Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
Speeding while pulling a trailer should be automatic double fine, people you've got in a lot of cases double your tow vehicles weight behind you. I don't care if you put your life in danger, I do care if you put my family's life in danger because you're in a big ass hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I don't think anybody here said anything about speeding and we all take our lives in our hands anytime we venture out.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:15 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
Speeding while pulling a trailer should be automatic double fine, people you've got in a lot of cases double your tow vehicles weight behind you. I don't care if you put your life in danger, I do care if you put my family's life in danger because you're in a big ass hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Exactly. Just because you "can" doesn't mean you should.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #83

My TV 5VER and i like to set the cruise at 63 sit back and enjoy the drive a wise man once said slow and steady wins the race

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #84

I run at 61 MPH seem the best speed for travel and fuel milage for my setup. I do get passed by many rig going much faster.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #85

I drive to road conditions ( not speeding ) of weather , and traffic but most of the time its between 60 and 65 on interstates
( never drive faster then your angel can fly)
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
So when I pass all you slow and steadies I'll shake my head and call you a rolling roadblock and you can shake your head and call me an impatient idiot. But I'm betting we all get where we are going at the end of the day.

Then to make things worse all 4 RVs were from Texas. Sorry... couldn't help myself.
When we see you in the ditch, on your side, cause you blew a tire, doing 85, we will be sure to wave, as we crawl on by.

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist.

On our way home from up north last weekend, we had a SUV pull on the freeway in front of us. He was towing what appeared to be a mid 60's Chrysler Newport (Huge back seat, great for parking ) on a trailer that was way too small, The car was hanging over the back so far that he was lucky to have any tongue weight at all on the tow vehicle. You could tell too, because at 55 the trailer was swaying all over the place and he was still accelerating. We stayed bhind him for about a mile or so and then I finally decided that was the wrong place to be, so I kicked it up to 75 as I passed him. And yes, I am driving a motor home while pulling a trailer, but when you have a properly loaded, properly aligned tandem axle trailer behind you, it is easy to forget it is even there.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #87

I've read a lot of quotes and thought I would ask this one. I pull a Shamrock 23IKSS with a Durango and yes, it has a Hemi. It likes to cruise 65 at 2500 rpm which its where I like it as well. So here's my question.
I've heard that you shouldn't use your cruise control when towing because it creates a lot strain from all the pulling and pushing. You also don't get proper gas mileage. Do you folks who use CC find this to be true?

USMC - Semper Fi
Carlosrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #88
Who Dares, Wins

I never used my cc in my 1500, Beverly worked right. Same trailer with 2500 I use it all the time with out issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosrod View Post
I've read a lot of quotes and thought I would ask this one. I pull a Shamrock 23IKSS with a Durango and yes, it has a Hemi. It likes to cruise 65 at 2500 rpm which its where I like it as well. So here's my question.
I've heard that you shouldn't use your cruise control when towing because it creates a lot strain from all the pulling and pushing. You also don't get proper gas mileage. Do you folks who use CC find this to be true?
When I drove a gas engine truck I rarely used CC as it usually caused transmission gear searching for the least little incline.

Now that I have a diesel I use CC all the time towing on the freeway and really don't notice any difference in fuel mileage with or without CC.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
When we see you in the ditch, on your side, cause you blew a tire, doing 85, we will be sure to wave, as we crawl on by.

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist.
I realize you were half-joking but what dark rationalizations you have!!! And what's funny in these threads is that when I complain about folks who drive 55 in a 75 everyone assumes I'm a speedster. We rarely drive over 70 while towing.

I grew up pulling oversize gooseneck flatbeds loaded with farm equipment all over the country, and now RVs. Had my share of tire failures in the whole range of speeds. Never came close to landing in the ditch or rolling over. But I do find it interesting most folks think that is what will happen if you have a tire failure. No wonder so many drive so slow and worry about every little thing

But on another note, I have noticed that tires in general seem to be much less reliable than way back when. Seems the tires from a few decades ago took much more abuse before failing while today's tires have to be constantly monitored and replaced much more frequently. Or maybe it's just selective remembering

Old 07-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #91
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I would find myself in the ditch by driving 50-55 thru Arizona / Texas on I 10. Z-Z-Z-Z-Z
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #92

62mph with a toad, feel comfortable there. I just sit back and keep it between the lines ~300 or so miles per day.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #93

Latest info from AAA notes that the speed limit while towing is all over the map (literally):
Check: Trailer Speed Limits - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

In this litigious age, getting into an accident when exceeding your equipment's limits (tires, weight, speed, etc.) may be very costly. Remember, the computers on vehicles record how fast you are traveling...

Saw this on a site:

While each vehicle reaches its optimal fuel economy at a different speed (or range of speeds), gas mileage usually decreases rapidly speeds above 55 miles per hour. Just slowing down from 65 mph to 55 mph can increase your miles per gallon by as much as 15 percent.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), as a rule of thumb, you can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.21 per gallon for gas (at $3.00 per gallon).
So, the Fuel Economy Benefit of driving slower is between 7 and 23 percent. The equivalent gasoline savings is $0.21 to $0.71 per gallon.

Let's take two hypothetical drivers, Bill and Bob. They need to go 60 freeway miles from City A to City B. Both cars get 30 miles per gallon if the driver stayed at 55 mph, the posted speed limit.
Bill travels at 55, but Bob speeds and does 75 mph - wanting to get there sooner.
At 75 mph, it would take Bob about 48 minutes to reach the destination.
At 55 mph, it takes Bill about 65 minutes to reach the destination.
At 55 mph, Bill used 2 gallons of gasoline. At $2.80/gallon, that's $5.60 to drive the distance.
At 75 mph, Bob would use 2.5 gallons of gasoline. At $2.80/gallon, that would be $7.00 to go the same distance.

But it cost Bob $157.00 and he got there AFTER Bill! WHY?

Bob was ticketed for speeding! $150 is the average speeding ticket in the U.S. And if he had been going 80 or higher the fine could have been even more, and he may have had to appear before a judge, cited for reckless driving and even ended up spending some time in jail.

For me, even when not towing, I set the adaptive CC for 65 and enjoy the right lane.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I realize you were half-joking but what dark rationalizations you have!!! And what's funny in these threads is that when I complain about folks who drive 55 in a 75 everyone assumes I'm a speedster. We rarely drive over 70 while towing.

You want to know what I find amazing?

It's that fact that if an 80 year old geezer, who just so happens to be a senior member of this group said the same thing, YOU would have LYAoff. but since I am a newbie, I get the fifth degree for trying to inject some humor into a rather dull conversation.

I bet you never took the time to read the entire post about the SUV driver who was putting everyone on the road lives in danger by pulling a dangerously unbalanced load.

I am quite sorry, if you didn't feel that humor is allowed on this site, or should I say, that the only time humor is allowed is if the writer happens to be a senior member.

Actually, I am waiting for the FORUM POLICE to get on my case for interjecting humor, simply because I have not nor probably never will gain enough seniority here to be able to.

Have you ever wondered why so many newbies, come in seeking answers, never to return after they have received them? Its because of the way they are treated.

Is this a forum for all or just for the select few? At times it reminds me of a senior high school clique...where no matter how hard you try, you will never be allowed in.

so much for the rant and my trying to offer any help.

later and be happy another person has been run off.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #95

If you are trying to be humerous, then use the laughing icon. That's why it's there!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #96

This happened locally last weekend. Washington State Patrol said the driver of the SUV was traveling to fast into a turn. Be safe out there.

7 patients involved in Hwy. 101 rollover crash near Olympia | KIRO-TV
Old 07-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwppwc View Post
This happened locally last weekend. Washington State Patrol said the driver of the SUV was traveling to fast into a turn. Be safe out there.

7 patients involved in Hwy. 101 rollover crash near Olympia | KIRO-TV
Think they'll total it?

This is why I say never put your pets in a travel trailer while moving.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #98

humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Have E tires on TT but stay at 60-63 to ease stress on old driver. At 60-63 in slow lane of interstate I don't run up on slower vehicles in the FAST lane which would annoy me to no end. I hate slow vehicles in the fast lane, don't know why they live in the left lane! Drives me crazy; thus 60-63 in the right lane.
No humor intended.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #99

Upgrade your tires.

My tires are rated for 81 MPH and up one load range from factory, so I don't worry about blowouts anymore. I find my mileage goes down dramatically if I drive 75 mph, so I usually drive around 65, unless I'm creating congestion of traffic. On a crowded highway, driving slow can cause accidents.

We towed from Ouray to Silverton CO, last month. Rated Scariest Highway in America. Speed Limit 25 mph, and that seemed a little fast to me. Narrow road with a cliff on one side.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #100

with previous truck and trailer 62, Now it's 65 with the new set up.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote