Old 09-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #21

You get a lot of resistance and weight from the mattresses. You could try dragging them off and then folding up the bunk.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #22
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
turn on the vent fan or fans inside the trailer and then close the main door. Make sure there are no windows open or a vent open with no fan running. Once everything else is closed up, the tenting on the bunk ends get sucked in making it easier to close with bunk end doors without having to tuck. Meaning that you only have to reach the lower connection rods to close. Even if you have the older style with the upper and lower locking mechanisms, this is a good method to use to avoid tucking
Muddauber, this does NOT work with the older snaps/bungees tent ends.

The OP and I have stated more than once, that she has the older non-preattached tent ends.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
You get a lot of resistance and weight from the mattresses. You could try dragging them off and then folding up the bunk.
I was pretty surprised how different it is. Definitely more than just the weight of the mattress. In my DK I am usually pushing up against the bathroom wall or front dinette and that only adds to it. Another HUGE benefit is tucking the canvas is so easy i don't even do the fantastic fan trick anymore. The material basically just falls in so a quick once around and tuck and it just hangs inside as it isn't fighting the mattress for space.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #24

Use a 6' pipe

I'm 5-8 and wanted to be able to do it by myself. Even with the DW helping, it wasn't easy. There is a row of snaps on the bottom of the bunk (when down). Put the end of a 6' piece of 3/4" electrical conduit (available at hardware stores) under this and lift. It holds up the bunk and lloosens the tension in the cable and gives you enough slack in the tent to tuck it in. Use the pole to raise it the rest of the way. It can be tricky by yourself if the bunk won't stay up by itself, but I have held it with my shoulder while using the pipe to close the latch. Many of the places we camp are not designed for long rigs, so the ground slopes away at the rear, which makes it a reach. On my first trip, I took an 6' stepladder so that I could put the covers on the tents. Worked great, but took a lot of space in the truck.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:29 AM   #25

I have an idea that hasn't been tested yet but I can't wait to give it a try. I'm envisioning one of those extendable/retractable pole sanders (see photos) which consists of a pole and a flat, rectangular head.

I will attempt to permanently attach a piece of rubber to the head of the same width and length.

With this device I should be able to hold the bunk end in a semi-closed position while allowing me to move from side to side to tuck in the canvas. And because the pole allows for adjustable lengths, I should be able to set. Desired length and find the best location on the ground to anchor the opposite end on the ground.

A couple other options come to mind:

1- find a way to attach a female snap to the face of the sander head so that I could snap the device in position on the bunk end male snap until the job of closing the bed is complete.

2- create a permanent flat anchoring block or something that would sit on the ground and provide a more stable anchoring point for the extension poleClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456658949.662442.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	100611Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1456658964.444994.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	100612.

Please share your thoughts.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #26

my suggestion would be to tuck in the side opposite to the door handle....close the door and go on the other side....pull the handle with one hand and tuck in that side.

You can always ask camping neighbors to help you out. Camping people are a big family who in general are more than happy to help
Old 02-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #27
Summer2Go

Huh? Door handles on both sides.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #28
Summer2Go

I am 5'7" and I can do it better as the season progresses, I get a lifting workout. What's really funny, is when I close the front bunk by myself, I have to wiggle around the hitch while holding up the door. I have 3 bunks, and I am very careful about not pinching the canvas, or loosening the tight seal so I don't get leaks. If someone helps me, they are not as careful with the canvas, so I supervise. I have a step ladder for pugs, it rides in the trailer till I set up, then goes underneath the trailer. The step ladder is very lightweight, only a few lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #29

Best thing I learned on here when folding in tent ends is close all windows, turn both Fans on high disconnect the pole on the inside, close main door and ironically there is a vacuum that is created and it sucks in the tent materials makes it simple to close the tent ends, it really works well, maybe that will help make it easier for you.

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #30

6' pipe

I use a 6' or 7' piece of 1/2" electrical metal conduit (available at any hardware store). It props the bunk up enough while I fold in the tent. I place it under a snap, so it doesn't slip. I can then use it to push the bunk up. That is where it gets tricky. You have to hold the bunk up with one hand, and flip one of the latches (with the pipe) with the other.

Tags
bunk, bunks