I opened the Roo up a few weeks ago to check it out, make sure it survived the winter, etc. Found no issues. I connected it to house current & left it hooked up so the battery could charge, etc.

Went back out this morning to load up some stuff & close it back. All was fine till I tried to put the slide-out in. Pushed the switch - nothing happened. After checking I discovered that everything that runs on AC power seems to be OK, but nothing that runs on DC power is working.

None of the breakers appear to be tripped. Haven't checked the fuses yet since I have to lie on the floor to get to them & that's not easy for a 64-year old fat lady.

One note - I brought the battery into the house over the winter so it wouldn't freeze. When I opened up the camper a few weeks ago, I put the battery back in place & hooked it up. Unfortunately, I got the + and - leads backwards. I realized what I'd done when the "Out" switch for the slide-out moved it in & vice versa. I switched the leads & then the switch worked properly. Not sure if that could have blown a fuse or something since the slide-out opened with no problem.

Before I lie down on the floor & start pulling out fuses, does anyone have any suggestions???

2003 Dodge Durango SXT w/full towing package
AMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #2

Check your battery cut off or may may have blown a fuse/fuses when the battery was hooked up improperly. I believe some of the equipment have independent fuses.

wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMarrs View Post
Not sure if that could have blown a fuse or something since the slide-out opened with no problem.

Before I lie down on the floor & start pulling out fuses, does anyone have any suggestions???
You hit it on the head. Almost ABSOLUTELY you popped some fuses there. More than likely in your power distribution panel or even the converter itself. They are designed that way to protect your systems and electronics from an inadvertent reverse polarity situation.

No major damage done and not spendy at all to spring for a couple of fused. It happens.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #4

I did notice that the battery cut off was pulled out & pushed it back it but that didn't seem to make any difference. Guess I'll be checking batteries in the morning.

Just curious as to why I had no problems opening the slide-out after I first hooked up the battery, but the problem showed up now? Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #5

Slide motors are very basic, fairly low tech and plenty forgiving. They don't care which way the electrical currents push them as they are designed to run in reverse polarity as normal operation. (slide in, slide out)

Your slide motor is more than likely "in-line" on your DC cables upriver from your converter and power distribution panel. As the 12v flows.. it hits a fork and sends current to your slide motor. Remaining current continues on until it reaches your other 12v circuits. A reverse polarity situation is recognized and your fuses pop to protect the rest of your rigs electronics.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #6

Look into your distribution panel and see if the two reversing fuses are blown, (most likely 40 amps orange fuses) and also your push/pull battery switch should be pulled out for battery to be connected.....hope this helps..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breaker Box.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	77550   Click image for larger version

Name:	push-pull battery disconnect.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	77551  
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #7

Thanks for the photos, Fonzie! My next task is to try to get down on the floor with a flashlight & check the fuses. And then I have to try and get back up. LOL! Thanks for all the prompt replies.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #8

Yay! All fixed....and I didn't even have to get down on the floor. Managed to reach the fuses sitting on a stool. Pulled out the two 40-amp orange fuses and both were blown. Quick trip to Advance Auto & $4 later, new fuses are in place & everything is working fine. Thanks again for the photos, Fonzie! That saved me pulling out all the fuses & checking them.

In one of the fuses, the filament was clearly burnt in two. In the other, it was just barely apart. Wondering if perhaps that's why I was able to open the slide-out when it first happened? Maybe the filament halves were still making some contact but then heat/vibration/something finally separated them completely. Whatever the reason, it's all better now.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't post here a lot but it's so great to know I can get quick & helpful advice when I need it!

Tags
power