Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Broken Toe

Hmmm, how'd ya explain this?

Short backstory: A buddy and myself each ordered a 21ssl roo from RVW in late January. We ordered them on the same phone call, and they are identical in every respect (colors, options, etc). The price was the same down to the penny. Both were build to order units

You would think that Forest River would schedule things in such a way that they would roll down the assembly line back to back. Right? Nope! My buddy got his a week and a half ago. Mine is in at RVW, but I have to wait till next sat for delivery.

I got to looking at the VINs and our serial numbers are 297 unit apart, but then I notice our 'year' digit isnt the same. it turns out my buddies is a 2012 model and mine is a 2013! And I technically even ordered mine first! Even though it was the same phone call, I did all my stuff first, then handed the phone over to my freind to order his.

The only diff that I can see in our dealings is that my buddy had to finance his (via RVW) and I'm paying cash. I think there was a window to take delivery with him before the loan papers would expire.

His was made on Feb 29th (leap day). I dont know the date of mine yet. It will be REAAAAL intersting to see these units side by side to see if there is any noticable differences.

Tim
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I need to preface this by saying I have never been to the factory. My information is from discussions with my so called "dealer" prior to and after my purchase.

The way I understand how this works is the "VIN" comes with the pre-assembled frame. So depending on which stack of frames your rig gets pulled from, the VIN on two campers being built next to each other in the assembly area could have VIN numbers several serial numbers apart.

Also, I understand, that each camper is built by a "team" not on an assembly line like cars. There are actually videos on YouTube. Here are some still photos of a camper being built. Look in the background and you will see other campers being built.

Additionally, the model year can change while the rigs are on the floor being built and one that is about to be shipped, and the one next to it can be two different model years. How that happens is most likely a production decision based on when the previous model year parts run out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0910091059.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	12396   Click image for larger version

Name:	0910091059a.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	12397  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That is interesting Cowracer. Let us know how it turns out for you and your friend.

Congratulations on your new trailers. Just in time for camping season!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

Your new trailer is one year newer than your friends new trailer. If it were my friend I would tease him about it without mercy.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #5

If I was your buddy i'd be asking for a lower price - while both your trailers are new there will be a price difference at trade in as his is a year "older" than yours.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Your new trailer is one year newer than your friends new trailer. If it were my friend I would tease him about it without mercy.

Rest assured, sir, I will.

But then again, he will tease me about 'copying' him. We already have identical motorcycles, black Harley Street Glides (09 on mine, 07 on his), near identical trucks (2002 fords, mine is an excursion, his is a f250), we both own 1987 suzuki Samurai's and our wives could pass for sisters.

He always gives me crap about copying him. He says he keeps expecting me to trade in my Australian Shepards for Black labs like his...

What part of Jeffco are you in? I'm in Imperial, he lives in Barnhart

Tim
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
On the other hand, when the 2013 is 4 years old, the 2012 will only be 1 year old! Who gets to tease who now!!??
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #8

Wow EdJunior, took me a few to understand that one
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Now a "Top Member"

Heh heh!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #10

I have been to the factory for a tour and HERK is not totally correct. At least not with the factory that I toured. The factory where I went they only make Flagstaff/Rockwood TT and 5ers that areWindjammers, V-Lites and Classic Super Lites and Signature Ultra Lites.beginning to mid March.

The model year switches over around the beginning to Mid March . I did our Factory tour on March 19 and all the TT going through were 2013's. They stamp the trailer with VIN and Model number in the Factory.

It is on an assembly line that has stations. A crew stays on their station repeating what they do over and over. A TT or 5er is built in 1 day with a total of about 30 units made each day, hence why there is such a difference in your VIN numbers. Yours was probably built a month later than your friends.

While I was at the factory the only change with the 2013 that I saw was the wheel rims. The major changes for the year take place in August which would include additional floor plans, interior colors, and the like.

Not sure if this helps or not but it is what I experienced at the factory.

Here is a forum on this topic with more pictures at the factory.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-in-17290.html
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrackney View Post
I have been to the factory for a tour and HERK is not totally correct.
I DID preface my post that it was a guess and what info I had I got from my dufus dealer.

Why am I not surprised it was totally bogus?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #12

No problem Herk. I did not mean to "come off" in a bad way. I always enjoy your insight.

Herk, you would love the tour!!! Try and set one up someday. Enjoy the camping season all.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
Wow EdJunior, took me a few to understand that one
That was driving me nuts too and then I finally got it...Leap Year.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
Now a "Top Member"

Heh heh!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 04-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #15

I worked at the Fleetwood factory years ago building motorhomes, it was assembly line style, where you basically did the same function on all models, and we would run model lines for 1 day to a week depending on orders, pumping out 18 complete coaches a day. Some weeks we would build 1 model for a day or two, switch to a different model for 1 day and then back to other model, so it can really vary.
Rescue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
I worked at the Fleetwood factory years ago building motorhomes, it was assembly line style, where you basically did the same function on all models, and we would run model lines for 1 day to a week depending on orders, pumping out 18 complete coaches a day. Some weeks we would build 1 model for a day or two, switch to a different model for 1 day and then back to other model, so it can really vary.
I see where I have my "mind picture" all wrong.

When I picture an assembly line I picture the old Ford assembly line with the car body moving down a belt and a worker putting on two lug nuts on every car.

I am thinking from your comments that the frames do not move, but the worker goes from camper to camper putting lug nuts on all campers on the floor, one after the other.

The "lug nut guy" gets pretty good at putting on lug nuts. I know it is a simplistic example, and I am sure the cabinet carpenters are very good at what they do. I just can't picture every cabinet being custom built at each camper. Seems a very inefficient way of making a camper.

I most likely need to plan a camping trip out that way to spend some time at the plant. <sigh>
Old 04-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #17

Herk,

They do actually move the TT or 5er. Not using a belt but a wheel roller system where the trailer wheels are on a metal bracket with wheels that move it sideways. Its a real cool system to watch. They actually have a cabinet making station behind the TT. They make the cabinet and then carry it to the trailer to install it. They put in the base cabinets before the sidewalls go up.

Here is a link to some pics from a factory tour. You can see how the trailers are lined up. They all move to the left every 10-15 minutes. In some of the pics you can see the track that the wheels ride on. Enjoy the pics its a great way to see the process, just through pics.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-in-17262.html