Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #1

Hopefully getting a Roo 21ss

My wife, and two kids and I have an old Minnie Winnie class C. It has been a great little unit for us, but now the kids are getting older and no longer willing to share the convertible couch in the back to sleep on.

Since we are not willing to give up the dinette to a third bed we started looking around.

We are limited by our parking space. We are not willing to pay for storage at this point, partially because of the expense, but partially because we will use it way less if we do that. Out of sight, out of mind type deal.

Originally I was thinking a PUP, I figured we could take it just about anywhere, and I wouldn't even feel it behind my TV. After researching those a bit, they dont really fit our needs for this point in time. If we are going to pay any real amount of money, it needs to at least have a fully private restroom. That being said, I love the idea of the tent fabric being thrown into the mix. I have been camping my whole life, mostly back-country backpacking. I had never even been in an RV until I got married and had our first kid. The idea of having a lot of the conveniences of an RV mixed with some of the tent like experiences seems like a good way to start warming the family up to the idea of the back country. hah, it may take me several years, but I am determined for that to happen.

We are not interested in another class c at this point, as I hated getting into camp, setting up, getting the unit level, etc, etc. Then someone wants something from the store, or there is a trailhead that is too far to walk to. I have always been envious of those that either had a TV that they could use, or towed behind some sort of little vehicle.

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I stumbled across the hybrid models. These seemed like they had promise. We wend and checked out some jayco models, and to be honest, if they had one that met my size requirements, I probably would have bought that day. But they didnt. At least not that we liked. Once they get under like 24.5 feet, they do not have slides.

So, back to the drawing board. Then I found the roo. Seems like it has everything we want as far as upgraded interior and features (over our old class c), a small parked foot print (22' 10" from bumper to hitch), plenty of room with the slide open for hanging out, and two queen beds that open up and dont invade the living space. The kids are ok to share a queen, so I dont even have to use the HAB for them.

I have been reading this forum, and a couple others about these units. Certainly there are some people having some issues. It is sad that this seems to be an industry with so many issues no matter the brand you go with, and that we are all becoming conditioned to accept that. I am no different, as I am figuring that I will purchase this, and I am expecting issues. For 20K+, one would hope for a flawless experience (I know, that is not reality, that is actually my whole point).

Anyway, if we do pull the trigger (pretty sure we will) I am hoping that I don't get a lemon, and that any issues I do have are quickly over come. We are all pretty excited about it, and cant wait to start camping with it.

I have already started making a wish list of items based on threads I have read here, as well as areas that I need to pay attention to with the unit itself.

This seems like a great forum, people seem very helpful and nice for the most part. I am looking forward to being able to contribute to the group. Thanks to everyone who have already made this place a great source of information.
scbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I am on my second hybrid and I got to say I love them and my family feels the same.

We spent a lot of time out camping this past summer with our new Shamrock (same as a Roo).
We basically had minimal problems although I am a retired auto technician so I really don't have any trouble fixing these.

If you are handy around the house using this form is a great way to get your camper set up and repaired easily.

I really like having use of the camper while traveling using the bathroom and kitchen sink and table.

Not to mention as you said you can set the hybrid up and take your TV and drive anywhere you want to. It is great to be able to move around after you set up at the campground we actually thought about a class C but my wife didn't want to tow the car.

Let us know how you make out when you find your rig and be sure to post some pics for us good luck on your search.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the World of Hybrids, from a former NorCal resident.
Your biggest challenge will be finding a fair price on the West Coast.
We finally gave up dealing with the 3 NorCal Roo dealers and drove to Chicago and back, to get our new 23SS. We saved over $4000, even after trip costs. Just made a camping trip out of the return leg.
By the way, did a lot of camping and surfing in the SC area, New Brighton being our favorite.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

Thanks folks.

Mainframe, I am relatively handy, so I figure I can cover the bulk of things that could go wrong. Pulling a trailer will be new for me, but I figure I will get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Bikendan, I have noticed this. The local costs seem to be a bit more than what I am finding elsewhere on the interwebs. I am patient though, so perhaps that will work in my favor.

We love new brighton. It is great. We were lucky enough to get one of the premium spots once, if you ever get that chance it is worth the extra money. Right on the cliff overlooking the ocean, spots are double to triple the size of the others.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbee View Post
Thanks folks.

Mainframe, I am relatively handy, so I figure I can cover the bulk of things that could go wrong. Pulling a trailer will be new for me, but I figure I will get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Bikendan, I have noticed this. The local costs seem to be a bit more than what I am finding elsewhere on the interwebs. I am patient though, so perhaps that will work in my favor.

We love new brighton. It is great. We were lucky enough to get one of the premium spots once, if you ever get that chance it is worth the extra money. Right on the cliff overlooking the ocean, spots are double to triple the size of the others.
You'll never find anyone out West that will match Midwest prices.

I been on various Hybrid forums for over 10 years now and have communicated with every Westerner interested in one.
NEVER have anyone be successful. They've either ordered one from a Midwest dealer and picked it up/had it delivered or they just decide to pay through the nose.
Patience will only help looking for a used one but Hybrids are rarer out West.

Yep, we've camped at the premium sites which are worth the price.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 12-09-2016, 04:43 AM   #6

Quote:

I have been reading this forum, and a couple others about these units. Certainly there are some people having some issues. It is sad that this seems to be an industry with so many issues no matter the brand you go with, and that we are all becoming conditioned to accept that. I am no different, as I am figuring that I will purchase this, and I am expecting issues. For 20K+, one would hope for a flawless experience (I know, that is not reality, that is actually my whole point).

Anyway, if we do pull the trigger (pretty sure we will) I am hoping that I don't get a lemon, and that any issues I do have are quickly over come. We are all pretty excited about it, and cant wait to start camping with it.

Having gone down the "ordering from the factory road" with a Roo, I would suggest, if anyway possible, to attempt to find a dealer who has a couple or 3 "in stock". That way you can inspect multiple ones and possibly find the pick of the litter. I realize its not always possible to find a particular model in stock and price matters, which was the reason we ordered from the factory. I'm no newcomer so I knew the possibility was there to order and have a POS arrive, and it did. It was our 3rd new HTT and the others were purchased off the lot. Ordering was not a good experience, we ultimately rejected the first one sent, and ordered another. The second was night and day better but still had a few issues. The entire process took over 5 months, ordered the first 10-23-15 and purchased the second 4-29-16. We love the thing now after using it for an entire season and doing a fair amount of work to it. Good thing you're handy, you will need it. Good Luck.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:15 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum where you will find multitude of tips and tricks to make your hybrid experience wonderful and the way you want it.
We are on our third one, and don't see the day when we'll upgrade to something else than an hybrid.
We live in Maine, bought ours in Michigan (Too expensive here), and they delivered it at our door. It did cost $1800 to ship it , but after realizing it would have cost me three days of work, two nights in an hotel, gas and mileage....it was worth the price.
No major issues with our 23WS when arrived. and the small ones I fix myself.

I do have a question: What vehicle will you be using to pull the hybrid ?

Again.....Welcome
Dre
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #8

I'm actually selling a 2013 21SS. I'm not on the west coast though. It's a great deal and a great camper. Sofa actually makes a regular bed with an air mattress.

You can see it in the classifieds.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ky-122385.html
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Ordering was not a good experience, we ultimately rejected the first one sent, and ordered another. The second was night and day better but still had a few issues. The entire process took over 5 months, Good thing you're handy, you will need it. Good Luck.
Thanks for that advice. After hearing it, it seems rather obvious, but I didnt think of that before. There are a few places within a few hours that stock these units, but they get horrible reviews. I am going to go visit them this weekend to check things out myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
We live in Maine, bought ours in Michigan (Too expensive here), and they delivered it at our door. It did cost $1800 to ship it , but after realizing it would have cost me three days of work, two nights in an hotel, gas and mileage....it was worth the price.
No major issues with our 23WS when arrived. and the small ones I fix myself.

I do have a question: What vehicle will you be using to pull the hybrid ?

Again.....Welcome
Dre

Thanks Dre. I am considering the shipping option. This time of year it would be hard for me to make a long trip to go pick something up. Not impossible, but it would have to be one hell of a deal. I will just have to factor in all the costs like you said, PTO, Gas, etc.

My TV is an F150 ecoboost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post
I'm actually selling a 2013 21SS. I'm not on the west coast though. It's a great deal and a great camper. Sofa actually makes a regular bed with an air mattress.

You can see it in the classifieds.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ky-122385.html

Thanks Grege. I am hoping to find something local or delivered at this point. But if those don't work out I will for sure take a better look at yours. It looks well taken care of.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Grege. I am hoping to find something local or delivered at this point. But if those don't work out I will for sure take a better look at yours. It looks well taken care of.
It has been well taken care of.

No pressure but probably won't be available if you are looking around first. We have a travel trailer coming off the line in about a week and plan on picking it up after the holidays. If the Roo hasn't sold we plan on taking the hit and trading it in. We don't have space for 2 campers.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

Loved my 21SS for the 5 years before buying my C. I used to liken it to a PUP on steroids. I camped all 12 months and did a good job of winter weather protection to make that happen. I also repurposed most of the available interior storage area to increase same by a great deal. Other than my youngest son outgrowing the sofa bed too soon it never failed me. I lucked out as well since my floor model came with the lift kit and bigger wheels back then. Good luck with your search.
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #12

The 21ss is a nice floorplan with a huge open space. It was my favorite , but wifey saw a 23ikss and decided that was the one we wanted. We compromised. We have a 23ikss.
Good luck with your search and enjoy your new hybrid.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #13

We have a Roo 23SS and just finished our 9th season with it and we still LOVE it. We have had no real issues with it. Love the tent ends and not looking forward to the day we trade her in for a "couples trailer". We live in the Chicagoland area, and most likely purchased it from the same place bikendan did, great dealer with great prices- especially if you buy at the big show in February.
justjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #14

Hopefully Getting A Roo 21ss

What's a Roo? I really wish everyone would stop with all of the abbreviations. We're veterans and don't know half of them here on the forum.
ChipV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #15
rbq

That's a Rockwood Roo, a hybrid trailer with tent ends, but the body of a travel trailer. Every bit as nice with the same amenities, but with more floor space due to the beds not taking up the floor space.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #16

A rockwood roo hybrid camper. Here is mine, but there are several newer ones to pick from
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1481322629213.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	126420  

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipV View Post
What's a Roo? I really wish everyone would stop with all of the abbreviations. We're veterans and don't know half of them here on the forum.

Just like your R Pod 180...........Rockwood Roo is the brand and ours is model 23WS. It is not an abbreviation. it is an hybrid made by Forest River

Name:	DSCN0513.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	554.9 KB
ID:	126422

Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #18

Roo 21SS

Scbee, welcome to the forum! my DW and I bought our 21SS just about this time last December. The local dealer kept it over the rest of the winter and we picked it up in late March. We could not be happier with our choice! We started out camping in a large tent in 1979 and moved to a popup camper in 1989. Our two boys loved going camping in the popup. We sold it last December to the first couple to look at it.
We had two small issues with are Roo when we got it. We slept in it when we first got it, in the driveway to check things out. It was March, so we had the furnace going but it stopped working in the middle of the night. Called the dealer and they said bring it in and check it out right away. It was a bad high limit switch that failed and they and the part and replaced it and I was out of there in 90 minutes! The other was a kinked water line coming off the water pump and bending around a corner by the hot water tank. They fixed that in about 30 minutes. they cut the hose at the kink and put in a 90 degree elbow and a couple of clamps, problem fixed. We camped about 30 nights this past spring/summer/fall and had no problems!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02573.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	126431   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02574.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	126432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0157.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	466.5 KB
ID:	126433  
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipV View Post
Roo is NOT an abbreviation, it's a FR brand of hybrid TT.

If you'd have looked at where this thread is located, before posting, you would've seen that it was in the Roo sub-forum.

I do believe that there is a FAQ somewhere on the Forum, with a list of RV abbreviations.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #20
2016 Rockwood Roo 21dk

There is a dealer in salt lake city that has good prices and will deal if you push them. I live in Montana, but found the one I wanted at Hilmerson RV in Minnesota and had a guy tow it halfway. I haven't had any problems. Almost got the 21ss local in Billings, MT and got a good offer, but the salesperson blew the sale when being a jerk about test towing it. So I got a 21dk, and probably was a better choice.
jaymemiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo