Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #1
Summer2Go

Hey you National and state park campers! What do you do with 20 amp service?

My Roo has 30 amp service and the power cords & surge protector for it. How do I use the power for 20 amp? They have 50 amp there but not so many. I thought people adapted for 50 amp, but my surge protector is 30 amp. Do I just not use it?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Get a 20 amp male to 30 amp female adapter.

Then you manage your power.

Do a web search for "rv appliance amp chart" and print or save it on your phone. Then add up the amps of your stuff. You have 20 to use in theory. Some trial and error is involved. Run what you can on gas and save those amps, fridge and water heater.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #3
Summer2Go

I have to find an adapter quick. I don't remember seeing one before. Do you know where to look?

Old 07-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
I have to find an adapter quick. I don't remember seeing one before. Do you know where to look?

walmart, lowes, menards, home depot...one of them will have it.

Pass And Seymour 30 amp Travel Trailer Electrical Adapter (1264) - Trailer Adapters - Ace Hardware
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
Summer2Go

I have a bunch of old adapters I used to use at home with extension cords. Is a household extension cord 20 amp, maybe?

Old 07-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Summer2Go

They're 15 amp cords, if it fits the plug, is it ok to use in the 20amp park?

Old 07-15-2016, 06:31 PM   #7
Summer2Go

Don't have an Ace anywhere near. I could ask at my hardware around the corner though. Thanks!

Old 07-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
My Roo has 30 amp service and the power cords & surge protector for it. How do I use the power for 20 amp? They have 50 amp there but not so many. I thought people adapted for 50 amp, but my surge protector is 30 amp. Do I just not use it?
As stated...30 to 15 adapter from Wal Mart for a few bucks. You said they have a few 50A (most places I've been to that have 50 also have a 30 on the same pedestal). You CAN go from 30 to 50..your trailer breaker will be 30A so you won't overload it but, like I said, if you have access to a 50, you probably have access to a 30. The adapter will work with your surge protector without issue if you ever have to go that route.

In any case, I'd go invest in a heavy duty extension cord in case you do have to run on 15A. Smaller gauge will possibly heat up a little more than you'd like.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
Summer2Go

I have that to plug in my driveway. I'm trying to make sure I can use 20 amp. I have a heavyier outdoor extension, 13 amp, and the camper adapter that goes from 30 amp to the extension cord. Can I just plug that into the pedestal, the plug into that or is 20 amp a bigger plug?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #10

If at all possible get a 50 amp male to 30 amp female adapter if 50 amp service is available, otherwise you need a heavy duty 20 amp 12 gauge extension cord
Attached Images

Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #11

Wal mart has them
Old 07-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #12
Site Team

X2 on the 50A to 30A adapter. You will run into this situation again for sure. Just because 50A is available, you will be limited to 30A by the breaker in the RV.
The service station where you bought your fuel had a 3000 gal fuel tank but your TV stopped taking fuel when it was full.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #13

Quote:
I have that to plug in my driveway. I'm trying to make sure I can use 20 amp. I have a heavyier outdoor extension, 13 amp, and the camper adapter that goes from 30 amp to the extension cord. Can I just plug that into the pedestal, the plug into that or is 20 amp a bigger plug?
Yes, the 20A pedestals will handle the 15A plugs. No additional adapter needed if you've already got one to take your 30A down to a household extension cord. The plug will be the same. Again, your weak link will be that section of cord that is less than 20A and possibly the adapter, depending on the quality. Be careful what you run. For instance, my AC units show about 12-14A continuous when running hard. A smaller gauge cord will increase voltage loss and increase amp draw, which makes heat. Your AC alone could be drawing nearly 20A with an extension cord and, while the breakers will take it, that 13A cord might not.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #14

At home I only have 15 amp service outside so I use a 50amp to 30 amp adaptor, and a 30 amp to a 15/20, all are which are available at pretty much all RV supply stores. Also, some campgrounds that have only 15/20 amp service sell the adaptors as well. Just remember to keep your usage down. My AC won't run on 15amp service, and if you run a coffee maker and microwave at the same time you may blow s breaker. And make sure any extensions you use are appropriate for the amperage, or you may blow more than a breaker, and that wouldn't be fun.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #15

Talking No power

On our trip to Alaska we stayed in many campgrounds that had no power what so ever. We learned to not have any lights on that we did not need. We got along just fine on battery power.....we do have 2 batteries so that helped. A good assortment of adapters is a must if you plan on traveling ......
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #16

You can plug a 15 amp cord into a 20 amp receptacle but not the reverse. I'd just get a
30 amp (F) to 15 amp (M) adapter and plug it into the 20 amp receptacle at the park.
Just watch what you're using at any given time and use propane where possible. The worst that can happen is you'll keep tripping the breaker if your load is too high.
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #17
65 days camping in '11

I use a 15M to 30F adapter. Doesn't need to be a 20M which would prohibit use on a 15 amp circuit. Plug in shore power cable, plus shore power extension if needed for distance. If your shore power cables are 50amp then add a 30M to 50F adapter to the 15M to 30F adapter. You oughta already have the 30-50 and shore power extension. Nothing is different from the 30amp (or 50amp) on the adapter to the RV. Can't run A/C and fridge at same time. Run fridge on propane.
kbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:16 AM   #18
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:

If 30 amp service isn't available, then, yes, you can use the same stuff you use in your driveway.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #19

Quote:

I see you are in New Jersey - and I am curious - where are you going that does not have 30 amp service?

The state parks I have been to so far (Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York and South Carolina) has had at least 30 amp at the electric sites ....I do have a 50 amp adapter, have had it for 6 years and have never used it as 50 amp power poles also have 30 and 20 amp service at them. I use a 20 amp adapter at the house, but I am not running any appliances - it is only to power up the battery and lights if I need them.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
I see you are in New Jersey - and I am curious - where are you going that does not have 30 amp service?

The state parks I have been to so far (Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York and South Carolina) has had at least 30 amp at the electric sites ....I do have a 50 amp adapter, have had it for 6 years and have never used it as 50 amp power poles also have 30 and 20 amp service at them. I use a 20 amp adapter at the house, but I am not running any appliances - it is only to power up the battery and lights if I need them.

There is at least one PA state park who changed the service amperage in their information, brochures, and on the reservation sites. Even though installed as 30 amp with 30 amp receptacles under the codes at the time, they now show sites as 20 amp. The systems for the most part now get grossly overloaded on busy weekends. When a lot were put in back in the 70's/80's AC was a luxury few had, microwaves did not exist(at least for the average persons use at home let alone in an RV), residential refrigerators were in residences etc.

Now people reserve a site which was originally wired as a 30 amp service to 40 year ago specs and codes, they dogbone their 50amp service and fire up both AC's and the residential fridge, and when they try and nuke the Hamburger Helper one of the AC units implodes and the main power cord melts due to low voltage and too much load. Then they expect the DCNR to pay for it. Now they list the sites as 20 amp. Not only does it give them some more ammunition when someone comes after them to pay for their stupidity, but when someone complains they can't use their dishwasher, clothes dryer, 2 AC's, fridge, and toaster all at the same time and they want a refund, they can be told the site was advertised as 20 amp so you should of taken that into account before booking it.

The Superintendent is pushing for funds from the powers that be to upgrade but with control changing every few years thats not easy. I told him I thought the best upgrade would be just ripping out all the pedestals and disconnecting it all. The park campgrounds were built to be just that, campgrounds and not RV resorts.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, service