Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #1

Holding tanks in cold weater camping

Just picked up my new 23IKSS last weekend and wanted to get it out one time before going into storage and have a trip planned a few days before Thanksgiving. Daytime will be in the 40's and nighttime temps in the mid to upper 20's.

I will not be using city water and using the on board thank. I am thinking that the holding tanks should be OK if not totally full. The underside is not enclosed and no tank heaters. Let me know if I will be good.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #2

I think you will be ok with the tanks unless the 20s are the majority of the day. Any way you could use showerhouse and restrooms instead of your plumbing? Just don't let the water filter freeze. If the housing freezes , it could split leading to wet feet .
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #3

We have winterized ours, but have a trip thanksgiving weekend, will carry water jugs, using the bathroom as needed, and flush the tanks and refill the traps with AF when finished
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archicamper View Post
Just picked up my new 23IKSS last weekend and wanted to get it out one time before going into storage and have a trip planned a few days before Thanksgiving. Daytime will be in the 40's and nighttime temps in the mid to upper 20's.

I will not be using city water and using the on board thank. I am thinking that the holding tanks should be OK if not totally full. The underside is not enclosed and no tank heaters. Let me know if I will be good.

Thanks
You should be okay more then likely it will drop below 32 for 6 hrs or so. As long as the temp gets above 32 during the day. Leave a bucket outside with water in it and check in the morning should give you an idea... I think it's Acc weather that will give you the hour by hour temps for the day.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #5

I also had a crazy idea last night. Costco sells hand warmers in bulk that I could tape to the freshwater tank the first night. The weather will be warmer the next couple of days and there will be less water in the tank. If I use a bunch of these before I go to bed, I would think the tank would stay warm enough. I can also add some antifreeze to the black and gray tanks to be safe.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
I also had a crazy idea last night. Costco sells hand warmers in bulk that I could tape to the freshwater tank the first night. The weather will be warmer the next couple of days and there will be less water in the tank. If I use a bunch of these before I go to bed, I would think the tank would stay warm enough. I can also add some antifreeze to the black and gray tanks to be safe.
You might be better to just wrap it with a sleeping bag...

Old 11-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You might be better to just wrap it with a sleeping bag...
Then I would have to sleep with only a sheet! Let the tank freeze.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Then I would have to sleep with only a sheet! Let the tank freeze.
Or just did a snow cave.....

Old 11-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #9

A cup of rock salt washed down the drain works well. We have camped in 0 degree weather and they have never frozen.
bogey60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #10

Use mine in freezing weather a lot. Dump a jug of anti freeze down the drains and the toilet. If anything at worst the may get a bit slushy but wont freeze solid. Tank heaters are ok but the water in the drain plumbing (before the slide valve ) can freeze solid. Had it happen before I went to anti freeze in the tanks. Happy Snowmobiling !!!!
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:

Thanks
No city water available? If there is use it and just let the sinks drip.

If you have sewerage leave the gray tank valves open. Close the black tank valve, not likely to freeze unless both day and night remain below 32 degrees. Gray tank not likely to freeze either if you don't have sewerage. It will take more than 6 to 8 hours for tanks to freeze.

I would be more concerned with your water pipes than your tanks. Leave your faucets drip if you can/

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #12

I'm from the South, but spent a Winter in an RV in Kansas City. Many surprises when weather goes below 25, but main ones:
1) frozen condensate in the door lock can freeze the door mechanism and lock you inside, or outside, (there's a keylock antifreeze for that),
2) the water hose will break when unrolled,
3) the sewer hose will also crack, and there's some excitement at the dump station,
4) the tank valves will freeze before the tank freezes, and if you try to tug them open, the handles will break off,
5) interior water supply lines routed against the wall will freeze before the tanks,
6) excellent opportunity to locate the aluminum studs because condensate will form at each location.. If you don't want that, take a dehumidifier with you.
7) you will use lots of propane. Below freezing electric heaters will not remedy the cold on 30 amps.

You likely will not have any of these problems if you have some time above freezing each day, BUT, beware of the hose problems because they may still be cold when used.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey60 View Post
A cup of rock salt washed down the drain works well. We have camped in 0 degree weather and they have never frozen.
A 20% salt water solution will freeze at about 2 degrees. Just say'in.

2015 Wildcat Maxx T28RKX
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #14

Thanks, all very good solutions and I'm sure we will use some combination of these for the black and gray tanks. My main concern is the freshwater tank. The temp the first night is predicted to be 20 degrees. This will be the coldest night and when the tank will be the most full. It will be warmer the rest of the days we will be there and always at least in the 40's during the day. I would prefer not to use jugs of water but will do if necessary. I guess I fill the tank after the first night.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks, all very good solutions and I'm sure we will use some combination of these for the black and gray tanks. My main concern is the freshwater tank. The temp the first night is predicted to be 20 degrees. This will be the coldest night and when the tank will be the most full. It will be warmer the rest of the days we will be there and always at least in the 40's during the day. I would prefer not to use jugs of water but will do if necessary. I guess I fill the tank after the first night.
Just a thought, could you purchase one of the 12 volt heat pads they install at the factory? If not get a 3 foot heat tape and glue or duct tape it to the bottom of the fw tank. That will only help if you have 110 vac available. I can't remember if you said you will power or not.

I really don't think your fw tank will freeze if your day time temps are above freezing during the day unless the water level is very low.

Jim
Old 11-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #16

Quote:

Thanks

I camped in 20 degree weather just put a few gallons in fresh tank keep heat at 45 degrees will help keep tanks above freezing, I also disconnect water lines outside I had one hose free on me never doing that again. I am going to PA next weekend for Thanksgiving and will keep fresh water in my tanks even though I have the heating pads, I disconnect water lines at night bc it will be in mid 20's to low 30's

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #17

Here is my hairbrain idea No.2: Make a box out of Styrofoam the size of my fresh water tank. I should be able to do this with 1 sheet. Place a ceramic heater in the box under the camper and run an extension cord to the power pole. I would think that would be more than adequate for keeping the water tank warm.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #18

What I do: I use a Farm Innovators Model TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet, available via AMAZON - $13, to control an 100w incandescent bulb in a work light cage. Turns on at 35, off at 45. Put it in the compartment with the water tank. Have been doing that for years with no problem, except having to check the bulb for burnout. Fresh bulb each winter works.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
I camped in 20 degree weather just put a few gallons in fresh tank keep heat at 45 degrees will help keep tanks above freezing, I also disconnect water lines outside I had one hose free on me never doing that again. I am going to PA next weekend for Thanksgiving and will keep fresh water in my tanks even though I have the heating pads, I disconnect water lines at night bc it will be in mid 20's to low 30's

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Do you have an outside shower? I put a small electric heater in my storage area and insulated the area where my fw pump and water lines are. Couldn't protect the os shower lines though. So added two shut off valves so I can now shut them off and drain them. No more worry.

If it is going to 20 or lower leve your faucets drip and the lines shouldn't freeze.

Jim
Old 11-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberNail View Post
What I do: I use a Farm Innovators Model TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet, available via AMAZON - $13, to control an 100w incandescent bulb in a work light cage. Turns on at 35, off at 45. Put it in the compartment with the water tank. Have been doing that for years with no problem, except having to check the bulb for burnout. Fresh bulb each winter works.
Put a 3 foot heap tape on the tank and spray on Styrofoam insulation. That way your box won't blow away while driving down the road.

Jim

Tags
camping, tank