Old 07-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
Cool How big of an issue are leaks in newer units / current design?

I was really hoping my first posts would be to introduce myself as a new Shamrock hybrid owner, however yesterday after my PDI experience I felt compelled to come here and search for information & answers, you can read my previous post, but in short, while attempting to pick up a 2016 23IKSS, I discovered daylight in the top corners where the bunk-ends connect to the camper & performed a water hose test with the dealer & like I suspected, it leaked. Unfortunately I didn't feel comfortable it could be fixed in a way I felt would be permanent, so I decided to reject it & left without a camper (talk about a let down). So currently I am waiting on another 23IKSS to arrive from the factory for my inspection & hopefully acceptance.
Naturally this experience has led me to dig deeper into other Roo/Shamrock hybrid owner experiences yesterday evening and today, mainly within this forum. It is really concerning at the amount of water intrusion issues being experienced across many models of Roo/Shamrock hybrids. I get that people come here to look for help when they have issues & when people have positive / no incidences there is no reason to come here to report it.
I am left feeling torn about such a large purchase & feeling it is a "high-risk" design, camping is a major part of our lifestyle & the hybrid works great due to their size vs. interior space you get compared to a TT, also I don't want to pay to store it, so it will be parked in my driveway of which I have 25ft max to play with (talk about a small TT) so I really want this to work out.
Is some level of water intrusion to be expected with the hybrids for their entire life? Any other insight you wish to share?

TV: 2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L
2016 Shamrock 23IKSS Hybrid TT (2015 - ??)
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Pop-Up (2010-2015)
CampTx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
I've had two hybrids. First one a Wildwood for 10 years never a drop of water. Second one a one year old Roo. It's been dry as a bone. I'm so thankful! I'm in Wi so we have plenty of rain and snow. Good luck with the new trailer😊

syogerst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
I have had my 2015 IKSS just over a year now and have only experienced 2 Days of rain while camping and have not had any leaks. I guess I am one of the lucky ones that haven't had a water intrusion. Mine is completely sealed off. Only issues I had when I first bought it were my door was sticking and my window had to be replaced as there was a broken part. I had it all under the mfg warranty. Hope you can get one without any issues. I love my hybrid.
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by CampTx View Post
I get that people come here to look for help when they have issues & when people have positive / no incidences there is no reason to come here to report it.
This is exactly the case.

We've owned our Roo 23SS for nearly 9 years and NEVER had water intrusion issues,.
Have found a little rain water on a handful of occasions that were easily wiped up with a rag.
But I'm fastidious in checking and cleaning the seals, especially during rainy season.

It's been my experience after 11 years on numerous hybrid forums, that the large majority of hybrid owners don't have major issues with this.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
All of this is my opinion only. You are talking about tent ends and extra openings so yes, there is an increased chance of water intrusion over a hard side. I shared your concern and I literally had water pouring in from inadequate seasoning. I have been through multiple storms since then with no water coming in.

The bottom line is you are trading a slightly increased chance of exposure to the elements in exchange for the great asset that is increased exposure to the elements.

Your pdi experience is an exception, not the norm. That said, if you are really nervous about the increased chance of water or troubled by the fact that you may need to be a little more vigilant you might want to be wary. At the end of the day I am amazed how water tight they are given the amount of nature they let in.

If you like the advantages, stick with it and get one without daylight coming in.
RPod 183g
2013 F150 FX4 EB
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #6
21ss no water getting in. Just make sure you wet the tents down. and let them dry in the sun. one or two times and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 2015 21ss havein fun
Hicks43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:10 AM   #7
We've been through numerous heavy rains in our early 2015 23ikss. No water at all. Just be aware it could leak . It is after all a tent on wheels. We had pop ups for 15 years before buying the Shamrock and never had a problem with them either. I would suggest simply being vigilant. Check the tenting regularly, clean the seals, and be careful when folding beds in. A little maintenance goes a long way.
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #8
As you stated, this is a forum where people post issues seeking advice from people who have had similar problems. People are not regularly posting their trip with no problems.
There will be more opportunities for leaks than enclosed trailers but I had more problems with roof leaks on my last enclosed camper which were more catastrophic. I believe the risk is greatly outweighed by the rewards in space and experience.
That being said, don't sign anything until you are completely satisfied that you are buying a quality trailer. My family of 5 loves our Roo 17.
Best of luck!
OKC Thunder Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
Best thing you did was back off of the first one. I would have done the same. Good luck when the new one arrives and I'm sure you will check with a fine tooth comb. Later RJD
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
No tent leaks in 7 yrs. of camping in our old Shamrock hybrid (did have a delam. issue with side bunk). Once our new hybrid got seasoned, no water issues.
We just finished tripling our normal June rainfall and set an all time one day record with the tents open (family visiting from Florida and niece wanted to camp out in our driveway). Again, no water.

2015 Shamrock 231KSS, Oyster shell
2016 Chev Silverado LT Z71 Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V/8
Reese Straight Line WDH, 2000W Honda Gen.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote