Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Help on leaking ROOs

HELP! I have a 2013 or 2014? Roo 21IKSS on order and I have concerns now about the bunks leaking did they ever get this problem solved ? 20 GRAND is a lot of money to spend on a major headache! Can somebody shed some light on this problem? Thank You in advance.

Brunnerb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Resident Masshole
We pick ours up on Thursday, so this is not first hand experience (yet!), but my wife was told the stitching leaves little holes that "self heal" the first time it gets wet.

I'm sure others can verify.

Tom F.
2013 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab
2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant
do you have examples of owners of newer Roos having leak issues?
if so, how many examples?

remember, forums like these attract those with problems. the vast majority of RV owners don't have problems but don't post about the fact that they don't.
it's a skewed resource for gathering facts.

if you want, post a question like, "how many Roo owners DON'T have leaks"?
i'll be the first one to answer, ME!
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Engineer of Crazy Train
I was looking at new Roos and Shamrocks this weekend at 2 open houses and the bunk ends are totally different.
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
I mentioned I had water in my rear bunk in another post, but I do not know the cause yet. Most of my (mis)adventures so far have been caused by human(owner) error so I can't rule out me or my family yet. Ensuring the canvas is tucked in on all sides when the bunk is closed is a requirement and this is my first thought when I saw the water.

I have had no water in the camper when the bunks are open, even in the torrential rain storms that we had in Orlando on Sunday.

Don't let the comments of others sway you until the cause is identified.
Kevin, Meg and DDx2
2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2004 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 3.73 4x4
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Days Camped 2013 = 9 planned before April 1st
Local Ohio CGs - Punderson SP and West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
I am one like bikendan, I have NO leak issues
I have 2013 21ss.
Also there is a break in for the canvas stitching like Force said, they need to get wet to swell.
Try not to worry about leaks or it will drive you insane.
2013 Roo 21SS
2013 Ram 1500 Crew Express 5.7 Hemi
TheBigLog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
I am in the same boat as you Brunnerb1 as I have just forked over a nice pile of $$ for a hybrid. I am going to choose to cross this water minus the anxiety and worry though as they are the enemy of what I am trying to accomplish when I get out camping.

With the bunk end issues or any other for that matter there are three potential causes:
1. Design
2. Manufacturing
3. Use

I have thought this thru and have concluded there can be no catastrophic design flaw as it would have been a financial disaster for Rockwood and other hybrid manufacturers. They make thousands of these every year and the numbers of people having issues would seem to be small compared to the whole. Now in terms of assembly no two doors or camper frames are built exactly the same. Putting them together can create a host of issues unique to each trailer as every piece doesnít fit together the same. Iím sure some fit perfectly and others need a little wrangling which stretches gaskets, insulation, weather stripping, etc to their maximum capabilities. The biggest factor that weighs into all of this is the user. I can personally take credit for trying to single handedly destroy my popup over an 11 year period of time. Ultimately, my heroic efforts were unsuccessful! The camper lives! There is lots of room for operator error in this equation and water is very unforgiving.

My camper gets delivered in five days..not that I am counting..and I have concluded that at this point there is nothing I can do about how my camper was designed or manufactured. This would be the case with any camper I purchased..hybrid, popup, or travel trailer. We are going to focus on operator errors and minimizing or eliminating them completely.

The melt is on here in MinnesotaÖso its time to plan for the all systems test on the launch pad and a summer full of camping. I do wish my Roo had a drip cap on the top of the bunk ends like the other models we looked at from Jayco, Apex, Surveyor, Palomino/Solaire, etc. However, Iíll leave that discussion for another thread! ;-)
2009 Chevy Silverado/2500/6.0/3.73/CC
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
I was talking to a Rockwood rep at the RV Show several weeks ago and one thing he said was that they had notices some water could come in through the stitching so they started using smaller needles to reduce the size if the holes. We should receive our 233S at the beginning of May. We'll see.
2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
I have a 2013 23SS that I took deliver Labor Day weekend. We have been in 3 major rain storms while camping, 1 trip it rained all weekend.. I can't count how many storms its been in during storage and not one leak in the bunk ends or the trailer itself.
keven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
The little cards that were in the windows of the fold outs recommends hosing them down so the threads swell, sealing it from future rains. Since we have been having many rains, I just let the rain hose it down for me. Appears to have sealed ok on the 23SS.

Greg, Barbara and Cody the wonder-pup.
2014 FR3 30DS
(and 2 200cc Scooters)
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote