Old 07-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #101
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Sure I can. Traffic speeded right up after getting by them. Actually we see this a lot but usually it is 2 semi trucks taking up both lanes for several miles. This time I think it was slow semis passing slower RVs. And they were from Texas so I blame 'em for a lot of stuff
Appears to be the folks passing the rv's at a slow speed contributed the most to the congestion.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Appears to be the folks passing the rv's at a slow speed contributed the most to the congestion.
X2.

The biggest problem that I've personally seen on 2 lanes of traffic is that a line forms behind the slowest vehicles because you can't get out into the passing lane. The faster vehicles (of all stripes) will seldom allow a vehicle caught behind those slower vehicles to move over into the passing lane.

So the queue to pass gets ever longer and when you finally get an opportunity to pass it takes a bit to build up speed. It seems to take forever to get around the long queue and now you are contributing to the backup - in both lanes.

Only lot of patience and a little courtesy (and a nice long, straight, flat stretch of road) will help clear up the mess.

1999 SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Eeyore View Post
X2.

The biggest problem that I've personally seen on 2 lanes of traffic is that a line forms behind the slowest vehicles because you can't get out into the passing lane. The faster vehicles (of all stripes) will seldom allow a vehicle caught behind those slower vehicles to move over into the passing lane.

So the queue to pass gets ever longer and when you finally get an opportunity to pass it takes a bit to build up speed. It seems to take forever to get around the long queue and now you are contributing to the backup - in both lanes.

Only lot of patience and a little courtesy (and a nice long, straight, flat stretch of road) will help clear up the mess.
Exactly! My original point was 4 RVs going 55mph on a 75, nose to tail are going to cause a backup on a busy freeway. I think they should either space out or at least travel as fast as the slower semis. I know when our group travels in a caravan we space out so folks going 75 can get around us. But like you said, courtesy and patience helps everyone.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #104

Our Travel Speed is Slower than "Sherman's March To the Sea"! You miss "Way to Much" at Speed, enjoy the journey! Youroo!!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:19 PM   #105

Due to the tires, I drive 60mph on highway.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #106

Almost always stick to an ST tire limited 65mph. Have been up to 70 on rare occasion when I felt the need to bypass a situation.
On our last trip, I tried to keep it at 62-ish and that wasn't too bad; might be my new norm.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #107

Seems to me this whole contentious thread is similar to another sometimes contentious one. You know the one....." can I tow a 7000 lb camper with my chevy s10? Hey , it's a truck. Why not?
Pretty simple.
1. Most trailer tires ( not all ) are rated to 65 mph
2.Most manufacturers install tires that are just barely adequate for the gvr of the camper
So point 1 plus point 2 equals point 3......don't drive faster than 65.
As for holding up traffic, not a big concern of mine. I stay in the right or center lane, and people can pass as they wish. On 2 lane roads, the speed limit is 55. I do that or 60. Shouldn't be holding up traffic at above the limit, right?
I know that in this new touchie-feelie world, we are supposed to be more sensitive to others but I am doing what is safest for my passengers. I wish more were concerned with theirs.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #108
(Dry Huunday)

Cruise control set at 62...no matter if I'm on an Interstate or cruising downtown by city hall...oh.....wait....uhhh...I dont think that's right.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #109

The best answer is: do what you believe is right for you.

[stepping up onto my soapbox]

Like tow limits, tongue weights, leveling methods, gas vs diesel, 1 vs 2 batteries, 12 vs 6 volts, etc. there are no totally write/wrong answers. Just what seems to be right/wrong to you.

Frankly, folks will do as they please (because they believe they are right - or because they haven't given it much thought - or think it doesn't deserve much thought) and generally do not take kindly to kibitzers - no matter how well intentioned we may be. (You deserve to understand why I'm right and you're wrong. . . )

To some the only real speed limit in this world is the speed of the rig in front of them.
Others (like myself) like to over-analyze the available information to justify their original position/opinion - don't overtax those tires!
Others actually do know what they are talking about. (Just ask them - they'll tell you they know what they're talking about. )
There are still others doing stuff I don't understand at all.

So - I return to the beginning - do what you feel is right for you.

But don't get PO'd when you get flipped off some day for going too slow, too fast, too something or other. . .

Hey! We're all just trying to have fun, right?

[getting booted off my soapbox]
1999 SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Eeyore View Post
The best answer is: do what you believe is right for you.

[stepping up onto my soapbox]

Like tow limits, tongue weights, leveling methods, gas vs diesel, 1 vs 2 batteries, 12 vs 6 volts, etc. there are no totally write/wrong answers. Just what seems to be right/wrong to you.

Frankly, folks will do as they please (because they believe they are right - or because they haven't given it much thought - or think it doesn't deserve much thought) and generally do not take kindly to kibitzers - no matter how well intentioned we may be. (You deserve to understand why I'm right and you're wrong. . . )

To some the only real speed limit in this world is the speed of the rig in front of them.
Others (like myself) like to over-analyze the available information to justify their original position/opinion - don't overtax those tires!
Others actually do know what they are talking about. (Just ask them - they'll tell you they know what they're talking about. )
There are still others doing stuff I don't understand at all.

So - I return to the beginning - do what you feel is right for you.

But don't get PO'd when you get flipped off some day for going too slow, too fast, too something or other. . .

Hey! We're all just trying to have fun, right?

[getting booted off my soapbox]
X2

Those who think they know it all are irritating to those of us who do!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote