Old 10-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #11

fallen water tank

I too have had a water tank fall to the ground when filling it. I had a mobile RV repair guy meet me at a home depot. He picked up some thicker gauge metal and re-bolted it in as well as did some spot welding. I used the trailer for another ten years with no issues. I now have a 2016 Flagstaff and can't see the tank due to it being completely covered but have wondered if it was stronger than my last one was. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:07 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Not sure how you "overfill" a closed tank. Water weighs about 8# a gal and the tank capacity is fixed. The RV company knows the static weight and should of course account for bouncing which could double the weight. So full is full.
Water pressure doesn't enter into the question as there is nothing for the water in the tank to press against other than maybe 50 psi for the area covered by the fill pipe diameter.

Any competent engineer can establish a minimum metal thickness to support the water tank.

If there was considerable rust of the mount then proper anti-corrosion (paint) should have been applied by the Rv company.

based on what I have seen from car companies and gas tanks I would think 25 years and 100,000 miles would be a reasonable expectation for only a couple % failure rate. Any more just suggests someone cut corners maybe to save a couple bucks.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:01 AM   #13

The capacity is fixed, but the shape isn't. They'll expand if you put more water flow to them than the overflow / vent hose can handle. The plastic isn't very thick on the tanks. I'm thinking it's more common when someone shoves a hose in a little bit deep and cranks the water up all the way when filling. I'm a little paranoid and never stick the hose all the way into the opening to give it somewhere to go if it back pressures.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:04 AM   #14

At least you know that your drain valve is working.
Nights Camped 2017 [tbd]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #15

My Water Tank Repair

I noticed my front water tank support was bent following a test trip with the water tank full. I was amazed with how swollen the tank was and the flimsy the mounting brackets were. I had been reading about the nightmares with the water tanks and just couldn't believe it.

Our first camping trip in May I did a test with the tank full. Upon return I notice the bent support. I contacted a friend who owns a steel fabrication company and his employees fabricated the resulting repairs.

I haven't refilled it for another test but am confident it will carry the load.

The angle iron used is 1.5"X1/4" for the front and rear and 2.5"X1.5"X1/4" for the center supports. They was all screwed in with self drilling self taping BIT ZIP screws 1/4".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flagstaff21DSWaterTankSupportII.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	123090   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterTankRepairI.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	123091   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterTankRepairII.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	123092   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterTankRepairIII.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	123093   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterTankRepairIV.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	123094  

Old 10-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #16

The same thing on my mini lite just didn't fall out. I was filling and heard a loud pop ran and turned water off looked underneath and the tank was swelled like a big dog tick. Drained it and used bottle jack and got it close. I added a 2" ratchet strap from frame to frame for insurance. Definitely can happen
Bob
Old 10-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #17

I think the key is not filling to capacity. Doing so changes the dynamics of the shape and pulls the sides of the tank away from the side support rails. There's not really a way to judge this unless someone is watching the gauges inside and says stop when it hits full.

I have to fill my tank this week to take to a campsite. This is going to be my new routine.

ChipBruce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #18
Sunseeker 3010DS

I'm no engineer but, It sounds like some of these light weight TT have engineering issues using too light of angle iron. Also too avoid the hydraulic expansion if your tank leading to some of the failures of the light weight mounting construction. Buy a silicone filling hose. Tt can be pushed into you filling tube and is small enough to allow air and water pressure to escape back past it in the event of over filling or cranking the hose wide open. Slow the filling process and you will not overwhelm the venting system.

Oh and beef up the light weight angle Iron that the engineers screwed up!!
Old 10-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamac View Post
I'm no engineer but, It sounds like some of these light weight TT have engineering issues using too light of angle iron. Also too avoid the hydraulic expansion if your tank leading to some of the failures of the light weight mounting construction. Buy a silicone filling hose. Tt can be pushed into you filling tube and is small enough to allow air and water pressure to escape back past it in the event of over filling or cranking the hose wide open. Slow the filling process and you will not overwhelm the venting system.

Oh and beef up the light weight angle Iron that the engineers screwed up!!

I'm not sure if they actually have any BS Mechanical Engineers working on the structural integrity of the support structure.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I'm not sure if they actually have any BS Mechanical Engineers working on the structural integrity of the support structure.
I'm pretty sure they don't.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank