Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #1

Cool How big of an issue are leaks in newer units / current design?

I was really hoping my first posts would be to introduce myself as a new Shamrock hybrid owner, however yesterday after my PDI experience I felt compelled to come here and search for information & answers, you can read my previous post, but in short, while attempting to pick up a 2016 23IKSS, I discovered daylight in the top corners where the bunk-ends connect to the camper & performed a water hose test with the dealer & like I suspected, it leaked. Unfortunately I didn't feel comfortable it could be fixed in a way I felt would be permanent, so I decided to reject it & left without a camper (talk about a let down). So currently I am waiting on another 23IKSS to arrive from the factory for my inspection & hopefully acceptance.
Naturally this experience has led me to dig deeper into other Roo/Shamrock hybrid owner experiences yesterday evening and today, mainly within this forum. It is really concerning at the amount of water intrusion issues being experienced across many models of Roo/Shamrock hybrids. I get that people come here to look for help when they have issues & when people have positive / no incidences there is no reason to come here to report it.
I am left feeling torn about such a large purchase & feeling it is a "high-risk" design, camping is a major part of our lifestyle & the hybrid works great due to their size vs. interior space you get compared to a TT, also I don't want to pay to store it, so it will be parked in my driveway of which I have 25ft max to play with (talk about a small TT) so I really want this to work out.
Is some level of water intrusion to be expected with the hybrids for their entire life? Any other insight you wish to share?
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Pop-Up (2010-2015)
CampTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #2

I've had two hybrids. First one a Wildwood for 10 years never a drop of water. Second one a one year old Roo. It's been dry as a bone. I'm so thankful! I'm in Wi so we have plenty of rain and snow. Good luck with the new trailer😊
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #3

I have had my 2015 IKSS just over a year now and have only experienced 2 Days of rain while camping and have not had any leaks. I guess I am one of the lucky ones that haven't had a water intrusion. Mine is completely sealed off. Only issues I had when I first bought it were my door was sticking and my window had to be replaced as there was a broken part. I had it all under the mfg warranty. Hope you can get one without any issues. I love my hybrid.
JWHybrid2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampTx View Post
I get that people come here to look for help when they have issues & when people have positive / no incidences there is no reason to come here to report it.
This is exactly the case.

We've owned our Roo 23SS for nearly 9 years and NEVER had water intrusion issues,.
Have found a little rain water on a handful of occasions that were easily wiped up with a rag.
But I'm fastidious in checking and cleaning the seals, especially during rainy season.

It's been my experience after 11 years on numerous hybrid forums, that the large majority of hybrid owners don't have major issues with this.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #5

All of this is my opinion only. You are talking about tent ends and extra openings so yes, there is an increased chance of water intrusion over a hard side. I shared your concern and I literally had water pouring in from inadequate seasoning. I have been through multiple storms since then with no water coming in.

The bottom line is you are trading a slightly increased chance of exposure to the elements in exchange for the great asset that is increased exposure to the elements.

Your pdi experience is an exception, not the norm. That said, if you are really nervous about the increased chance of water or troubled by the fact that you may need to be a little more vigilant you might want to be wary. At the end of the day I am amazed how water tight they are given the amount of nature they let in.

If you like the advantages, stick with it and get one without daylight coming in.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #6

21ss no water getting in. Just make sure you wet the tents down. and let them dry in the sun. one or two times and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 2015 21ss havein fun
Hicks43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:10 AM   #7

We've been through numerous heavy rains in our early 2015 23ikss. No water at all. Just be aware it could leak . It is after all a tent on wheels. We had pop ups for 15 years before buying the Shamrock and never had a problem with them either. I would suggest simply being vigilant. Check the tenting regularly, clean the seals, and be careful when folding beds in. A little maintenance goes a long way.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #8

As you stated, this is a forum where people post issues seeking advice from people who have had similar problems. People are not regularly posting their trip with no problems.
There will be more opportunities for leaks than enclosed trailers but I had more problems with roof leaks on my last enclosed camper which were more catastrophic. I believe the risk is greatly outweighed by the rewards in space and experience.
That being said, don't sign anything until you are completely satisfied that you are buying a quality trailer. My family of 5 loves our Roo 17.
Best of luck!
OKC Thunder Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Best thing you did was back off of the first one. I would have done the same. Good luck when the new one arrives and I'm sure you will check with a fine tooth comb. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #10

No tent leaks in 7 yrs. of camping in our old Shamrock hybrid (did have a delam. issue with side bunk). Once our new hybrid got seasoned, no water issues.
We just finished tripling our normal June rainfall and set an all time one day record with the tents open (family visiting from Florida and niece wanted to camp out in our driveway). Again, no water.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #11

The long and winding road...

Pretty much what others have said. Love the hybrid, but recognize the compromises. Annual inspection for leakage of any kind is mandatory, as with any RV. We store ours at the house as well, but use a cover and bunk end gasket protection over the winter.

The (all in fun) story so far...

Wife's family had a Jayco Jay Cardinal pop-up from the '70's. No leakage problems in over thirty years of use. Even replaced all the seriously worn canvas and cushions around year twenty as a family project! Jayco supplied all the replacement material pre-cut and ready to go! Local dealer was useless for this project, but direct contact with Jayco was superb.

The Cardinal was retired to Montana for stationary use by a young family building a log home; huge upgrade from the army tent! When the young husband mentioned the baby on the way and asked if the tires would make it the 600 odd kms to the dream house my Father in Law knew he had a buyer!

We replaced the tent trailer with a 2008 Jayco 23B hybrid. No bunk end leaks in eight years of use. Unfortunately the roof membrane was compromised while parking it for the winter, resulting in complete roof failure. The issue would have happened with a travel trailer with a similar roof membrane, and the offending tree is no longer around. Jayco has since revised their roof design to have a curved profile (like the Roo ), so the chance of total roof failure is greatly reduced. This is where we learnt the hard way about inspecting things.

With the last year replacement Roo we experienced bunk end leakage much like you describe. It was not discovered on the PDI as it was raining very hard, we were very excited with our new unit, and we did not open the bunks. It was the rear bunk, which is hard to examine in the up position. Big mistake! There was moisture all the way over to the side bunk.

We determined the leak cause; a giant lump of Dicor roof sealant dropped on the top gasket during manufacture. No leaks since we removed the Dicor and properly seasoned the bunk ends. I put a picture up of the Dicor here...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-74901-4.html

The dealer was completely useless on this issue. Surprising as they sell a ton of hybrids. They insisted all three bunk ends needed replacement. Nothing happened for several weeks, as Forest River seems to have (quite rightly) completely rejected this notion. The dealership actually burnt down while our trailer was in for evaluation; fortunately not further damaged. The final dealer comedy was after waiting for about eight weeks for additional water testing (required by Forest River to consider a warranty claim) we were informed the night before our appointment that the dealer didn't have a garden hose at their temporary service location, so we were basically 'on our own' if we wanted to get in touch with Forest River.

Anyway, the learning was that if water gets by the gasket system it can get in to the unit interior through new unseasoned bunk ends. You did the right thing to reject the compromised unit, as who needs the hassle and heaven knows where moisture has got during shipment and storage. The other learning is that RV dealers are a unique bunch; needless to say we have made alternate arrangements for any additional service work and parts.

The Roo bunk gasket design is (in my view) not as good as the Jayco design. Kind of confusing as both manufacturers have changed designs over the years, but I give the nod to Jayco.

The Roo gaskets stand proud of the trailer wall, and use a very soft seal. Jayco gaskets are located within the wall, have a rain lip above the door crack, and have radiused corners rather than potentially leak prone square gasket corners with a gap. They also close much tighter, presumably on harder gasket material.

We didn't notice this design detail difference when we opted for a Roo rather than a new Jayco. Now that we are aware of the issue we are OK with it as a minor limitation, but mitigate things with PVC pipe over the gaskets (as shown in the linked thread) and a ADCO cover during winter storage. Our concern is in Calgary we get very frequent freeze and thaw cycles over the winter, and we worry about ice doing the same thing as the Dicor sealant.

That said, the Roo has nicer features and finish, and we are overall happy with the unit, see it as a huge improvement over the Jayco.

Sorry for the length and ramble. The hybrid positives far outweigh the concerns.

HTH

Stu
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #12

We've had our 23IKSS for a year now. We had some initial leaks but after properly seasoning the tent ends, the front bunk is totally dry. Most of the back bunk stays dry but I do have one corner where we sometimes get a drip. Some seam sealer should do the trick and is on my list for this weekend.
The other type of leak that people experience is leaks while the camper is closed up. We had some minor leaks in the bunk ends during the first few months of ownership, but each time I was able to figure out why. Once it was because some of the fabric was trapped in the seal. Another time there was some pine needles and debris on the top seal when we closed it up. I've realized that the edges of the bunk doors that contact the seals need to be perfectly clean. I also go up on a ladder and check the top seal before closing up. By doing these two simple things we've had zero water while stored or during travel.
You made the right call on the first trailer. Hopefully the next one looks better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #13

Thanks all for your input. Very good information, I appreciate it.
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Pop-Up (2010-2015)
CampTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #14

We had our 2010 Shamrock 23ss for 5 years and loved it. Never had a leak even in torrential rain. We did have some issues with delamination but Forest River was very helpful in solving the problem. The perfect trailer for a family and light and doesn't take up too much room in the driveway. Like all trailers though, inspection and regular maintenance is important.
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #15

Water leaks

Yes, campers do leak. First night out with Cedar Creek, heavy rain storm, water running out of ceiling. Had to get out pots and pans. Back to dealer and they found the air conditioner was not mounted over the roof opening correctly. a 1/2 inch out of line let rain run right in. Good warranty by Forrest River, they added another year bumper to bumper
hamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #16

Had our Roo 19 for 3 yrs. Never had a leak. From reading this forum for the past 3 years, it seems like it's either feast or famine with leaks.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #17

We've had our 2015 shamrock 233s since just last July but have had no problems with leaking. We just got back from a 2 night camping trip where it rained heavily but still no leaks. I guess we're one of the lucky ones.....so far. I just keep an eye on it.
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:08 PM   #18

I've got a 2013 23ss - the only leak detected was when the tent ends weren't quite seasoned good enough.

Even then, I noticed just a couple of drops coming in through the front bunk - knock on wood!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Camped for 12 nights in 2015 - too many cancellations
Camped for 25 nights in 2014!
Camped for 24 nights in 2013!
RedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #19
ARLO

My 1999 wildwood and 2006HR savoy both leaked terribly. My 2010 flagstaff had a very small front window leak that was corrected with a window adjustment.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:51 PM   #20

we picked up our 2015 23ikss roo in april, did 2 nights camping this past weekend .the first night we had condensation on the inside bunks. pugs will be put on for the next trip second night it poured rain. no leaks. love the layout. met every expectation.
muskoka01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak