Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 07:01 AM   #1

How common are leaks?

Seeing all these posts on leaks is freaking me out a little bit (only 2 more sleeps till we get our 2018 Rockwood Roo 21ss). My husband and I owned a tent trailer for many years, we were the second owner (friends with the original owner), only saw basic love from us maintenance wise and never leaked anywhere, and it's an old TT now.
Are leaks in the Roo common, or are these posts out of the ordinary? It's a lot of money to pay for one of these babies and it would be disappointing if there are leak issues.

Melinda
Melssimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #2

The nature of a forum is to discuss problems with whatever you are talking about whether it’s cars, motorcycles, campers, bicycles or even cameras so you’ll always have a disproportionate amount of “issues” than is reality. Also poeopke tend to be more vocal with issues than they are when all things are good.

We’ve had two PU’s in the last 10 years, neither “leaked” but if you look through the PU forum area all you see are leaks, drips, tears, tips, issues, etc., enough to scare people away from them. It’s the nature of people.

You’ll be fine, take what you see and read with a grain of salt because most likely you’ll have zero issues. Just do a carful PDI, follow the guides that are posted in this forum (we did and it helped tremendously) and you’ll be great.

Congrats, we picked our 24ws up on Tuesday and so far couldn’t be happier.
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #3

That is indeed the nature of the forum. Even with popups you had to be vigilant when it comes to leaks. There are also leaks reported in regular trailers, you have to regularly inspect the seams and seals. Our popup had a leak that was not tent related, took us two years to track it down and by then we had a soft floor. With our hybrid, we had a very minor leak only when the bed end was closed that was corrected by the dealer, they tightened the closing rachets and installed a bigger gutter. Have not had any leaks since then and we are very happy campers with our 23ws. And yes, I keep checking.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
rbq

2011 Roo 233S. What leaks? If the bunks are properly seasoned by wetting them down before using then you shouldn't have any problems. Remember that leak complaints are only heard from those who have had them for whatever reason. The vast majority are happy with their Roo's. I know that after 7 years we still like ours.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. I get where you are all coming from regarding the forum. My bad. Just a little anxious and mostly excited to be getting my new trailer.
I do appreciate all the advice on the forum, I've definitely purchased a few things I would not normally have purchased do to the recommendation's of this site.

Melinda
Melssimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #6

Hi, I just bought a new Roo 233S 3 weeks ago. I too was worried about leaking and just completed the easy "just open up the beds, remove the mattresses, and spray water on the outside tent areas, let it dry, repeat, to allow the seams to expand, instructions that I got from this forum". I saw NO water leaks during this process even though some said I might. THEN I decided to simulate a REAL HARD RAIN, NO LEAKS at all! I'm feeling much better now. By the way, this forum is FANTASTIC!! I have posted a few questions and gotten almost immediate (dozens) of GREAT responses. Enjoy!
Wprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #7

The main thing to do is stay vigilant and keep a eye on things and make sure to maintain all the caulk joints. I've has two Roos and just a couple of minor leaks that were taken care of by a little caulk and cleaning seals. You hear more of the bad than the good but you will need to maintain your trailer.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #8

I have owned 6 trailers 4 popups and 2 30 foot plus trailers.Four of the six developed leaks.Three within two years of purchase new.I now inspect several times a year.If left to leak the water will cause serious damage.
Kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #9

Most of the issues with hybrids leaks are either the bunk seals or the tenting... Bunk end seals 2 main causes is an improperly installed seal or the or bunk latches not being tight enough to make a good seal. Both of these issues allow water in the bed area when the beds are closed and are fairly easily corrected. The tenting issues are usually not seasoning the seams or leaking in the bunk end lower corners where a little silicone bead can help... Lots of people including me have no troubles but suffices to say the tent ends and seals do create more opportunities for leaks to happen. You just need to be sure to be vigilant about taking care of any leaks you notice since left unattended can cause serious issues.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:12 PM   #10

6 different travel trailers in 10 years and only 1 leak. Was a improperly installed wall a/c unit and was fixed quickly under warranty. Knock on wood no other issues.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak