Old 10-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #1

Here's a tip: Don't over fill your fresh water tank.

We're just about to leave for the last trip of the season. We're going up the road to McFarlane park for their Halloween weekend. Took off work early so I can finish packing, sanatize and flush the fresh water tank and fill it. I've never been to this park before so I'm not sure if I'm getting a water hookup or not. About the time I'm finishing up the last flush, our 9 yr old Gets home from school and asked if he could help. Sure can boy, I say, fill the fresh water tank and we should be about ready to go. I get distracted with other chores and about 15 minutes later I hear "DAD, DAD! WATER SPRAYING EVERYWHERE AND I CAN'T SHUT IT OFF." I come running and see the hose shoved into the fresh water port and a stream of water shooting out of the vent about 15 feet. I pull the hose and shut the water off. The water stream eventually died out and all seemed well until I noticed the fresh water tank laying on the ground. The tank blew up like a balloon and bent all the framework out for the tank.
After crawling around surveying the damage, I was really suprized at how thin most of the frame under the trailer is. None of its thicker than 12 guage. The main rails running g down the side of the camper seem undamaged, just the laterals and supports for the fresh water tank were bent. I got to work pounding them back out as straight as I could get them but their far from straight. Drained the tank and bolted it back up. Took a couple of hours but it should hold for one more weekend, fingers crossed. We're about to hit the road now finally. Come spring, this fresh water tank is going under the torch, and getting replaced with at least 1/4" angle iron.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161014_153056.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	122976   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161014_153107.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	122977   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161014_153118.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	122978   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161014_170249.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	122979  

Finster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
Sunseeker 3010DS

Don't know what kind of water pressure you have but Hydraulics can move a locomotive at fairly low pressure. There are fresh water filling valves with soft silicone type rubber hose smaller than the filling tube so in the event the tank over fills the water will just run back by and out the filling tube and not plug the tube and blow up your tank.

Sorry for your damage but it looks like you got things back in place. Check camping world or Amazon the filling valves are way less expensive than all that grief. Have a safe trip

Old 10-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #3

Mr Havercamp had the same problem. Here's the thread:

water tanks falling out

I don't know why his pics are missing, though. If you PM him, he can probably email you his pics and his fix.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:36 PM   #4

This is a common issue with most campers and not really caused by overloading tanks. I had a tank that was only 1/2 full fall off on me.

The solution is to reinforce the brackets with perpendicular brackets that keep everything in place and prevent the tanks from falling thru.

Every camper I've purchased since my tank fell off has had the tanks brackets modified. Its no big deal, better to fix it before it falls out, much easier.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:33 PM   #5

We made it to the campground ok. Just got the kids settled in. The brackets seem to be holding for now. I read through that other thread, and it sounds like i may as well not even waste my time going through the dealer for a fix. Im just going to plan on fabricating something in spring before our first trip. I think i have enough 2"x1/4" angle iron laying around from a untility trailer i built earlier this year.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #6

I noticed I have bent tank supports as well. Did not know it is a common problem. Will have to get after a fix next spring.

Looking it over it appeared to me the slotted attachment of the support bars was inadequate as the bar can bend and potentially pull out of the slot? Curious how to attach the stronger angle iron. Assuming no welding is required, as with the plastic tank so close that would not work too well.

Any suggestions appreciated. I shot Mr Havercamp a PM to see if he can repost his pictures in the other thread, or maybe he will see this one.

Thanks for posting. This really needs a reliable fix.

Stu
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #7

I'm not denying for a second that this happened exactly as you described. However, I will say that I have overfilled my fresh water tank many, many times. Not on purpose of course. But I have gotten side tracked and didn't realize it until I discovered water running out the overflow like crazy. That has not happened to my tank. I have a 2004 Georgetown Motorhome. Maybe that's the difference. I don't really know. Just seems like something else was the problem...like tank supports or something. Maybe I'm just on borrowed time. I will certainly keep a closer eye on it in the future. Sorry this happened to you.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HATCHET19 View Post
I'm not denying for a second that this happened exactly as you described. However, I will say that I have overfilled my fresh water tank many, many times. Not on purpose of course. But I have gotten side tracked and didn't realize it until I discovered water running out the overflow like crazy. That has not happened to my tank. I have a 2004 Georgetown Motorhome. Maybe that's the difference. I don't really know. Just seems like something else was the problem...like tank supports or something. Maybe I'm just on borrowed time. I will certainly keep a closer eye on it in the future. Sorry this happened to you.
You have a motor home. The OP has a hybrid trailer. Totally different vehicles. The issue at this point seems to be limited to the Roo/Shamrock hybrids, although my Mini Lite isn't too much better.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #9

Lots of ways to repair this issue. I've used metal straps that I screwed with self tapping sheet metal screws. I've also used angle iron and also used self tapping sheet metal screws to create a lattice layout of steel to keep the tank in and prevent the tank brackets from spreading.

On other campers, I've used ratchet straps that I ran under the tank to do the same...additional support to prevent tank from falling out and keep tank brackets together. On my 5th wheel,I think I used solid wood strips that I glued to the steel brackets and used one short self tapping screw to keep it in place till the polyurethane glue cured. It is dry under the camper and I'm not worried about the wood rot, if I was then I would be more worried about the wood floor.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #10

Bad bracket

Hi,

This is not unique to just light weight trailers. Although it happened to my Rockwood Ultralight it also happened to my buddies XLR toy hauler. Best fix is adding 2x2 angle iron as mentioned above.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank