Old 11-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #11

I have never winterized any of my trailers, all I do is make sure all the water is out of my lines, water heater and filter. Since we use ours years round it's not worth doing.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #12

I think I'm going with the "blow out the lines" routine when push comes to shove as well.

We just got back from a weekend trip over to Stephen F Austin State Park. Great weekend - just ends way too soon.

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #13

The weather is supposed to get down to 28 on Wednesday night here in Spring, Tx.

I guess I should figure out how best to blow out the lines. All I have as far as an air compressor is a small portable electric Kobalt 12-Volt power inflator from Lowes.

Shop Kobalt 12-Volt/120-Volt Dual Power Inflator at Lowes.com

I don't think that is going to allow me to blow out the lines - not enough power, correct?

Old 11-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #14

They recommend 30 psi to blow your lines out with, the speck said 40 lbs which still be in range. Really anywhere from 30 to 50 max psi would work. you will need a blow out plug also to adapt to your water line input. You get them almost anywhere, Napa will order you 1 in a day you will have it. I think it's $5.00 bucks or so.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Watch your outside shower and exterior water lines. The heater won't help that.
This is also true, I put a piece of silver insulation inside the door area. I also wrap my low point drains with the same stuff.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 11-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #16

Hi, gljurczyk. Thanks for the response.

I purchased a new anode rod and blow out plug last week, so I'm good to go there.

Since our "winter" is mild as compared to our northern neighbors, I would think I could get away with blowing out the lines, the hot water heater, etc. and then throwing some rv antifreeze in the traps and toilet. Thoughts?

We shouldn't have below 32 degrees for more than a few hours. Perhaps I am worrying too much about nothing.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStick View Post
Hi, gljurczyk. Thanks for the response.

I purchased a new anode rod and blow out plug last week, so I'm good to go there.

Since our "winter" is mild as compared to our northern neighbors, I would think I could get away with blowing out the lines, the hot water heater, etc. and then throwing some rv antifreeze in the traps and toilet. Thoughts?

We shouldn't have below 32 degrees for more than a few hours. Perhaps I am worrying too much about nothing.
If you are plugged in at home do not empty your hot water heater, If you think you might lose power put your water heater propane heater to on. The electric will keep that hot but the propane switch incase the power go's off it will kick in. Just close your by pass vales when you blow the lines out, then open them back up. add some AF to your traps. Where do you keep your trailer I'm assuming it is at your house? Also run a 1500 watt heater with your plumbing cabinets open. I do not even blow my lines out, but I have the arctic pack. I have tank heaters it got down to 22 here last night it is only 34 now I didn't have a problem. Putting AF in your gray and black is okay you don't need much. I also set my heater down all the way incase of an electrical problem. You will be alright it would take a couple of days of below freezing to really freeze things up. This is the way I do it. I also use mine and it would be a pain to do it all everytime. The way you said will work fine if you can not plug a space heater in... Oh ya, i forgot I also wrapped the water filter housing with the silver insulation and put a piece over my water pump which to me is really over kill. You get that thin silver insulation to wrap water heaters at lowes, home depot or ace, they all carry it. It's like R-19. do you have a underbelly or are your tanks exposed?
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 11-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
Engineer of Crazy Train

If I lived where you lived, I would just empty the tanks, blow out the lines (remembering your Low Point Drains and outside shower), and pour some pink stuff down the p-traps. When I do blow out my lines between early or late camping up north here, and we are expecting another freeze, I also open each side of my bypass to blow out any possible water that could be trapped between the valve and the Hot water heater. You can never be too safe with your plumbing and possible water damage from the result.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #19

We store the Roo at a storage lot, but I do have electric hookup if I want to run electricity.

I doubt we'd lose electricity, but I don't feel comfortable leaving the gas/electric water heater on while we aren't there. We also have tank warmers (the tanks are exposed), but again, I hesitate leaving anything on but the refrigerator for the most part. I don't know what others do at the storage facility - some are plugged in, most aren't. I don't know what they have running, if all they are doing is running the fridge and charging their battery.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #20

Should be 19 here about 7 am....36 out there now.....trailer 61 degrees....with polar package have enclosed bottom, has been okay at 21 degrees....but felt needed to cover the two low point drains / hot and cold...with some pipe insulation....other than that run 1500 watt heater on low and when get up to P in middle of night go out and run propane heater in trailer to makes sure basement stays warm....have 6 pack of diet drinks and 6 water bottles in back of truck to see if they start to freeze. If not do nothing, but do run hot water thru lines in middle of night when making trip to turn on propane heater - that way traps get hot water at least one and some goes into the tanks down below....like all other open cabinet doors for circulation of warmer air......just have to make thru tonight and then heading south in the morning....I hate hooking up in 19 degrees, but at least this will be the only time for a year.....good luck to all....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote