Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #1

Hitch reviews

Good evening. Has anyone out there ever used a Hensley Hitch or the Andersen no sway hitch systems? Doing a little research on them and just wondering if anyone has any feedback on either one. The Hensley is pricy but the other is a little more manageable as far as price. Thanks in return.
Sappy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #2

Don't know anything about those two... I use a Husky Centerline. No sway and extreme durable quality. Reasonably priced.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

We use a Husky Centerline, too. Just make sure that whatever system you select allows backing up without unhooking. We lucked out, as it never occurred to us that it could be an issue.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
Site Team

If you got the money, it's wildly agreed that the Hensley or ProPride are the best made.
BUT not necessary if you have a appropriately spec'd tow vehicle.
Many buy those two because they have a marginal tow vehicle and don't want to upgrade.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #5

If you are pulling the pop-up that you have in your profile, the Hensley designs are probably over-kill. However, I have read of one that was badly loaded causing a flat spin hooked up to a Ford Ranger. So, yes, they are the most stable and may save you from a mistake.

If you are planning on upgrading to larger TT's in the future, I would recommend the Pro-Pride. The stinger is adjustable, so moving the hitch to a new trailer or adjusting to a new TV is a matter of removing a few bolts and adjusting for correct drop, then figuring out how much WD you need. On various forums, there are stories of people using these hitches for many years with multiple trailers.

FWIW, I just finished reading some posts on the Airstream forum of 3/4 and 1 ton people who use the Hensley designs. They like the stability even though they use little WD. So the marginal TV argument is a bit over the top.

Not commonly recognized, the Hensley design does not rely on WD pressure to enable anti-sway as some of the tow ball hitches do.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:30 AM   #6

Sappy85...
what are you towing and what vehicle do you use to tow it with?

This info will help people make a reccomendation.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:52 AM   #7
Site Team

i believe the OP has a Traverse and is looking at getting a Tahoe.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:10 AM   #8

I used a Hensley over 10 years on my last trailer. It’s a great hitch but does take getting use to hooking up. And very expensive. One thing to consider if you have to bring in for service, many dealers use a forklift and I have had to remove the Hensley so they could move around which can be a chore.

I really liked it because I welded a big storage rack on the back of the TT and could not have safety towed because of the weight without the Hensley.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:27 AM   #9

I have an eaz-lift recurve R3. It’s my first weight distribution hitch with sway control and it seems to work fine. I’m pulling a 2018 Rockwood Roo 233s with a Dodge Ram that can tow 8000 lbs. so far I’ve only towed it home from the dealer about 120 miles and to the place I’m storing it at.
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Sappy85...

what are you towing and what vehicle do you use to tow it with?

This info will help people make a reccomendation.

I currently have a 2016 chevy tahoe and a Shamrock 233S. My profile needs to be updated
Old 11-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #11

I love that Anderson hitch. It is easy to use and LIGHT to carry. You can back up with it but I usually take it off when I have the camper aligned with the truck, sometimes getting the triangle plate straight can be a pain.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock04 View Post
I love that Anderson hitch. It is easy to use and LIGHT to carry. You can back up with it but I usually take it off when I have the camper aligned with the truck, sometimes getting the triangle plate straight can be a pain.

How does it do as far as sway control?
Old 11-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #13

I would have to say it works really well, I don't recall any white knuckle moments over the last two years. I try to travel around 65-70 MPH but have pushed it past that to pass or just cruising along and have never had any sway issues. I only camp in the North East and have never travelled in the Midwest, I hear it gets pretty windy out that way.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:39 PM   #14

I was just in your shoes. I had been wanting a hitch that had a more simple hitch / un-hitch process for years and thought the Anderson was going to be mine once I was ready to pull the trigger. I had a Husky spring bars w/ chains and an anti-sway bar type hitch setup.
Well go back 2 weeks from now and I was ready, I was certain it was going to be a Pro-Pride or an Anderson. After all my research into those 2, I ended up with an Equal-i-zer hitch which wasn't even on my radar to begin with.
We just got back from Petit Jean SP in Arkansas about 350 miles one way, we had mountains, high winds & lots of freeway time and I am very happy with it.
I'll be curious what you decide on and how you like it.
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Pop-Up (2010-2015)
CampTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #15

I have an Anderson and an Equal-i-zer for our 23IKSS. I love the Anderson. A lot...

I use the Anderson when towing with my truck (3/4 ton Dodge). The sway control provided by the Anderson cannot be beat (until you buy a 5er). It is also dead silent while towing.

Unfortunately, the Anderson doesn’t redistribute a lot of weight to the front t.v. axle. We bought the Equal-i-zer for use when towing with my wife’s truck (1/2 ton GMC). It is a fantastic, if not a little noisy, at weight distribution and sway control.
bpa556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #16

2X on the Equalizer..... I'm towing right at the capacity of my Honda Ridgeline and other then when a truck passes me close, I hardly know the trailer is back there... No sway what so ever, once you have the ball adjusted to the right height no remembering to count chain links to make sure it's adjusted correctly again and you don't have to remove the sway control when backing up...

Very pleased with the quality and the heavy duty construction of the components as well...

One thing I would highly recommend if you don't already have is an electric tongue jack... I makes it a lot easier to get the hitch up high enough to get the bars on to the trailer when hitching and unhitching your trailer.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #17
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

I had an email from Hensley about a week ago and they had them on year end clearance for almost half price
jaymemiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch