Old 10-16-2016, 06:17 PM   #21
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
This is a common issue with most campers and not really caused by overloading tanks. I had a tank that was only 1/2 full fall off on me.

The solution is to reinforce the brackets with perpendicular brackets that keep everything in place and prevent the tanks from falling thru.

Every camper I've purchased since my tank fell off has had the tanks brackets modified. Its no big deal, better to fix it before it falls out, much easier.
Do you have photos or details of your reinforcement?

Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
2016 Wildwood Xlite 171 RBXL
2016 Ram 5.7L crewcab.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:44 AM   #22
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Mr Havercamp had the same problem. Here's the thread:

water tanks falling out

I don't know why his pics are missing, though. If you PM him, he can probably email you his pics and his fix.
The pics are missing because I deleted my photobucket account. I will send them when I find which one of my drives I dumped them on. The fix was heavier angles. The supports are under engineered by the manufacturer, Lippert Components (LCI). For laughs call them and report the problem. The him hawing and red tape run around they perform is amazing. One of the main criteria for our next trailer will be which brand/model has the least LCI stuff on it.

Rockwood uses the cheapest fresh water tank they can find. Then they jam it tight to the floor. You do not think the top will balloon up when filled??? Think again. Have the camper an inch or two out of level side to side and see what happens. The floor is oly attached to the frame at the perimeter where its bolted to the outriggers. The tank is essentially a jack and will arch the floor up if you fill it full when out of level.

In contrast the second tank I added which was made by Aplha is much thicker plastic with rounded corners and does not balloon anywhere near as much as the thin cheap tank Rockwood used. I also installed both tanks with a 3/4" gap to the underside of the floor.

Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #23
Water Tank issus

Some of you may find that when FR went to the wider body trailers they did not have the company who supplies the frames put in heavier angle iron that the front of the water tank sits on. They did put in heavier angle iron in the rear that they install and because of the extra width the front angle iron was not able to handle the additional flexing that the full water tank put on it. It caused deflection on the front angle iron and caused the tanks to drop out.

So check your units to see if you have different (Gauge )thickness on the font angle than in the back. If so then this is a design flaw that FR is aware of as it has been brought to their attention and maybe you can get them to pay for your repairs.
Ca Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #24
same issue

While filling my tank for hunting camp, the fill hose came off the nipple on the tank. Water everywhere. Had to remove the front support bracket which is attached by self taping screws to lower the tank to gain access to the fill tube and attempt to reattach it. The support brackets are not strong enough and the tank can move side to side which was the main reason the hose came off in the first place. Another project to do next spring.
isp435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #25
River Forest Sunseeker 24
I find it astonishing you could make this tank balloon up and fall off! What kind of plastic is this made of? How could it handle the heat of traveling down the highway?

If I had read this forum prior to buying a motorhome, I would not have the courage.
Ignorance may not be blissful either.....

May 2016 we bought our first RV.
Forest River Sunseeker 24ft MBS WS named "Where's Waldorf".
We will tow a Dodge Dakota as needed. It's name is DK.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote

fresh water, tank, water, water tank