Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #1

Help. No power

We only have power when plugged in. I have checked the battery disconnect and all the fuses, nothing out of the ordinary. Am I missing something? We recently had a problem where the slide quit working but I replaced the fuse under the trailer. While plugged in everything works fine including the slide.

2013 Nights Camped - 22 (driveway and rest area camping included)
Cruze108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #2

Did you try a different battery. Maybe the battery is bad.Try hooking a battery charger on the battery and see if it works
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

This is a brand new camper. Could the battery go bad that fast?

2013 Nights Camped - 22 (driveway and rest area camping included)
Cruze108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #4

Yes it can. My roos battery had a bad cell didn't know till end of day first campout.
joewbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruze108 View Post
This is a brand new camper. Could the battery go bad that fast?
RV dealers put in the cheapest battery they can get. unless you pay extra for an upgraded one.
so have it checked.
and did you re-install the battery and possibly hooked the wires up wrong? that would have set off the re-settable breaker/fuse along the tongue of the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruze108 View Post
We only have power when plugged in. I have checked the battery disconnect and all the fuses, nothing out of the ordinary. Am I missing something? We recently had a problem where the slide quit working but I replaced the fuse under the trailer. While plugged in everything works fine including the slide.
If all 12V stuff works when on shorepower, the convertor is working OK and should be keeping the battery at full charge. Look for a in-line 30A fuse or resettable circuit breaker on the hot wire off the battery under the camper close to the tongue. The resettable circuit look like this with the reset button on the side...

Dave
Attached Images

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with everything said here.

In general (for the OP and anyone else who experiences electrical gremlins, too), you need to follow a plan in diagnosing that will eliminate, one by one, the most likely causes first.

• Battery - buy a multimeter and check it out or do as Dan suggested and get it checked out for you. A hydrometer can also easily be used to check each cell.
  • Connections - are they all secure and clean? Especially the ground to the frame?
  • Search for a resettable breaker and or an inline fuse as Dave mentioned above. Generally on the Roo, this will be on the positive wire a few feet forwards the converter.
Here are two more pictures. The first pic is the resettable breaker. The second is a pic of a 30amp fuse...

• Cables? This is less likely with a new camper, but is there a short anywhere? Cables can rub against the frame. Are they intact running all the way from the battery to the frame (negative for the ground) and battery to the converter (positive). A multimeter helps here, too.
Page 7 speaks to troubleshooting. If there is no DC output, check the reverse polarity fuses on the front panel of the WF-8900 Series power center (See diagram below).

First, visually inspect the fuses for any breaks; if none are found, use a continuity tester to check for continuity. If the reverse polarity fuses are blown, it means the RV battery was accidentally connected in reverse, either at the battery or at the converter. Reconnect properly, then replace the fuse with the same type and amp rating as the original “Littelfuse ” Type 257 automotive-style fuse

Consider buying this book, that does a phenomenal job helping to diagnose issues that will crop up in your ownership of your trailer:

Managing 12 Volts: How to Upgrade, Operate, and Troubleshoot 12 Volt Electrical Systems by Harold Barre.

I hope that this helps.
Attached Images

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote