Old 07-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
Speeding while pulling a trailer should be automatic double fine, people you've got in a lot of cases double your tow vehicles weight behind you. I don't care if you put your life in danger, I do care if you put my family's life in danger because you're in a big ass hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I don't think anybody here said anything about speeding and we all take our lives in our hands anytime we venture out.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
Speeding while pulling a trailer should be automatic double fine, people you've got in a lot of cases double your tow vehicles weight behind you. I don't care if you put your life in danger, I do care if you put my family's life in danger because you're in a big ass hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Exactly. Just because you "can" doesn't mean you should.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #83

My TV 5VER and i like to set the cruise at 63 sit back and enjoy the drive a wise man once said slow and steady wins the race
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #84

I run at 61 MPH seem the best speed for travel and fuel milage for my setup. I do get passed by many rig going much faster.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #85

I drive to road conditions ( not speeding ) of weather , and traffic but most of the time its between 60 and 65 on interstates
( never drive faster then your angel can fly)
Old 07-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
So when I pass all you slow and steadies I'll shake my head and call you a rolling roadblock and you can shake your head and call me an impatient idiot. But I'm betting we all get where we are going at the end of the day.

Then to make things worse all 4 RVs were from Texas. Sorry... couldn't help myself.
When we see you in the ditch, on your side, cause you blew a tire, doing 85, we will be sure to wave, as we crawl on by.

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist.

On our way home from up north last weekend, we had a SUV pull on the freeway in front of us. He was towing what appeared to be a mid 60's Chrysler Newport (Huge back seat, great for parking ) on a trailer that was way too small, The car was hanging over the back so far that he was lucky to have any tongue weight at all on the tow vehicle. You could tell too, because at 55 the trailer was swaying all over the place and he was still accelerating. We stayed bhind him for about a mile or so and then I finally decided that was the wrong place to be, so I kicked it up to 75 as I passed him. And yes, I am driving a motor home while pulling a trailer, but when you have a properly loaded, properly aligned tandem axle trailer behind you, it is easy to forget it is even there.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #87

I've read a lot of quotes and thought I would ask this one. I pull a Shamrock 23IKSS with a Durango and yes, it has a Hemi. It likes to cruise 65 at 2500 rpm which its where I like it as well. So here's my question.
I've heard that you shouldn't use your cruise control when towing because it creates a lot strain from all the pulling and pushing. You also don't get proper gas mileage. Do you folks who use CC find this to be true?

USMC - Semper Fi
Carlosrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #88
Who Dares, Wins

I never used my cc in my 1500, Beverly worked right. Same trailer with 2500 I use it all the time with out issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosrod View Post
I've read a lot of quotes and thought I would ask this one. I pull a Shamrock 23IKSS with a Durango and yes, it has a Hemi. It likes to cruise 65 at 2500 rpm which its where I like it as well. So here's my question.
I've heard that you shouldn't use your cruise control when towing because it creates a lot strain from all the pulling and pushing. You also don't get proper gas mileage. Do you folks who use CC find this to be true?
When I drove a gas engine truck I rarely used CC as it usually caused transmission gear searching for the least little incline.

Now that I have a diesel I use CC all the time towing on the freeway and really don't notice any difference in fuel mileage with or without CC.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
When we see you in the ditch, on your side, cause you blew a tire, doing 85, we will be sure to wave, as we crawl on by.

Sorry, but I just couldn't resist.
I realize you were half-joking but what dark rationalizations you have!!! And what's funny in these threads is that when I complain about folks who drive 55 in a 75 everyone assumes I'm a speedster. We rarely drive over 70 while towing.

I grew up pulling oversize gooseneck flatbeds loaded with farm equipment all over the country, and now RVs. Had my share of tire failures in the whole range of speeds. Never came close to landing in the ditch or rolling over. But I do find it interesting most folks think that is what will happen if you have a tire failure. No wonder so many drive so slow and worry about every little thing

But on another note, I have noticed that tires in general seem to be much less reliable than way back when. Seems the tires from a few decades ago took much more abuse before failing while today's tires have to be constantly monitored and replaced much more frequently. Or maybe it's just selective remembering