Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #1

Hooking up my colemen roadtrip grill to my quick connect on my roo

I need to find a way to bypass the regulator on the grill when using the quick connect. There is no flames or small flames on the grill when the gas runs through both regulators. I purchased the line from Camping World and it attached to the trailer nicely I just need to get higher pressure to the Coleman Grill. Any ideas?
tmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If the Coleman is only to be used for camping you could probably remove it's regulator and re-pipe it to a quick-connect fitting.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller View Post
I need to find a way to bypass the regulator on the grill when using the quick connect. There is no flames or small flames on the grill when the gas runs through both regulators. I purchased the line from Camping World and it attached to the trailer nicely I just need to get higher pressure to the Coleman Grill. Any ideas?
Spent more time than I care to admit trying to do this. I found a thread on this forum with pictures that finally showed me how to do it. The problem is the coleman regulator uses a custom connection to the grill. If you don't remove the coleman regulator, you don't have enough pressure to cook.

That thread showed how to dis-assemble the coleman regulator. The threaded piece that connects to the grill will unscrew from the rest of the regulator. Be careful when you take it apart, as there is a spring and a float in there that will fall out if you aren't careful (found out the hard way). Then you can find the appropriate NPT fittings to connect the hose from the trailer to the piece you removed from the regulator.

What I did was bought a new regulator (about $30) to take apart, and kept my old one so I can still use the grill on bottles for tailgating. And of course, the obvious safety concern - without that Coleman regulator you want to be sure the grill is only connected to a low pressure feed.

I have always liked this grill, and now its even better with it connected to the tt instead of worrying about cylinders.
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #4

I searched hi and lo for an adapter for the Roadtrip grill and could not find one. Your best bet would be to take the regulator that connects to the back/side of your Coleman grill to a LP dealer, not RV dealer, to try to find a way to adapt it. The Roadtrip has a screw on needle connection that would make it hard to adapt to. I suggested to another member that he may be able to adapt something on the tube by removing the regulator. Never heard back if he figured anything out.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #5

Beat me to it KMP

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #6

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-24016-2.html

Post #12 has the pictures.
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
If the Coleman is only to be used for camping you could probably remove it's regulator and re-pipe it to a quick-connect fitting.

Dave
Dave,
I know the 1/2 psi RV propane line will operate the Coleman grill without the regulator attached. But I'm having trouble finding a bushing to adapt the Coleman connector to a hose. I already have the RV end quick-connector. It's a 3/16 od pipe with fine straight threads bushing I need.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote